Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 311 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560SEL, 1999 E55 AMG
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys...

First step is to remove your W126 panel from the car. My lift arms are broken, so I am not able to do it the conventional method of the 3/4 open way and unbolting it and the rails. I just unbolted the eight 8mm bolts from the panel, twisted a bit and voila, no more panel.

Second step is to unscrew the rails from the body of the car. Silver in color, and have 5 phillips head screws and 1 flat head screw in it. Do NOT touch the flat head, as it is a vertical adjustment for the leading edge of the roof in the closed position.

Third step is to remove the arms. Again, my arms were essentially shattered, as well as my drip rail, so I just had bits to remove. There is a bit of finagling to do to get it out conventionally, however, as there are tons of tracks and nubs that slide in said tracks.

4th step would be the debridement of the rails and area. I neglected to do so, as I don't have any of the sunroof paste, but my indy is letting me have some as a reward for this feat

5th would be to install the rear portion of the arm, which separates via a little white pin. This is easily the hardest step aside from acquisition of the cartridge, as you really need to angle it in perfectly with your hands, and not your eyes... I couldn't tell you if there's a trick or not, as I wasn't able to figure it out if there's an easier way.

Next, Install the front portion of the rail by aligning the aforementioned pin and the little felt nubs into their track at the same time, or it won't work.

Last thing is to connect the arms to the transfer bridge, and then bolt in the sunroof panel!

Any questions or specific pics, don't hesitate to ask!

Attachments

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts
This is going to be an excellent thread if you get to do the conversion. I, too, thought about how would it be possible to install a glass sunroof. Nice to know about the W140 being the same dimension:thumbsup:

Only thing is... what will you do about the headliner portion of the sunroof?

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
Way to tackle the upgrade head on! I also want to do the upgrade but having a gen I SEC I believe I will need to replace the entire sunroof cartridge with a gen II cartridge as well as the headliner, then put the w140 glass in it.

What a great upgrade you have there.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Very cool. I wonder, is it possible for me to do the same, being as I have the gen 1 sliding roof as opposed to tilt/slide?

·
Registered
2003 Volvo V70 5 Speed
1,784 Posts
I wonder, is it possible for me to do the same, being as I have the gen 1 sliding roof as opposed to tilt/slide?
I was going to ask the same thing

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
W140 slider fits right in! They utilize a very similar, nearly identical rail system. I have the liner, but having gone without a sunroof in the car for 3 years, I haven't put it in yet. The steel W140 liner is the same as the W126 one!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Way to tackle the upgrade head on! I also want to do the upgrade but having a gen I SEC I believe I will need to replace the entire sunroof cartridge with a gen II cartridge as well as the headliner, then put the w140 glass in it.

What a great upgrade you have there.
I jumped at the opportunity to test it for the community! I got a working cartridge nearly dirt cheap compared to what the dealer was charging, so it was fine. Best part is the W140 roof arms are all metal, so no more cracking to worry about with age :thumbsup:

Has anyone ever converted from a slider to a tilt just from a W126 before? I'll check out the difference in parts on the EPC... I don't see why you couldn't just trade rails and arms if the transfer bridge is the same...

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is going to be an excellent thread if you get to do the conversion. I, too, thought about how would it be possible to install a glass sunroof. Nice to know about the W140 being the same dimension:thumbsup:

Only thing is... what will you do about the headliner portion of the sunroof?
Doc, she's already in! Conversion was as easy as switching the arms out and bolting it on! W140 slider fits right in! They utilize a very similar, nearly identical rail system. I have the liner, but having gone without a sunroof in the car for 3 years, I haven't put it in yet. The steel W140 liner is the same as the W126 one! The slider is the same size, but obviously different in appearance. Easiest job I've ever done on the car, believe it or not.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,132 Posts
Sounds very cool indeed. So is it all done and operational?
A glass roof as big as that must be nice.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Only thing left to do is some experimentation with the rails. The clip for the rubber accordion things catch on the rail for whatever reason, so I'm removing the W140 rails and installing the W126 ones as they have a shorter edge. Update soon; probably after lunch. When you go without a sunroof for so long, you forget how frickin big ours are!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Too anxious so I swapped rails and the W126 rail solved clearance issues. Afraid of adjusting it but timed it and it runs flawlessly save for my sagging sunroof seal...

Included is a photo of the curtains installed via all of your sage teachings!

After having fixed and retrofitted an uncertain part into the sunroof, I don't see why people are afraid to work on em, or why they cost your soul to have repaired. $150 bucks, about 2 hours and a grape Fanta is all it cost to fix it! I should do it as a side job!

Attachments

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
That's cool! Wonder why no one else even thought of that. Would there be a way to close the opening from letting any light in at all?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's cool! Wonder why no one else even thought of that. Would there be a way to close the opening from letting any light in at all?
The W140 or any car I've ever driven with a glass sunroof (E38, W210) have a sliding panel that allows you to choose how much light you want in. It opens with the sunroof, and is vented so you can tilt the roof and get air flow. I'll take a pic, as I haven't installed mine due to it's poor condition...

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, if my sunroof ever breaks, I know what I'm replacing it with! And, where to get the job done! :p
Fly me out and we'll make a day out of it :p It's really, really not as bad as people make it sound. I don't know how people get away charging so much :mad: It was easier than the accumulators, AND you don't get sprayed with noxious hydraulic oil.

All I did in preparation was pray to the sunroof Gods, read their scriptures in the FSM and All Data Pro for the past 3 years, and jumped into it. :bowdown:

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts
The W140 or any car I've ever driven with a glass sunroof (E38, W210) have a sliding panel that allows you to choose how much light you want in. It opens with the sunroof, and is vented so you can tilt the roof and get air flow. I'll take a pic, as I haven't installed mine due to it's poor condition...

Thats exactly whats keeping me from pursuing this any further. Glass sunroof is excellent, but on a sunny day where the light is beaming directly at your face... you'd want a cover. Figured out if there is space or a way to add a sliding cover underneath?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thats exactly whats keeping me from pursuing this any further. Glass sunroof is excellent, but on a sunny day where the light is beaming directly at your face... you'd want a cover. Figured out if there is space or a way to add a sliding cover underneath?
I think you're misreading; the shade fits, mine just looks awful. It fits exactly in where the W126 one does!

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts
I think you're misreading; the shade fits, mine just looks awful. It fits exactly in where the W126 one does!
What I'm talking about is the slider... what covers and prevents sunlight into the cabin. How that portion is fitted... I don't see it in the pictures. So what you have is a glass sunroof all the time?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What I'm talking about is the slider... what covers and prevents sunlight into the cabin. How that portion is fitted... I don't see it in the pictures. So what you have is a glass sunroof all the time?
I think we have a terminology clash... the shade headliner, the cloth covering in our cars and felt in the W140 fit perfectly. Mine is all messed up so it was only test fitted... pic related. They fit and function exactly the same; no clearance issues as you have to know the W140 steel roof is identical to ours. I guess I'm not used to introducing new info...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 311 Posts