Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Mercedes-Benz GLK 350
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that there is no DIY for the w203 so I figured I would take the time to do so. It is pretty simple and straight forward. These are pictures from my 2002 C230K Sport Coupe.

1) Remove all three hex bolts from the top of the motor.
2) Remove both star bolts and clip from the cap.
3) Remove cap and then remove spark plug.
4) Insert new spark plug and be sure not to overtighten.
5) Reverse process

A couple of suggestions would include doing one plug at a time, and making sure that you don't cross-thread any of them. To avoid cross-threading place spark plug in hole; with socket slowly turn counter-clockwise(as if you were loosening it) until you feel a click; then turn clockwise until tightened. Note that the "click" I am speaking about indicates that the beginning of both threads have just met. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great DIY Just used this to change mine. I would like to add that the OEM spark plugs are NGK (5344) IFR6D10 Iridium Spark Plug for 2002 C230

Only difference is that the OEM ones have the Mercedes logo. So buy them online and save money.

Also to remove the star bolts and gain access to the Spark Plug you need a an E8 socket. I couldn't find any so I just used a small enough hex socket that fit around it and it worked like a charm.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 C230
14 Posts
An old-school mechanic's method of starting spark plugs in their holes (and preventing cross-threading) is to use a length of fuel line. Stick the top end of the spark plug into the fuel line, then use the line as the 'wrench' to start the plug. The fuel line holds the plug securely and has enough resistance to get the plug started in the hole without cross stripping. If the plug stops turning, it will just pivot in the hole. This generally is not an issue with this method. I've used this for all of my vehicles, including some motorcycles and cars with the plugs buried 8 inches or more inside the heads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts