Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a DIY to replace the side view black rubber mirror seals, but this only applies to the 2nd generation mirrors with black rubber seal between the mirror, and the body of the car.

Just so everyone knows. The mirror seals are available from the dealer to the tune of about $700.00 USD EACH. Yea, a little cheap !!! It includes the whole mirror mechanism for free! Meaning one has to buy the whole mirror mechanism to get the side mirror seal. The seal are not sold separately. If the seal lasted like a fender, I’d justify the purchase, but it is made from rubber that deteriorates over time.

In the case of my S320, the seal has just cracked-up like saltine cracker. Consequently, it just looked awful. It was an eye sore, but $1400 is just not an answer, so I’ve strived for a real solution. I went to the junk yard to tinker with mirrors form other Mercedes vehicles, and I found that late 90’s C-Class cars have the same external mirror seal features, yet internally how the wires channeled inside is completely different from the W140 and W202.

A company in the Orient makes a new seal, yet I wanted a solution now, and did not want to wait to order a part, so for every S-Class in the junk yard five or six C-Class models are in the junk yard, so plenty of cars to choose from, and I happen to find two C-Class cars with the mirror seals in excellent shape. The seals are very easy to remove from the C-Class. The side mirrors spring forward and backwards.
To process remove the seals from the C-Class:

A – Bend the mirror backwards
B – Remove the bottom Philips screw
C – Remove the remaining screws, yet move the mirror forward to access the screws
D- Cut the wires from the base
E-Pull the seal from the mirror

I found the C-Class seals from the junk yard at several dollars each.. Much better than $700

The process to transplant the C-Class mirror seal to the S-Class mirror takes a handful of hours per mirror, but the process may make some of you cringe. I cannot be responsible if you goof-up your mirrors. I have detailed the process with fifty-photos to show every little step. I performed the seal swap on a 1996 S320 and 1998 S500. The mirrors are mechanically the same, but electrically the mirrors are different. The S500 has two extra wires, and the connector in the mirror is different, but the connector on the outside of the mirror is the same on both models.

I have about ten posts to post, so please wait for your comments and questions.

Thank you,

Martin

PS. Here is how the mirror assembly is removed from the car-See the first post of the link below:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1406221-diy-smoke-mirrors-revisited.html

Attachments

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Last picture...

If the process is too difficult for you to handle, and you’re interested in fixing the eye sore. I will repair both mirrors for $140.00 including shipping back to you in the USA. Just provide me the seal. If your mirrors pop a fuse when you fold them from the center counsel, the wiring inside the mirror is bad. I will repair that too for an additional $40.00 for both mirrors. Just PM me if you want me to repair your mirrors.

Martin

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 S500; W140.051
698 Posts
Mava,

Great DIY. Will any W202 front door mirror seals work for this mod to use on late W140? I see Ebay vendor selling new pair replacement seals for W202, listing P/N's A202-811-0598, A202-811-0698. It looks like the only P/N that I can more of less read on your pics is slightly different in the leading digits of the last four digits; probably something like elec conn variants or something. EPC is no help as these seals are not sold as individual parts, but conveniently packaged with mirror included as an assy.

I have sent message to ask Ebay seller about external form & 3X screw hole mount with late W140, but I may not get a constructive answer from that.

I figured to give you a try as you have direct experience.

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
4,966 Posts
Was able to unplug it last night.
Now the new mirror glass is from the W210 and has the plug for heated mirror only.
I want to retrofit the heating option to the mirror, does anyone know which numbers in the mirror harness I should connect to the mirror?
Thanks,

Attachments

·
7,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On the S320's you are missing two or three wires in the mirror. You would have to see if your harness (coming from the door) is populated with the wires like in photo 26... These pictures were done from a 98 S500 if you are missing the wires from the door it will not work if the wires are there. You will just need the mirror harness from a 500/600 car, or the whole mirror, but when I did my S320 after this write-up it was missing the heater wires...

Martin

1 - 19 of 19 Posts