Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys: I have blown my dash speaker and would like to unplug it, can it be done by the lamen or do I have to take it in to my local autosound guy?

Thanks DG :bowdown:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Not sure about the E class, but in my CLK the grill covering the center channel just pops right out. Pry up one edge with a small screw driver and you'll see the clips holding it in. While you're in there, why not just replace the speaker?? Only a couple of screws and you're done. I'm actually upgrading my stereo and I want to replace the center with one of higher quality, but they are usually sold in pairs. If I get some, would you be interested in splitting the cost of the pair?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure about the E class, but in my CLK the grill covering the center channel just pops right out. Pry up one edge with a small screw driver and you'll see the clips holding it in. While you're in there, why not just replace the speaker?? Only a couple of screws and you're done. I'm actually upgrading my stereo and I want to replace the center with one of higher quality, but they are usually sold in pairs. If I get some, would you be interested in splitting the cost of the pair?
CW: I watched my local guy disconnect speaker so now I know how. If its the same speaker (center channel) as your car then count me in. I plan on purchasing a new system as soon as I can come up with the 2k, but in the meantime a quick replacement would be awesome. Keep me posted and I can pay you via pay-pal if you have an account. Thanks :bowdown:

You can also reach me at: [email protected] or 714-904-0903

Darren

·
Registered
117 Posts
Can you double check the size of your center? I'll check online also to make sure we have the same size center channel speaker. Mine is a 3", and I might be able to fit a 3 1/2". I usually get my stuff from Woofersetc.com. Check it out and tell me if there is anything special that catches your eye. I'm fairly open to brands, but I would rather keep it mid to upper level brands. I'm doing a stealth SQ install and just spent about $3000 myself.

I was looking at these:

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-7187-kx-87-rainbow-kx-87-installer-35-coaxial-speakers.aspx
http://www.woofersetc.com/p-6139-db351-polk-audio-35-2-way-speakers.aspx
http://www.woofersetc.com/p-6699-329cf-infinity-35-2-way-kappa-coaxial-speakers.aspx

Kind of leaning towards the Infinity right now.......

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you double check the size of your center? I'll check online also to make sure we have the same size center channel speaker. Mine is a 3", and I might be able to fit a 3 1/2". I usually get my stuff from Woofersetc.com. Check it out and tell me if there is anything special that catches your eye. I'm fairly open to brands, but I would rather keep it mid to upper level brands. I'm doing a stealth SQ install and just spent about $3000 myself.

I was looking at these:

WoofersEtc.com - KX 87 - Rainbow KX 87 Installer 3.5" Coaxial Speakers
WoofersEtc.com - DB351 - Polk Audio 3.5" 2-Way Speakers
WoofersEtc.com - 32.9cf - Infinity 3.5" 2-Way Kappa Coaxial Speakers

Kind of leaning towards the Infinity right now.......
CW: Brand does not matter to me, just need the right size. Unfortunately, I can not find the speaker that came out of my car to measure it. So, please research the center channel sizes between the different classes. I can't imagine that they would be different but you never know. Also, I have no problem with the 3.5" but it has has to be able to bolt up to existing holes and have the same stock connections. I want to avoid any extra work and cost so that i can save more for my new system which will be all JL Audio. Thanks again amigo! :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't think I'll be able to do anything before the holidays. I want to get the rest of my system installed and see what the current center channel sounds like with the new sound processor and amps. Also, an aftermarket speaker may be able to use the existing mounting holes, but I doubt it will fit the existing electrical connector. You'll need to cut that off and crimp on new connectors. Should take less than 5 minutes. Why have you decided to go with JL Audio? I don't mean to bash. They are good quality and I have looked at them in the past, but you'll be paying a lot just for the name. For the money you'll spend on JL, you can get some top of the line (but lesser known) equipment. I'm talking about the equipment that the guys winning sound competitions are using!! And don't think that "competition" means boomy and loud.... These are guys who strive for pure sound quality! I spent about 4 months doing the research before I bought my system, and I can say with confidence that when I am done with my install, my system will probably put out some of the highest quality music that I have ever heard. In fact, I've already been thinking about entering some of the competitions!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think I'll be able to do anything before the holidays. I want to get the rest of my system installed and see what the current center channel sounds like with the new sound processor and amps. Also, an aftermarket speaker may be able to use the existing mounting holes, but I doubt it will fit the existing electrical connector. You'll need to cut that off and crimp on new connectors. Should take less than 5 minutes. Why have you decided to go with JL Audio? I don't mean to bash. They are good quality and I have looked at them in the past, but you'll be paying a lot just for the name. For the money you'll spend on JL, you can get some top of the line (but lesser known) equipment. I'm talking about the equipment that the guys winning sound competitions are using!! And don't think that "competition" means boomy and loud.... These are guys who strive for pure sound quality! I spent about 4 months doing the research before I bought my system, and I can say with confidence that when I am done with my install, my system will probably put out some of the highest quality music that I have ever heard. In fact, I've already been thinking about entering some of the competitions!!
CW: No worries about the time frame, I can probably crimp on a new plug to accommodate the new speaker connection. I'm NOT sold on JL Audio, its just what my local speaker guy put on his quote for me. His quote beat another by almost 2k and he was using AUD speakers. Once your system is up and running I would love the feedback and cost comparison. I'm not in any RUSH for a new system as I have other monies tied up with other engine mods and other things. Let me know what you decide on and give me a shout! Late

1 - 8 of 8 Posts