Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1987 300SDL
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured changing the oil would be a quick and simple job, how wrong I was. I guess the previous owner didn't have it changed it awhile or something, because try as I might I could NOT get the bolt to budge. I ended up stripping the head, so I finally got around to borrowing my neighbor's bolt removal set.

I couldn't get the bolt remover onto the bolt and stay, but I eventually wore away the head enough to allow me to go one size down with the removers for a much tighter fit. I then hammered the remover onto the bolt with the wrench (because if I turned it it would pop off since there was no big force pushing it onto the bolt). I realized I didn't have enough strength to push the wrench (or pull if I moved it to the other size) enough to break the bolt free, so I went into the shed and grabbed my jack. I put the jack underneath the wrench, and with a helper raised it while repositioning the jack to make sure it kept pushing the wrench. By doing this, I used the weight of the car against the bolt and it was easily freed.

I was helping a friend change his oil, and when we couldn't get the plug off, we put a crowbar between the wrench and oil pan and that popped it free. A crowbar wouldn't even work in my situation.

Now if only the parts store sold me the correct plug. One more trip :)

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
You would really think that an OIL pan bolt wouldn't seize, but apparently not!:D I'll surely put anti-seize on mine when I replace the pan- I never thought of it until now.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
I ALWAYS dip the threads of the oil bolt in oil before replacing. Anti seize works too but oil is right there in those little plastic bottles and.......
It has always worked for me.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
I figured changing the oil would be a quick and simple job, how wrong I was. I guess the previous owner didn't have it changed it awhile or something, because try as I might I could NOT get the bolt to budge. I ended up stripping the head, so I finally got around to borrowing my neighbor's bolt removal set.

I couldn't get the bolt remover onto the bolt and stay, but I eventually wore away the head enough to allow me to go one size down with the removers for a much tighter fit. I then hammered the remover onto the bolt with the wrench (because if I turned it it would pop off since there was no big force pushing it onto the bolt). I realized I didn't have enough strength to push the wrench (or pull if I moved it to the other size) enough to break the bolt free, so I went into the shed and grabbed my jack. I put the jack underneath the wrench, and with a helper raised it while repositioning the jack to make sure it kept pushing the wrench. By doing this, I used the weight of the car against the bolt and it was easily freed.

I was helping a friend change his oil, and when we couldn't get the plug off, we put a crowbar between the wrench and oil pan and that popped it free. A crowbar wouldn't even work in my situation.

Now if only the parts store sold me the correct plug. One more trip :)
That is a new one to me.
You are suppose to have a washer.
Was there a washer?
May be it was never there and that is why.
He was not supposed to tight it like horse, there is no pressure, after all.
There is no need to oil it there is always oil on it. ;)
Regards.
aam.

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
I find a cold chisel is the easiest way, if you cant get it off with vice grips.

·
Registered
R129 SL 500 97, W124 E320 Coupé 96, W124 300E twin turbo 90, W126 300 SE 91, Ford Capri 2.8i 84
249 Posts
Weird. Note that the correct torque is a mere 25 Nm (18 ft-lb); compare that with wheel bolts at 110 Nm and with the hand-tightening of a spin-on filter at 20 Nm .

·
Premium Member
1988 560SEC, 1987 420SEL, 1986 500SE
1,905 Posts
Nice. I just replaced the oil pan on my car because I thought I had cracked it in a dip...only to find out that my imbecile mechanic had stripped (or just not bothered to tighten) the plug screw and the pan was dented but not broken. Since I already had the car on a hoist as well as a new gasket and (recycled, free) oilpan on hand, I went ahead and changed it but apparently, never assume anything when it comes to something so simple as the plug screw!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts