Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was getting the message "Brake light, left Back-up light on!" and "Brake light, right Back-up light on!". For my 04 e500, the part numbers for the replacement socket plates were: 2118200177 (left) and 2118200277 (right). Check EPC to look up the correct part as this part can be different for different packages (appearance, etc) and cars (wagons vs sedan). Parts.com is the cheapest source for this ($34 each). My local dealer wanted $80 each.

1. Remove the plastic lip/cover that runs along the length of the trunk opening by popping up the 6 plastic fasteners. Just use a slim screwdriver and gently pry upwards. There is one tab on each side near the interior lights of this plastic cover -- gently pull outwards to disconnect. Detach the cables that connect to the interior lights.

2. Use a t20 to remove the two cargo tie hooks on the side trunk liner. Use a screwdriver to pop out the two fasteners near the top of the side trunk liner. Look at how the liner wraps around the trunk lid arms -- there is a cut where it splits apart. Pull outwards and bend downwards to get it out of the way. You don't need to completely remove this liner -- you only need to give yourself enough space to access the nuts that hold the tail light assembly in place.

2a. If you have to do the left side and you have an airmatic, there is a large metal canister that prevents you from remove a couple of the nuts. Unbolt the entire bracket and slide it out of the way by removing the 4 bolts that hold it in place (2 on top, 2 on bottom). Note that there is a small pipe that connects to the top of the canister -- be sure not to screw with this.

3. Use a 8mm socket and remove the 5 nuts that hold the tail light assembly in place. Disconnect the cable. Push out the tail light assembly.

4. Remove the black foam surround.

5. Remove the 3 t20 screws that hold the socket plate in place. Replace with new.

6. Install in reverse.

Another note, I had read somewhere that the socket plates are wired in a series, with the drivers (left) side first -- which means that if you're seeing error messages for both sides like I was, then you may want to try fixing the drivers side first as it is very uncommon for these lights to burn out, let alone at the same time. I replaced my drivers side first and checked my error messages and all messages went away (including the ones for the passenger side).

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is there a way to "renew" the light board?

Hi,

Most of the light bulbs seem ordinary and seems to be placed in a socket. Is it possible to simple replace the dead light bulbs with new one (maybe even led replacement)?

Locally (Israel) the cost is around $90 per side and I can't order from Parts.com as they don't export..

Moshe

·
Registered
942 Posts
They are soldered in place and does not look like fully 'conventional' bulbs (you can always take functioning one from used plate assembly), I did not try to soldering iron so I don't know how much heat is required to replace bulbs.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I thought those bulbs are Xenon gas filled and supposedly non serviceable. Original literature from the W211 launch said they are "lifetime" bulbs. Strange how they didn't do the same with the front city and turn signal lamps? I'm sure they had a good reason..

·
Purple Moderator
21,709 Posts
Hi,

Most of the light bulbs seem ordinary and seems to be placed in a socket. Is it possible to simple replace the dead light bulbs with new one (maybe even led replacement)?

Locally (Israel) the cost is around $90 per side and I can't order from Parts.com as they don't export..

Moshe
You can get them from a dealer in Atlanta, Georgia that exports.
Mercedes-Benz Parts - Shop Genuine Mercedes Parts Online at Mercedes-Benz of South Atlanta at a good price. You will save some shekels getting them that way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No free meals :)

Shipping is $40 - so total is $95.. no saving..

Will continue to research and report if anything interesting found..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts