Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
MY05 CLK55 AMG , MY05 CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
1,567 Posts
I wiped the outside of the engine with rags and then rags with turps or mineral turpentine,no residue type.
Inside of the covers spray with brake cleaner,wash with soap and water and dry thoroughly,then spray with brake cleaner again.
The breather cover channels have to be really clean,I used a clean rag soaked with turps,and pushed it into the channels using a paddle pop stick. You must remove all traces of old sealant and oil.
When the job is completely finished and all put back together, wipe the surfaces of the covers with an oily rag,this will reduce future corrosion.

·
Registered
MY05 CLK55 AMG , MY05 CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
1,567 Posts
Having just replaced valve cover gaskets ,re sealed breather covers and replaced spark plugs on my CLK55 I have some further thoughts.
My observation was that the original valve cover gaskets had degraded mostly along the lower edge , where they contact the magnesium valve cover , and this is where they leak oil.
I think the reason for this may be the considerable extra heat that the lower edge of the valve cover absorbs due to the close proximity of the exhaust manifold.
This extra heat persists for quite a while after the engine has been shut down.
As a result , I decided to use the additional gasket sealant along this lower edge and up to the half moons , but only in a few spots along the top/upper edge , to save time and because I don't think it is really needed along the top.
I also use a two stage method .
1. Reseal and replace breather cover one day. The 16mm M5 SS bolts are only needed to hold the cover down while the sealant hardens.
2. Next day re fit the valve cover to the engine with the new gasket.
I think this is how MB would have assembled the engines , ie , with breather covers already attached to valve covers , having been done many days earlier.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
239 Posts
Hi!
Guys how you used torq wrench .. did you use socket extension swivel ?
Two years ago I replaced Valve covers and its seeping oil and drips on the manifolds causing bad smells in cabin sometime....
Its start a seeping after few months a little ..
Maybe a tighten too tight ... I remember it was hard to me to find good angle for torq wrench.. due engine design... it's hard to keep straight a wrench ...
How you guys did ? What tools did you used..?
Maybe I will do I again...

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Tightening too tight should not cause leaks,,,but it can strip threads..torque is 8 Nm ,,,not more.
Did you use genuine MB gaskets ?
I don't think I used a swivel ,,just adaptors and extensions to allow me to use my Bike Torque wrench 1/4 inch drive , ,,,it goes from 2 to 24 Nm.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
239 Posts
Yes I use MB gaskets and torq specs is 9Nm according to WIS !
Mmm maybe it affected how to tighten was the valve cover ... like I start tightening bolts from the center like this
9 5 1 3 7
10 6 2 4 8
Etc.
And I I tighten in few stages .. 2 5 7 and 9 Nm... I haven't set my torq wrench at 9Nm in the beginning.

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,915 Posts
Yes I use MB gaskets and torq specs is 9Nm according to WIS !
Mmm maybe it affected how to tighten was the valve cover ... like I start tightening bolts from the center like this
9 5 1 3 7
10 6 2 4 8
Etc.
And I I tighten in few stages .. 2 5 7 and 9 Nm... I haven't set my torq wrench at 9Nm in the beginning.
These valve covers have crush stops at the corners, so a retorque is unlikely to result in stopping a new leak. You can try a light finger torque with a box wrench at the offending location, but risk wringing a head off of the bolt. Sorry to say that the leak was probably due to miss-assembly, such as using RTV sealant on the gasket.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
239 Posts
These valve covers have crush stops at the corners, so a retorque is unlikely to result in stopping a new leak. You can try a light finger torque with a box wrench at the offending location, but risk wringing a head off of the bolt. Sorry to say that the leak was probably due to miss-assembly, such as using RTV sealant on the gasket.
Thank you! ! But WIS does not saying to use a RTV .. it's not needed.
Yes and I am scary to tighten more ...I can strip the thread
:confused:
I dont know how strong is treads ! It's not a metal ... plus I stripped 2years ago a transmission pan bolt ...Ohhh oh. so after that I am paranoic ..lol

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,915 Posts
Be sure to use Mercedes gasket material. Other brands (aka Victor Rienze) wont last as long.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Thank you! ! But WIS does not saying to use a RTV .. it's not needed.
Yes and I am scary to tighten more ...I can strip the thread
:confused:
I dont know how strong is treads ! It's not a metal ... plus I stripped 2years ago a transmission pan bolt ...Ohhh oh. so after that I am paranoic ..lol
Just noticed your signature line - it is much better than mine.

Here is my DIY on this topic. https://www.benzworld.org/threads/valve-cover-gasket-and-breather-cover-sealant-diy.1927017/#post-7941153v

God bless

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
239 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I recommend you read this entire thread as well as atmsmshr's excellent work ,,, then fit a new set of genuine MB gaskets..and you should be fine.

·
Registered
Green '02 E320 Wagon
558 Posts
Let me give a huge thanks to YachtMaster and atmsmshr for their valve cover instructions. I used them two years ago and the job went very well. It was the most difficult automotive repair I've ever done. I refused to pay a dealership the price they wanted for the job, so I'm very thankful that you two professionals shared the helpful procedure (and many others).

The only problem was that AutohausAZ sold me sealer which was expired and I didn't realize it until one valve cover was entirely taken off. The sealer was extremely difficult to squeeze from the tube, but it eventually came out and seemed to make a good seal. I bought new sealer from my local dealership for the other side and it was much easier to work with. I sure hope the expired sealer doesn't fail sooner than it should.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
239 Posts
Thank you guys ! Yes, I always using MB parts... and my gaskets are MB .
I appreciate for advice 😀(y)

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
239 Posts
You can try keep sealer rtv in a warm water before opening .. Not Hot !
It will help you to squeeze easier a bit....

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
239 Posts
Guys .. how did you tight the Valve covers
Criss-Cross or in a row ?
WIS doesnt say how to tight the Valve covers !

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
It doesn't matter much , but criss cross working from the middle outwards is best ...I set torque to about 5 Nm at first ,,,
Then final at 8 Nm,,,

101 - 117 of 117 Posts