Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

301 - 311 of 311 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,554 Posts
I’ve skimmed up to about post 175 and see that it seems that the w140 cartridge / pan might only be necessary if you want a wind deflector to pop up when you slide the glass back. Best I’ve seen of a glass conversion is in the video below. I’ve never seen a good completed one in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
I was under the impression that the w140 cartridge was required because @mclare had transferred the cartridge from a w140 to the 560sel I’d purchased from him. Additionally, I believe @A.Cabral had transferred the cartridge to his 420sel.

However, from the start of this thread, it sure looks like the w140 cartridge is not required to transfer into a gen2 w126.

I have not tried transferring cartridges or even just panels. I do have the glass and cartridge panel from that 560sel because I pulled it all out, and slapped a metal panel in place with sheet metal screws and ductwork connection bars before a kid used the car for a few weeks as his beater before selling it to the monster truck show that ran it over. (Wish I’d been able to pull the crack free dash, motor and differential, maybe the front brakes, but the kid didn’t offer it to me. Oh well.).

In any case, I have the glass panel and arms, and wonder if it’s worth trying to install it in one of two gen2 cars I have access to:
  • my 1986 euro 300se. I don’t want it to remain in this car. So it would be time spent just to learn.
  • my friend’s 300sdl that recently had the sunroof panel bent. It’s possible that other parts could have been bent, making it a bad test bed. Also, I would not want it to remain in this car.
it would make more sense to have someone with a gen2 w126 that they want to keep to attempt to install it in their car.
Great Fonzi, Yes, I want to try your glass panel in my Gen2 560 SEL. i re-read all the threads including the positive Solid Snake and I watched Mike's brother's video and I just want you to check the dimension for me. Is it, basically 20" deep by 37" wide? If the glass panel is within 1/8 or 1/4" of those dimensions I'm pretty sure it'll work. Happy to have whatever is attached to it. Happy to pay the freight. Let's try it. Let me know what you need. Doug Day, MaineMercedes 560 SEL 1988. I have my metal panel back in but it's still tweaked. Eager to try the glass panel.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Definitely for sale. I will definitely not use it. The w126 car I took it out of had a 1/4-1/2” gap all the way around then glass because the seal was not installed. I understand that is a difficult job. The car was sold to me sight unseen and the seller neglected to state that the car had no headliner. I too the cartridge and the euro headlights from the car and saved them in case I wanted to use the parts on other w126 sedans I have. I definitely don’t want to do the glass sunroof conversion. So the parts sit collecting dust. Let me know before you come this way so I can put all the parts together and take pictures. I think the glass is dark like black. I think the sunroof panel has the headliner (but the car didn’t).
OK, great. Let's just measure your glass and tell me the dimensions, then if I'm close, I'll deal with the new 140 Seal. I have a new metal seal. If the dimensions are close enough I think It'll work. PM me please. or 207-449-9693

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,554 Posts
The glass is in the trunk of one of the w126 down on the farm. I won’t get to it before the middle of next week at the earliest. Sorry I forgot that it was not here with the pan and wind deflector and all the other parts. Sorry. I will update this thread when I have the parts all together in hand and boxed and ready to ship. They were installed in a 560sel. I’m not able to measure them at this time.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Great, Fonzi. If the glass was already in a 560 SEL then it fits. Yeah, if it's possible, bring the glass back with you next week. Fine. Where are you in the country? Give me a PM and I'll be most grateful. Doug Day

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,554 Posts
Great, Fonzi. If the glass was already in a 560 SEL then it fits. Yeah, if it's possible, bring the glass back with you next week. Fine. Where are you in the country? Give me a PM and I'll be most grateful. Doug Day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
Right. I think that is the legit gap filled by the seal. That's fine. the seal should take up that gap. Doug
Let me know what you want for the glass and describe how much of the cartridge is with it, shape of the arms, etc. Thanks. If I end up driving my new/old 300 SE '90 back from Houston I'll be stopping in to pick up the sunroof in person. Cheers, Doug Day, Maine
PM me the address please.

301 - 311 of 311 Posts