Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1984 500SL (RHD) 160k miles
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like my internal rain is coming from a failed windshield, or windscreen, seal. Plus the amount of soggy gunk in the channel above the windshield has caused the brightwork clips to rust away, and given me concern about what is under the piece of stianless steel/chrome plate on top of the windscreen cross member. So I've decided to bight the bullet and remove the windscreen myself, following the info on this thread:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1608169-my-560sl-windshield-replacement-pics.html.

I'm going to use one of these kits:
Silverline Windscreen Removal Tool Kit Remover & 2 Pads | eBay

And one of these:
1 x DINITROL 500 WINDSCREEN FITTING KIT BONDING ADHESIVE GLUE SEALANT GLASS OEM | eBay

Whilst i'm there I'm also going to:
POR-15 the entire frame.
dye the fabric seal
fill the cracks in the dashboard
replace the brightwork clips

Is there anything else I should do whilst I'm there?

Also underneath the long piece of stianless steel/chrome plate on top of the windscreen cross member (the bit that the soft top front seal seals to) there appear to be spongy seal bits underneath each end - what are these? I've tried to find the plate and what's underneath it in the EPC to no avail.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
Present Stable = '88 560SL ,'16 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, '06 LR3 HSE, and '17 Newmar Essex
1,318 Posts
Change your A-Pillar seals.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I should have said I've already taken those off, and as a result have a sheared metal screw to remove. I really want to clean up and rust-proof the entire windscreen frame.

·
Registered
US spec MB560SL 1986, Audi A4 and A6, Ford Taunus 1964 17M and 2.0 1975
1,419 Posts
Sunvisor restoration

Please read the Roncallos thread about sunvisor fixings restoration - you will find many practical tips while you are there.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,492 Posts
It looks like my internal rain is coming from a failed windshield, or windscreen, seal. Plus the amount of soggy gunk in the channel above the windshield has caused the brightwork clips to rust away, and given me concern about what is under the piece of stianless steel/chrome plate on top of the windscreen cross member. So I've decided to bight the bullet and remove the windscreen myself, following the info on this thread:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1608169-my-560sl-windshield-replacement-pics.html.

And one of these:
1 x DINITROL 500 WINDSCREEN FITTING KIT BONDING ADHESIVE GLUE SEALANT GLASS OEM | eBay

POR-15 the entire frame.
dye the fabric seal

Also underneath the long piece of stianless steel/chrome plate on top of the windscreen cross member (the bit that the soft top front seal seals to) there appear to be spongy seal bits underneath each end - what are these? I've tried to find the plate and what's underneath it in the EPC to no avail.

Cheers.
Are you planning on re-using the windshield?

I wish you much luck....one little chip on any edge and it's all over.

Not trying to discourage you...just saying.

Windshields are surprisingly sturdy..........when properly installed...........but really fragile otherwise. Be careful and good luck.

PS..... I have fiddled with probably 20 windshields in my life. I've had great luck with the type that fit into a rbber seal. The ones that are glued?
Batting .500.

I've broken 2 removing and 2 installing and successfully installed 4.
All were previously used.

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
Is his the kind that has to be heated up with electricity to remove?

I can photograph the manual pages, if you the online manual is not explicit enough.

I prefer Rust Bullet over Por-15, btw. Terrible to keep one the can is opened though. I don't know if you can get that in the UK though.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. It's the original screen so there's a good chance it'll crack. Fortunately I have a plan B that will cost me £240 for a next day fitting. But I may as well have a go with £40 of tools and adhesive, even at 50/50 odds.

I've had good experience with POR-15. I may also try KBS which I've read is almost the same, but better value.

Will let you now how I get on. If I can post pictures I will, it's just that at the moment I'm working against the clock - I have half the boot metal missing, the rear bumper off, the rear interior out and the screen about to come out and I need to get it all back together by a week friday, working weekends and evenings in the pissing rain (yes and welding!) in a dirt parking lot. not fun.

I may try to take some pics and post after I'm done. If only I had an assistant to photograph whilst I work!

Oh and no I can't see any wires for heating - looks just like standard adhesive. I found the manual pages on the other thread but thanks though.

Cheers.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK here's what I learned (the hard way):
Fold down soft top.
Use a regular stanley knife to cut away the bonded seal on the top and sides of the screen.
Do what you can with the bottom seal but don't worry too much.
Fold the screen out by pushing from inside the car.

DON'T use a windscreen pull-cutter (like the one I bought) as there's no need, and especially don't use it around the bottom of the screen. This is how to crack the screen. You don't really need suction lifters either, you can just lift the screen with gloves.

Hope someone else saves some money from my £220 loss. Still, the screen was bloody old, had a star and was white around the edges, so I suppose a new screen won't be a bad thing. Actually who am I kidding I'd rather have the money. Bollocks.

With the screen out remove the thin chrome/steel piece on top of the screen. Be prepared, you may well find rust!

Cheers.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,492 Posts
OK here's what I learned (the hard way):
Fold down soft top.
Use a regular stanley knife to cut away the bonded seal on the top and sides of the screen.
Do what you can with the bottom seal but don't worry too much.
Fold the screen out by pushing from inside the car.

DON'T use a windscreen pull-cutter (like the one I bought) as there's no need, and especially don't use it around the bottom of the screen. This is how to crack the screen. You don't really need suction lifters either, you can just lift the screen with gloves.

Hope someone else saves some money from my £220 loss. Still, the screen was bloody old, had a star and was white around the edges, so I suppose a new screen won't be a bad thing. Actually who am I kidding I'd rather have the money. Bollocks.

With the screen out remove the thin chrome/steel piece on top of the screen. Be prepared, you may well find rust!

Cheers.
Oh well. Sorry for your troubles.

Do yourself a favour......get the area all cleaned up, protected, the dash sorted etc. Then call a pro to install the new one.

There aren't many things I won't do on a car. Alignment, tire balancing and windshields. Just not worth it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks nobby. The most annoying thing is if I hadn't tried cutting the lower seal with that bloody tool it would have come out. Then again I would still have to cut all the old seal off the old screen which would not have been fun and probably taken more time than I have (leaving for a 2000+ mile road trip on Friday)

Have already popped out all the clips, and wire brushed and POR-15'd all the rust - paint is drying as I write. Hopefully that will keep it solid for a few years.

Still need to fill the dash cracks. A guy is coming to install a new screen tomorrow with any luck.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1984 380 SL
246 Posts
Chrome crossmember

And one of these:

POR-15 the entire frame.
dye the fabric seal

Cheers.
Nice to find this thread in such a timely way! I'm about to attempt what it looks like you just completed. I don't want to take out the windshield and would prefer to not have to mess with any of the "picture frame" chrome around it. I DO want to take off that top chrome piece. I've had a leak coming in from there and I want to see if it's terribly rotted (please no) and what the heck is under there. Please advise your approach. I tried to lift the cross piece from both inside and out. I can barely see but there appears to be screws holding it on from the front. Is this the case? If so, how do I expose them? I already have the A Pillar seals or strips, is there another bit of insulation or rubber that I'll need to replace under that crosspiece?
Many thanks!
Holly

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
there are two screws, one on each side, under the chrome windscreen surround. whatever happens you have to remove this. if the screws aren't too corroded you might be able to use an undersize crosshead screwdriver to undo these. if so then you need to remove the crossmember inner trim (poss also rear view mirror) to reveal the other screws. if not then the windscreen has to come out to drill them (like me).
your leak is either the foam seal between the plate and the crossmember (lucky), or it is the windscreen seal itself (unlucky).
i couldn't find the foam under the crosspiece on the epc so i just made my own from 50mm wide adhesive backed neoprene strip off ebay. 3 or 4mm thickness is probably what you want, use the old seal as a template.
on mine the screen seal was far enough gone that i could push the screen from the inside and see it move. might be worth checking.
cheers.

·
Registered
1984 380 SL
246 Posts
outer windshield trim/brightwork

there are two screws, one on each side, under the chrome windscreen surround. whatever happens you have to remove this.
QUOTE]
I've long had the interior trim off the top of the windshield, initially I thought "how lucky, all these screws will be so easy to remove" They were indeed, but only half the battle. I searched this forum and found posts about using plastic wedges to lift the picture frame off. First it took me forever to find something resembling a plastic wedge. (hints anyone?) I ended up with composite shims from home depot. I removed the small passenger side chrome piece and will have to do a little banging on it to straighten it back out. Unfortunately, the next two pieces have not cooperated. I managed to get the shims under the chrome, but am not able to move it beyond that point. I was prepared to say the hell with it but after reading your post regarding the rotted rubber/waterproofing stuff, I think I should get under there. Suggestions from anyone about what to do to get at those two top screws without breaking my darn windscreen or destroying the chrome in a botched removal attempt, will be much appreciated.:help:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts