Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

201 - 205 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
1997 SL 500 w/Pano, 1999 CLK 320
595 Posts
I did it!
Without breaking anything!!

Yesterday, my friend...an experienced mechanic and former service manager...tried the "pull" method. It didn't work. But when I got home I reread the sticky and thought I'd give it another go. I did it in about a minute. In the end, I just pulled, there did not seem to be a specific indent on the rod.

If you don't play with your visors a lot, I think the effort yesterday loosened it up enough so it worked, also today is fairly warm and that might have helped to.

·
Registered
2002 E55
87 Posts
Old thread, bumping because I found helpful info here. I was one of the poor souls who went with the star clip removal method that I regretted once I realized it was impossible to replace the star clip and keep the sun visors in place without rattling over every bump.

I bought replacement clips on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/202478970542 10 bucks shipped from Latvia so it took a few weeks. These aren't 100% exact replacements for the originals, but I got them to work.

I had to use needle nose pliers to gently pry up the prongs because the center area was too narrow to admit the metal post. Once I did that, I used an 8 mm socket over the star clip and hammered it onto the post. It worked - now the clips are securely on the posts and reinstalled in the car. Gotta love that German engineering...

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '98 SL500
1,894 Posts
A little late to this party buy I also replaced both my Sun Visor trim caps and did a quick video to help anyone attempting this at home, fairly straight forward:

·
Registered
dark blue 1992 500 sl
14 Posts
buy the metal ones from amazon or WilTec - spraypaint to trim colour as are black powder coat
I think they fit all years of 129

1. remove 1 selftap screw
2. swing out visor
3. remove 2nd selftap screw this will free the whole visor
4. remove starlock washer (can be difficult to do)lever up arms until it is free I used a small socket
to flatten/reset the arms
5. remove old cap and fit new
6. refit in reverse

cheaper than merc part and will not break so once done never need to do again takes less than an hour

201 - 205 of 205 Posts