Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

261 - 280 of 311 Posts

·
Registered
'82 500sec euro, '95 Ford F150
1,584 Posts
I haven’t figured out how to attach pics from my iPhone to the forum. I have a lot of pics of this mod.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Last year I posted my black 420 for sale in the for sale section. You can see how the glass sunroof/ sunshade looks done right.

·
Registered
1991 420SEL
113 Posts
I haven’t figured out how to attach pics from my iPhone to the forum. I have a lot of pics of this mod.
I don't know how to do that, but if you have a Google account, download the Google Drive app, and transfer your photos there from your phone, then you can access and download the photos to your computer from Google Drive to post here. This is assuming you don't want to use Apple Photos.

·
Registered
81' 300SD
100 Posts
The seal attaches to a metal trim piece that is pop riveted it in.
You could cut and bend bend up some light alloy to make your own trim pieces and screw them in with some small s/steel screws after drilling some small pilot holes and rust proofing them first
It would be wise to use windscreen sealant (non acidic) to avoid moisture between the seal & the painted lip (rust is a common problem around that roof panel edge & the seal)
KRH,
Thank you again for leading me in the right direction, I owe you! So I found a beautiful 420SEL in the yard today and ripped out the roof and capsule out through back window and got the sunroof seal brackets which doesnt exist in the Gen1 chassis. I will upgrade my Gen1 with these parts to make it W140 sunroof ready. I learned that the previous mention in this thread about the sunroof seal being "riveted" to the roof isn't exactly so. Rather, the bracket when riveted to the roof forms a slot wherein the roof seal is actually squeezed or slipped into this groove. So for those Gen2 guys, when doing the glass sunroof upgrade don't actually need to do any rivetting when installing their W140 sunroof seal. Just pull out the old and squeeze in the new. if its in fact any different at all, as I have yet to determine. As for mine I will have to do some riveting and might even rivet in the forward bracket as well since there is a slight height difference in the vertical portion where front bracket piece attaches. It is shorter and seems would attach better with rivets instead of the use of screws. Next I'll be looking for an SE sunroof cable and 140 seal. Picked up that cam type, tilting sunroof motor from that 420 as well today, just need to get the harness from that car and then do some wiring for the different type control unit which I will convert to and hopefully be done. Oh and need to find a glass sunroof too, can't forget. haha

Attachments

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,925 Posts
I use an iPhone too
First go all the way to the bottom of the website and click on button to view full site so you get the same version that looks like you're on a computer

Then When you are in the reply screen , scroll down to where the button says manage attachments . Click the button and a new window will open to upload the attachments from the photo library on your iPhone

·
Registered
560SEC 1987
1 Posts
Hello, just want to check - the difference between sedan and coupe sunroofs is the cassette itself or just the top panel (size)?
Basicly - is it possible to fit the W140 cassette into C126 and then just fit the C140 glass panel?
Original sunroof in my SEC is ruined and would like to change it whole. It’s almost impossible to get the full C140 cartridge. Plenty of W140’s though.

·
Registered
81' 300SD
100 Posts
I'm looking for bronze glass!

Does anyone here know which color of W140 has the bronze tint sunroofs? I'm coming across all these black tinted ones. but my W126 is beige and would really like to get the bronze instead of the black. Is there a particular part number unique to the bronze tinted roofs perhaps?
Thanks.
Louis

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Has anyone actually got both the glass sunroof and shade to fit properly ? All the glass w140 into w126 conversions I saw did not have the shade making it look amateur and unattractive
I did!

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Hello, just want to check - the difference between sedan and coupe sunroofs is the cassette itself or just the top panel (size)?
Basicly - is it possible to fit the W140 cassette into C126 and then just fit the C140 glass panel?
Original sunroof in my SEC is ruined and would like to change it whole. It’s almost impossible to get the full C140 cartridge. Plenty of W140’s though.
They are COMPLETELY different!

The SEL's are longer by a few inches and will NOT fit a coupe and vice versa. I've done many conversions and they are different.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Ok. It worked.
So I peeled the fabric from the original sunroof cover and sewed it together. You can see a very faint seam line just behind the vents. The shade and al the other bits come from the w140 sedan.
For coupes it’s the same, but of course you have to use the C140 sunroof and shade.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Hey... I know you....

·
Registered
81' 300SD
100 Posts
Looking for the Bronze or mirror tinted 140 glass panel.

Not sure if this had been discussed in the thread. Would anyone know which year/s or perhaps which color of 140 are equipped with the bronzish tinted glass panels? I'm finding only the black tinted panels regularly. My 126 is a lighter beige and believe that the bronze tinted or seemingly mirror tinted panel would be the best match. Thanks in advance guys!
Louis

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC 1994 E500 2014 E350 Cab
7,029 Posts
If I were you, et whatever you can get but have the inside covered with a UV blocker as the smoked glass still lets the heat in.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Alright guys...

First step is to remove your W126 panel from the car. My lift arms are broken, so I am not able to do it the conventional method of the 3/4 open way and unbolting it and the rails. I just unbolted the eight 8mm bolts from the panel, twisted a bit and voila, no more panel.

Second step is to unscrew the rails from the body of the car. Silver in color, and have 5 phillips head screws and 1 flat head screw in it. Do NOT touch the flat head, as it is a vertical adjustment for the leading edge of the roof in the closed position.

Third step is to remove the arms. Again, my arms were essentially shattered, as well as my drip rail, so I just had bits to remove. There is a bit of finagling to do to get it out conventionally, however, as there are tons of tracks and nubs that slide in said tracks.

4th step would be the debridement of the rails and area. I neglected to do so, as I don't have any of the sunroof paste, but my indy is letting me have some as a reward for this feat

5th would be to install the rear portion of the arm, which separates via a little white pin. This is easily the hardest step aside from acquisition of the cartridge, as you really need to angle it in perfectly with your hands, and not your eyes... I couldn't tell you if there's a trick or not, as I wasn't able to figure it out if there's an easier way.

Next, Install the front portion of the rail by aligning the aforementioned pin and the little felt nubs into their track at the same time, or it won't work.

Last thing is to connect the arms to the transfer bridge, and then bolt in the sunroof panel!

Any questions or specific pics, don't hesitate to ask!
Dear Solid Snake, writing you from May 6, 2020 in gratitude for your good photos and step by step help. Your photo of the glass roof side by side with metal roof makes me think that I might be able to simply replace the dented metal roof panel until I locate the glass and do the full project. Would you comment on your sentence that comes before : Voila! In your experience is it possible that the metal roof panel is accessible and removable with only 8 bolts?
With my dented roof panel I am still able to open the roof (manually, with wrench from truck; don't dare try the electrical movement); help me out of my ignorance: IF I WANT TO ACCESS, REMOVE AND REPLACE JUST THE METAL TOP ROOF PANEL, WHAT IS THE BASIC 1,2,3 A,B,C TO DO THAT?
MAINEMERCEDES

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,554 Posts
I’ve got a glass cartridge for a sedan and have decided to just get my metal one repainted too. So I too will be looking for the quick instructions. I’ve done the removal before but can’t remember for the life of me what the steps are. I believe the panel must be removed from the cable mount, and can’t remember if that can be done without removing the headliner or cartridge.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'll pass on any info I can uncover. I'm particularly interested in simply swapping the metal panel for immediate use while looking for a class full cartridge for the modification. Eager to see if the dented top panel can be replaced without taking out the full cartridge, though the more I read the less afraid of that process I am, thanks to Solid Snake's good attitude and step by step steps for Easy Engineers.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I’ve got a glass cartridge for a sedan and have decided to just get my metal one repainted too. So I too will be looking for the quick instructions. I’ve done the removal before but can’t remember for the life of me what the steps are. I believe the panel must be removed from the cable mount, and can’t remember if that can be done without removing the headliner or cartridge.
Yeah, that makes sense: The Cable Mount. Surely the cable that moves it must be figured out carefully. My job is made more complicated by the dented sunroof I'm replacing, but at least I have been able to retract it to expose the machinery. I guess my big ignorance is: once the cartridge is unfastened and the panel is still retracted into the roof is it still able to be cabled back out? That would indicate that the final step would be either pulling the panel back and then disattaching the cable? You've hit the nail on the head. What am I missing?

·
Registered
1991 560sec. 1991 560sel 1969 280SL
1,265 Posts
I believe the panel is bolted to the tracks much like a seat and the cable is attached to the track. So I don’t think you have to remove the cable connection.

261 - 280 of 311 Posts