Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes C240 Avantgarde SE Auto Saloon
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I'm looking to change the oil on my 2003 C240 myself. I understand that I can use an oil extractor to get the old stuff out.
Can anyone tell me where I need to connect the extractor to in order to remove the old oil?
Also, how much new oil will I need?
And does my car still have a sump plug to remove the oil the old fashion way?
I'm in the UK so we work with Litres.
Any help would be good.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Hi

As your engine (M112) is the same as my CLK 240, why not read through this thread for ideas? There are lots of opinions on suck v drain.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-clk-class/1333531-successful-diy-oil-change.html

Also gregs210 has a good diy oil change on the 210 forum in the ''sticky' section.

If you use an extractor, (I don't) I've read that he best procedure is to put the tubing over the dip stick tube, and not inside it. The tube is located up near the firewall and should have a red plastic cap.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Hi

As your engine (M112) is the same as my CLK 240, why not read through this thread for ideas? There are lots of opinions on suck v drain.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-clk-class/1333531-successful-diy-oil-change.html

Also gregs210 has a good diy oil change on the 210 forum in the ''sticky' section.

If you use an extractor, (I don't) I've read that he best procedure is to put the tubing over the dip stick tube, and not inside it. The tube is located up near the firewall and should have a red plastic cap.
Whoa...the one by the firewall with the cap is the TRANSMISSION, you definitely don't want to extract that. You actually use the engine oil dipstick tube nearer the front of the engine if you are using an oil extractor.

The M112 holds 8L of Mobil1 0W40, although in Europe you can probably find lots of other oils that meet MB Specifications.

·
Registered
Mercedes C240 Avantgarde SE Auto Saloon
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks greg210.
I was very dubious about the tube by the firewall behind the engine. Mine has a black cap on it. I'll have another look for the one at the front but I couldn't see it. Not used an extractor before but was thinking of getting one. Are there any horrors I need to think about? And without a dipstick, what's the best way to check the oil level as I fill up?

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Whoa...the one by the firewall with the cap is the TRANSMISSION, you definitely don't want to extract that. You actually use the engine oil dipstick tube nearer the front of the engine if you are using an oil extractor.
My apoligies if I mislead you there. The engine oil dipstick tube is where I stated on my CLK, and is always visible. (see the photo on #3 of my thread above)

The ATF dipstick tube is not revealed on my CLK until I pull off the plastic engine cover. The layout on your C240 must be slightly different...

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Thanks greg210.
And without a dipstick, what's the best way to check the oil level as I fill up?
Well, that bothered me before I did my first oilchange. So much so, that I pestered my local MB dealership to sell me a workshop tool they call a 'measuring stick' which is a graduated dipstick that suits several models. They also gave me a conversion chart for my engine, so I know the correct level. The dipstick is too long to fit inside the tube, so it hangs on my garage wall.

However, while doing the first oilchange, i discovered that almost all the 8 liters of oil was required to get the level correct, so the next time I changed the oil I just put the whole 8.0 liter inside without checking as I went along. I can then (not sure about your model) use the cluster to display the absolute oil level in my sump, (down to 0.1 liter) after a short run to get it up to temperature.

·
Registered
2000 w203 c200k (Yes, it's a w203 from Germany)
1,052 Posts

The M112 holds 8L of Mobil1 0W40, although in Europe you can probably find lots of other oils that meet MB Specifications.
Mobil 1 is about €75-80 or more for 5 liters. One can buy the factory fill Aral synthetic for less.

Liqui-Moly has a huge line of stuff that will fit the bill. Toptec 4100 will run under €40 for 5 liters and is one of the versions that is highly recommended for this application. So far, no difficulties, and the original oil consumption I experienced with dealer changed oil no longer exists.

I bought 5 jugs last year during a local DIY store's (Praktiker) 20% off sale. Came out to about 5€/liter.

Castrol is very expensive here. They have a big line of Synthetics (not syntech lines) for many different applications. Don't know the situation in the UK, however. I'm sure Castrol is their big brand. What else and what are oil prices like?

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Have a part number and a scan of that chart?
Sure. Here it is. Part number is MW 120 589 07 21/00

However, after splashing out for this expensive piece of kit, I read somewhere that you can get the same result for about 10 cents using a length of flexible curtain wire from your hardware store - the miniature coiled wire type. Just fit a smooth cap over the bottom end, and mark the wire at 170 mm from the bottom end with some nail varnish. I can see no reason why that will not work.

Attachments

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Curious. The EPC for the C240-W203 shows a conventional oil dipstick at the front of the engine on the left as you look at it from the front.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the dipstick tool for the oil since the level sensor is quite accurate. If you're sure you got all of it out, add 8L and check it. However, since it is your first DIY change, perhaps you only add 7 and then check the level, then add as necessary. Be sure to then start and let idle for a minute or two, then shut it down and recheck. In the future you'll know what you need to add.

Dipsticks aside, the best tip I still have is to add the oil down the filter hole before you reinstall the filter assembly.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Personally I wouldn't worry about the dipstick tool for the oil since the level sensor is quite accurate.
gregs - Have you forgotten what a pita it is to use the cluster display for displaying the oil level when adding oil? There is a 10 minute delay after each engine switch-off before the system will allow a new reading! You could be looking at 3 or 4 of those delays to complete the job, ensuring that you don't overfill.

I'm sure that in the MB shops, the techs measure out the correct quantity for that engine into a jug and pour it all in. Then they do just one measurement for confirmation.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
gregs - Have you forgotten what a pita it is to use the cluster display for displaying the oil level when adding oil? There is a 10 minute delay after each engine switch-off before the system will allow a new reading! You could be looking at 3 or 4 of those delays to complete the job, ensuring that you don't overfill.

I'm sure that in the MB shops, the techs measure out the correct quantity for that engine into a jug and pour it all in. Then they do just one measurement for confirmation.
Thankfully it's not that slow on the setup in the 210. ;) I only suggested he do that the first time around so he knows how much oil to add based on his extraction. I have no problem if someone wants to add a tool to their collection, though.

I have the standard dipstick and the electronic sensor in my M112, but truth to tell I never check my oil after a change. I drain it out, replace the plug with a new gasket, pour 8.5 USQ down the hole, and reinstall the filter assembly, start it up and let it run while I slide under and replace the inspection pan. Slide out, double-check for leaks at the filter assembly and timing cover plate (common issue on the 112 and 113) and I'm though, although if I think of it I check it at the next fill-up or so when I'm resetting the trip-odometer.

·
Registered
C240, C200, 560sl, 2003 S500. 1952 Bentlley Mark 6.
10 Posts
Make a DIY oil extracter

DIY. Make a simple OIL VACUUM EXTRACTER ($9 or less) for oil changes via extraction thru the dipstick.
Items needed can be purchased from Home Depot.
A) 5 gallon paint bucket ( $4) as a vacuum tank. An old used bucket is OK if you don’t mind paint chips.
B) A plain lid for the paint bucket ($1.25).
C) A 6ft length of 3/8 OD clear plastic tubing ($2). Anything larger will not slip down the dip tube.
D) Container for used oil. ( 5 quart containers are best for storing or ease of transporting to the local parts store). 1 gallon paint cans will do. These will not crumple within the 5 gal “vacuum chamber”
E) A ¾ MNPT x ¾ FPVC fitting and a ¾ FNPT fitting ($1.50),
and finally a shop or floor vac with a 1-1/4 hose connection.
Drill 1-1/8 hole w/flat blade wood bit in the lid, then sandwich the PVC fittings to the lid.
Insert the tubing thru a 3/8 hole drilled in bucket lid. Let it dangle into the 5 quart container that is placed inside the 5 gallon bucket. Slope cut the other tube end to avoid blockage and insert it into the dip tube. Slip the vacuum hose onto the PVC fitting in the lid. The lid will snap down onto the bucket when vacuum is turned on.
Start the vacuum, watch the oil flow
Notes! My C240’s filter can be changed from the engine compartment. For further cleanliness. I also added a ½ inch OD washer type super magnet wrapping it to the filter exterior with thin metal wire.
Purchased 12 magnets for $8 on Ebay. Added one also to the drain plug heads (Oil and transmission) for additional protection from metal particles.
5 gallon paint buckets can withstand the typical vacuum without crumpling.
All oil is kept within containers, even if you carelessly overfill the 5qt container within the bucket.
Avoid spillage. A bathroom scale under the bucket gives a useful indication of AMOUNT of oil extracted and, how much to add.
Retain the new, now empty, 5gal container for the next oil change.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts