Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

281 - 300 of 311 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Right. So the cable attaches below (where the tracks are still connected) and therefore the panel can still be pulled open and closed because you never disconnected the cable to change the panel. Right?

·
Registered
186 Posts
The Snake's helpful side by side photo of glass sunroof and metal panel is very helpful to understand the attachment points on the metal sunroof panel, sort of.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Snake? Are you still around? Care to put your insight to work on this thread? This issue is no longer the Conversion Modification of metal to glass, but simply changing the metal panel from dented to not dented. Care to get us up to the VOILA point? Thanks, DDAY

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,554 Posts
I believe the panel is bolted to the tracks much like a seat and the cable is attached to the track. So I don’t think you have to remove the cable connection.
I think I remember the sides being free floating in the tracks, and pretty easy to remove. Maybe pulling up the front of the moonroof and moving it beyond the “close” position would expose the connection point of the cable to the panel. I do remember having to somehow disconnect the cable from the motor in order to remove the entire system.

I have the entire glass cartridge sitting in my garage, and could probably climb to it, but bet there’s an easier way to get the answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well, easy or hard, I'd love the answer to this. I'm going to reread the long instructions in the manual and see if I missed something. stay tuned. DD

·
Registered
186 Posts

well, that seems pretty clear. Still 5 "let control run back" scares me. Where's it gonna run to? Will it run right back? When that rabbit is back in the briar patch, what's to say he won't stay there?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think I remember the sides being free floating in the tracks, and pretty easy to remove. Maybe pulling up the front of the moonroof and moving it beyond the “close” position would expose the connection point of the cable to the panel. I do remember having to somehow disconnect the cable from the motor in order to remove the entire system.

I have the entire glass cartridge sitting in my garage, and could probably climb to it, but bet there’s an easier way to get the answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let me know if you are willing to sell that glass cartridge, Fonzi. I'm going to try to straighten my roof panel and see if it is able to be painted, but I have my doubts since the back edge is bent down almost two inches. Thanks, D Day

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,554 Posts
Let me know if you are willing to sell that glass cartridge, Fonzi. I'm going to try to straighten my roof panel and see if it is able to be painted, but I have my doubts since the back edge is bent down almost two inches. Thanks, D Day
Yes. It’s a big item to ship. Where are you located? I’m just south of Philly.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks, Fonzi. I may have a reason to drive south of Philly, and I have a pal near by. Is yours a bronze color or black? Have you decided not to use it? You are willing to sell it to me? If I pick it up? Doug Day

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,554 Posts
Definitely for sale. I will definitely not use it. The w126 car I took it out of had a 1/4-1/2” gap all the way around then glass because the seal was not installed. I understand that is a difficult job. The car was sold to me sight unseen and the seller neglected to state that the car had no headliner. I too the cartridge and the euro headlights from the car and saved them in case I wanted to use the parts on other w126 sedans I have. I definitely don’t want to do the glass sunroof conversion. So the parts sit collecting dust. Let me know before you come this way so I can put all the parts together and take pictures. I think the glass is dark like black. I think the sunroof panel has the headliner (but the car didn’t).

·
Registered
186 Posts
Definitely for sale. I will definitely not use it. The w126 car I took it out of had a 1/4-1/2” gap all the way around then glass because the seal was not installed. I understand that is a difficult job. The car was sold to me sight unseen and the seller neglected to state that the car had no headliner. I too the cartridge and the euro headlights from the car and saved them in case I wanted to use the parts on other w126 sedans I have. I definitely don’t want to do the glass sunroof conversion. So the parts sit collecting dust. Let me know before you come this way so I can put all the parts together and take pictures. I think the glass is dark like black. I think the sunroof panel has the headliner (but the car didn’t).
that's interesting. In other words, the w126 car you acquired already had a glass sunroof (from a 140) in it without the rubber seal. Bolted in but leaking. From what I've read a little modification is necessary, but I may be able to bolt the glass in with new seals and keep my lower cartridge track in place. Anyway, hold on to it for me. It probably weighs 30-40 pounds complete? It's an entire cartridge. Big box, bubble wrap, $60 shipping on UPS most likely. Could be OK. Thanks. Doug

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,554 Posts
The cartridge has to change. I took side by side pictures of a cartridge I pulled from a 1989 300se and the cartridge I pulled from the 560sel with the w140 conversion done by Michael Clare. I’m sorry I don’t know where the pictures are. Ok. I took a video and posted it in post 242 in this thread: DIY W140 moonroof into W126

·
Registered
186 Posts
Right, watched your video discussion post 242 and have all the same questions; but if I'm willing to find the seal and fit the glass, I might be happy to not open the sunroof and have the glass roof. My issue is: a dented metal panel, so I'm more receptive to a working, non-leaking roof. But go to the trouble, I'll probably try to find the metal panel and new seals. The guy who did the glass conversion is tickled pink with his successful job, so that's encouraging. If I get my dented roof panel out, can straighten it, paint it and have it work, great. If your glass fits, also great. Will let you know if I want the entire glass cartridge. Thanks, Doug Day, maine

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,554 Posts
The glass roof don’t “leak” even though it surely collected water. There are drains in all four corners of the pan that need to be connected and functional. That’s how Michael Clare’s 560sel was setup, but I saw in his thread about driving across the country in a snowstorm, he wasn’t able to stay warm in the car. I imagine the unsealed sunroof was a big problem letting all the heat out. That car sadly ended up getting crushed in a monster truck rally despite me telling the kid I sold to to to let me know if he stops driving it bc I wanted the dash and rear end from it, and probably many other things. Oh well.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The glass roof don’t “leak” even though it surely collected water. There are drains in all four corners of the pan that need to be connected and functional. That’s how Michael Clare’s 560sel was setup, but I saw in his thread about driving across the country in a snowstorm, he wasn’t able to stay warm in the car. I imagine the unsealed sunroof was a big problem letting all the heat out. That car sadly ended up getting crushed in a monster truck rally despite me telling the kid I sold to to to let me know if he stops driving it bc I wanted the dash and rear end from it, and probably many other things. Oh well.
Thanks, Fonzi. Let's stay in touch on this. I may ask magicbigdaddy about the heater also. Good reminder! Thanks, I'll get a roof on my 560 SEL yet. Doug Day

·
Registered
186 Posts
Solid Snake can you list up the exact parts needed from a W140 to do the conversion and pics of each component if you have them.

I contacted an overseas wrecker and he advised:
the glass $220
Shade $120
mechanism $120
So $450 for all.
The frame is not possible to ship, first its heavy and over-sized

So is the W140 frame needed or not?
Thanks
I think not. If I understand it correctly, the glass should fit as the metal panel does. If it wasn't coming from Russia I'd buy the whole thing. I believe I've found the glass in Philadelphia. Thanks for your help. Doug Day

·
Registered
186 Posts
Absolutely; once the repair thread was started I had a gut feeling and I'm glad I followed it! The glass for the W140 was made by Webasto, and is a very thick, durable pane of glass. I have no fears of damage or injury to be caused by the part, as it met mid 90s Mercedes standards 👍
Solid, can I ask you to reaffirm: Does the Glass from the 140 fit into a W126 (560 SEL '88 Gen II) and connect with those 8mm bolts (two a side) ONLY? Since my lower mechanism works, could the modification be as simple as dropping in the glass and centering with four 8mm bolts? Finally: do you know a current source for the glass? May, 20, 2020 MaineMercedes/Doug Day

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,554 Posts
I was under the impression that the w140 cartridge was required because @mclare had transferred the cartridge from a w140 to the 560sel I’d purchased from him. Additionally, I believe @A.Cabral had transferred the cartridge to his 420sel.

However, from the start of this thread, it sure looks like the w140 cartridge is not required to transfer into a gen2 w126.

I have not tried transferring cartridges or even just panels. I do have the glass and cartridge panel from that 560sel because I pulled it all out, and slapped a metal panel in place with sheet metal screws and ductwork connection bars before a kid used the car for a few weeks as his beater before selling it to the monster truck show that ran it over. (Wish I’d been able to pull the crack free dash, motor and differential, maybe the front brakes, but the kid didn’t offer it to me. Oh well.).

In any case, I have the glass panel and arms, and wonder if it’s worth trying to install it in one of two gen2 cars I have access to:
  • my 1986 euro 300se. I don’t want it to remain in this car. So it would be time spent just to learn.
  • my friend’s 300sdl that recently had the sunroof panel bent. It’s possible that other parts could have been bent, making it a bad test bed. Also, I would not want it to remain in this car.
it would make more sense to have someone with a gen2 w126 that they want to keep to attempt to install it in their car.

281 - 300 of 311 Posts