Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MB doesn't do a very good job of letting us know when preventative maintenance is due on the 129, 124, and 201 single arm windshield wiper assembly.

So rather than reinvent the wheel I strongly suggest that ALL 129 owners read the following links and decide what is best for each owner. But, I have to ask "can you afford another $1K+ repair bill in lieu of such a simple DIY"?

How to lubricate the wiper mechanism

R129 Wiper Blade R&R Note: this is an early R129 and the plastic cover comes off differently on later models.

Hesitating Wiper Fix

Mono Windshield Wiper Gear Failure

How to remove the entire wiper assembly to disassemble and R&R the wiper gear.

Mercedes 129 Wiper Motor, Transmission, and Arm Assembly | eBay

Mercedes Wiper Gear for the 129,124, and 201.

Mercedes Wiper Gear for the 129,124, and 201

Mercedes - Bosch Wiper Transmission Gear - 129 Chassis

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 SL550 Silver Arrow Launch Edition, 2013 Mercedes Benz C300 4Matic
986 Posts
Thanks, Lynns! A worthwhile task to prevent a multitude of problems. Doing it this weekend!

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
I thought the person in the youtube video might be able do the work a little more easily if he had raised the hood to the perpendicular position (two notches/latches on the sides).

·
Premium Member
2015 Jaguar XF R Sport Twin Turbo, 1992 500sl Pano, 1999 CBR 1100XX, Super BlackBird, Jaguar X Type
4,818 Posts
I thought the person in the youtube video might be able do the work a little more easily if he had raised the hood to the perpendicular position (two notches/latches on the sides).
Perhaps he didn't know :)

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
After doing mine, I didn't find it necessary.

·
Registered
05 C215 CL 500, 96 SL 500 PANO,96 W124 220CE,03 Smart 450 Cabrio, 96 W124 220CE, 07 Ford Transit!
431 Posts
Thanks for that Lynns, another job to do when the monsoon season (summer) is finished here

·
Registered
94 SL600, 89 Jag XJS conv, 85 Daimler Princess, 97 993 63 Avanti 16 Lincoln MKZ hybrid 16 Silverado
720 Posts
FWIW The turtle shell removal is not all the same. The housing is not always open with a nail under a flexible edge. Lubrication is always good to do, as is positioning the wiper motor for the proper alignment on the glass. the blade should not drag across the metal frame! ;)

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FWIW The turtle shell removal is not all the same. The housing is not always open with a nail under a flexible edge.
Agreed, I was able to remove the shell w/o any tools on my 2000. Just bare hands unclipping the tail end on both sides and lifting. But the wiper arm needs to be wiggled off after using an Allen Head Wrench on the single bolt before the cover will come off completely.

·
Registered
1999 SL500 Sport, Black Opal Pearl, Helios Leather, Pano roof, AMG Aero2 18"Split Rims, Rear Seats
1,212 Posts
Lynn, As a matter of interest how did the inside of yours look. Was it in fair shape or in desperate need of a clean and lube

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Lynn, As a matter of interest how did the inside of yours look. Was it in fair shape or in desperate need of a clean and lube
As you know I live in a temperate, low rainfall area, and really try not to drive when it rains because I don't want to spend all the time that it takes to clean a black car. So my wiper assembly was in good shape on the inside. But the area that needed lubrication was DRY and after I did the maintenance the wiper assembly was quieter except for a slight WHOOSHING sound that I think was there from the beginning. It makes the sound w/o the wiper arm attached and is either normal or coming from the LINKAGE under the shell. But I'm not concerned at this point and I'm glad that I decided to investigate the matter.

·
Premium Member
2015 Jaguar XF R Sport Twin Turbo, 1992 500sl Pano, 1999 CBR 1100XX, Super BlackBird, Jaguar X Type
4,818 Posts
Made a start on mine today, got the first clip and arm off but couldn't find any clips or way to remove the larger cap. The cap seems to be in one piece underneath at the back no edges to pull at and I think I can feel some screw holes.
As the pic shows there seems to be a joint between top and bottom, I have a feeling it maybe screwed together underneath. If anyone knows how to access the sliders inside I would appreciate some help, mines a 92 were the earlier ones different?
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
94 SL600, 89 Jag XJS conv, 85 Daimler Princess, 97 993 63 Avanti 16 Lincoln MKZ hybrid 16 Silverado
720 Posts
In the 94, the turtle shell has a screw on the underside ( if you remove the wiper motor ) In addition, the center nut and "C" ring may need to be removed. I ended up with it all apart! :(

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,116 Posts
For older R129. you'll need to remove the whole assembly before you can open it up.

Early ones has metal shell, later ones are plastic.

·
Registered
1999 SL500 Sport, Black Opal Pearl, Helios Leather, Pano roof, AMG Aero2 18"Split Rims, Rear Seats
1,212 Posts
Thank's guy's, looks like my job is more complicated than expected. I hope there is a removal thread for this, I must do a search lol.

There is a youtube vid on removal from a w202. Seeing whats involved I would leave well alone unless you have a problem.
Most references suggest remove the cover of the wiper arm ram and grease that only so in your case I think that would be the prudent option or you might end up with a hand full of broken plastic trim pieces

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Thank's for the vid wayneg, the procedure looks ok but like you say with 20yr old plastics there could be a lot of fastener damage. My wiper stopped and seized a couple of weeks ago mainly due I think from lack of use. The only time my SL see's rain is if I am caught out on a nice day as happened on that occasion.
I lubricated the main ram and have tried to get silicone spray on any other available nooks and crannies. The wiper goes much faster and smoother now, I will use a slowly slowly approach when I get round to removing it from the car.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,116 Posts
If you think you need to do it often, may be just drill a small hole at the shell to shoot lube inside, and put a plug in it when done.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
I had considered doing that, but am reluctant to do so having spent a lot of my last couple of years ownership, repairing the previous owners shortcuts. I think if I get the inside shell done properly (it seems pretty weather tight) I may not need to do it for another 3/4 yrs. Just keep the main external ram well lubricated. But then again it does seem the easy option.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I did the grease-up up today using lithium based grease as per the great instructions. Took no more than 15mins so its a no brainer not doing it unless you have the early cover as Poundy. I would still do the ram if thats your case as mine was dry before the lube.

·
Registered
1997 SL500, 1948 Rover 75 P3, 1984 Citroen 2CV, 1953 BSA Bantam D1, 1966 Velosolex Moped
1,141 Posts
I did the grease-up up today using lithium based grease as per the great instructions. Took no more than 15mins so its a no brainer not doing it unless you have the early cover as Poundy. I would still do the ram if thats your case as mine was dry before the lube.
Thanks for the instructions, just like Wayne in Oz I did my '97 today but it took me 30 minutes. This is obviously because grease is easier to apply to the underside of the shaft when you are upside down - it stops it falling off.....;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts