Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '85 300D. It's my first diesel and my first MB. I'm very excited. I had it checked out by an independant MB shop. They gave it the "thumbs up", but it still needs some work.

Here is my question:
I'm hoping to replace the front brake pads and rotors on my own. I'm looking for general advice before I dive into this project. I couldn't find any threads on this forum that gave good detail advice on this topic.

Looking for:
* Advice on where to buy parts (online or otherwise).
* Could someone rate the difficulty of this job? I'm a novice. I've done brake pads before on another car, but never rotors.
* What problems have you run into before when replacing front pads and rotors?
* Is there a thread on this forum that explains everthing that I'm asking here...and I'm just missing it?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
Brake pads are fairly easy on these cars, but a bit more difficult than most because of the retaining springs. Make sure you get a new hardware kit along with the pads. Pads and rotors can be purchased online or at pretty much any local parts house, ie; autozone, bumper to bumper, checker, etc. When you remove the rotors you will need to clean, inspect, and replace or repack the front wheel bearings, and you should replace the bearing grease seals, so you will need some solvent and a coffee can with a brush. If the bearings do need to be replaced, you can also get those at the parts house, they aren't too expensive, but the hub that bolts to the rotor will have to be taken to an automotive machine shop to have the bearing races replaced (supplied with new bearings). Before you install the new rotors, spray them down very good front and back with brake cleaner to remove the protective rust inhibitor that is on the rotors. If you don't do this you will overheat your brake pads before they even wear into the new rotors which could result in rotor warpage and cracking of the brake pads, not to mention a possible accident as braking capacity is reduced by more than 50% while overheated.
If you don't already have a Haynes repair manual you should invest in one and read up on the wheel bearing and brake pad sections before you tackle this job. Don't get too discouraged, it isn't a very difficult job but it will take you a long time. I am a 15 year experienced mechanic and it took me eight hours to do my pads, rotors, one caliper, and replace my wheel bearings. I did have a shop to do my bearing races myself though, so that is included in the time it took me.

·
Registered
1981 200 (W123)
163 Posts
when my rotors/discs are gone i will do my best to get hold of W126 discs and calipers. they are bolt-on replacements, but with vented discs, and obviously slightly wider calipers with the same pads.

pad change is simple enough. you do not need to remove any bolts. all you have to do is to tap out the two retaining pins with a nail or something, get the retaining clip out, move back the pistons and get the old pads out. make sure you fully move back both pistons so that the new (thick) pads will go right in. clean the caliper well. if you see traces of oil in the caliper you will need to replace the seals. I had to do this on both calipers a few months ago. but hopefully yours will be ok ;)

BTW I use Mintex pads and i find them excellent! no brake fade whatsoever, even after a lot of abuse; you can get them stinking and smoking and they will brake even better! [8D]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts