Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
This is a great post, but no one ever said how you reinstall the guide pins, and whether they get sealant or anything? Also I am not going to replace my chain and I am on the fence about the tensioner, how can I test it?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Going through this project right now. I have replaced the guides and I am trying to get all 4 cams to stay at the same time. I pin them then I put the passenger side exhaust sprocket back on then tighten the tensioner and they come out of time everytime. (2 times) the last time the driver side ended up at 38 and the passenger side at 33. I think that maybe I am not keeping the right tension on the crank when I start on the driver side exhaust. Its hard to do because you want to hold the chain up but cam rotation is clockwise. need some pointers please.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Going through this project right now. I have replaced the guides and I am trying to get all 4 cams to stay at the same time. I pin them then I put the passenger side exhaust sprocket back on then tighten the tensioner and they come out of time everytime. (2 times) the last time the driver side ended up at 38 and the passenger side at 33. I think that maybe I am not keeping the right tension on the crank when I start on the driver side exhaust. Its hard to do because you want to hold the chain up but cam rotation is clockwise. need some pointers please.
You have the crank set at 45° BTDC, and all 4 cams are pinned, then you install the sprocket & tensioner... and after rotating the engine twice, the cams show 38 an 33?

If so, it's possible you either have severe chain stretch (~12° at passenger side), or a lower chain rail could be broken - assuming you didn't pull the timing cover to replace everything.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts