Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
Depends on if you have a 230 or the 320.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
benzsesco said:
I've got a 230. If anyone has a link to a guide or DIY site would be awesome.
You shouldn't need help to change out spark plugs on a 230. They are under the red cover on the top of the engine. Pull the cover and see what's under there, pull one plug at a time so you don't mix wire. (Shouldn't happen anyway) There are two plus per set, and if I remember you have to unscrew a coil for each pair, not a big deal, just go for it, it's easy.
You will need s short section of tubeing and a section of dowel rod to help put the plugs in place, they are very deep in the cylnder head. The dowel slips into the tubeing and the tubing slips onto the top of the plug, this gives an extension to the length of the plug and makes it easier to put the plug into the hole.
There are some very helpful hints on other things at this site, but nothing on plugs: How to, on the SLK

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230K
293 Posts
Somewhere on here there is a link to a German PDF describing the 230 spark plug procedure. Very easy as said above. I just used one of the spark plug sockets with the rubber insert to hold the plug in it. With an extension on the socket it was very easy to get the old ones out and the new ones in. One of the easiest plug changes I've done.

Avery

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
Benzseco - put your year/model in your avatar

If it's pre 2000, FR8KTC Bosch 3 pin non adjustables (don't know if it changed after face lift)

Tighten to 25Nm - When I first pulled mine, they were very tight and dry and I was worried that I might damage the threads - soaked with CRC for a few minutes and unscrewed carefully (screwed out 1/2 turn and in 1/4 turn until free)
Then ran a plug with 2 cuts across the thread to clean the plug threads

Oberoi

·
Registered
01 SLK200k
16 Posts
Thanks - v interesting. German sense of humour, eh!

I have '01 SLK200K; individual coil-per-plug, allen cap-screws for engine cover, looks like torx30 x 2 per coil. looks easy, as long as one has torx socket.

regards

1 - 10 of 10 Posts