Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1991 190E 2.6 Auto, Artic White/grey MB-Tex
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I built a tool to replace the rear lower "supporting joint" on my 190E. The joint is basically a ball joint, but with a stud going completely through it instead of just one side, and there is a hole through the stud for the bolt to go through, if that makes any sense. I got mine for $20/each at Autohausaz.com. Part of the tool I made is comprised of a couple pieces from the ball joint press "rented" from Autozone. The rest was bought for a just a few dallars at Fastenal (hardened 5 1/2" or 6" long, 3/8" bolt/washers/nut) and Home Depot (metal fence rail coupler,1 3/8"?). You're basically pulling the old joint out and pulling the new one in. The fence rail coupler is about 6" long, but you need to cut it down to about 3/4" long. It is the perfect diameter for pushing the joint through the "eye" The metal it's made from isn't very hard so if your joints are corroded in place, you may need to find a harder pipe. I went through several 3/4" pieces of the fence pipe because one of the new joints just didn't want to be pressed it the last 1/2". I wound up using the outer collar portion of one of the old joints to press in that stubborn joint the last 1/2". I bought a whole bag of washers because you use them to make the bolt shorter or longer by stacking the washers. Make sense?

This is what the old "joint" looked like. I didn't take an "after" shot of the new one. I was tired and hot!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts