Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
2000 4Matic Estate E320S4 210.282
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

After some time of fixing the pixel issue on the instrument cluster (one year to be exact) and taking some pictures I was finally able to put together a write up I hope it will serve everyone well.

Please note the repair covers the side displays only, not the multifunction one, since it was not faulty.

Enjoy the repair and save yourself a few bucks.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Very good. The only worrying thing is that is seems as if a lot of the gold plating on the contact pins are off? That may be the reason for the bad contact.

·
Registered
w202 C280 gone s124 300TE gone r107 500SL s210 320cdi and 'junior', the w220 S320
22 Posts
great article

I have taken the liberty of posting the link to some fellow sufferers at the MBOA. I'm sure they will be grateful.

·
Registered
1985 300SD•2001 CLK 430•1988 560SL
55 Posts
Franasia: Are there Error Messages after re-connecting cluster?

I've been searching this subject and am concerned about this. Some have reported either Error messages after reconnecting the cluster and some others have reported losing the even more important center display.

I am so wanting to do this over the weekend. Just a little scared over what I've read.

ANYONE done it yet? Experiences appreciated.

Thanks all...I've also posted this on W208 board

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic
173 Posts
Never heard of anyone getting an error message. Why would they? All you are doing is pulling 2 connectors and playing with 2 ribbons. Pretty simple fix, if it is the ribbons.

On mine, the temp was fixed, but the gear select has pixel problems, so it is going to get shipped out for repair.

·
Registered
CL500, E430, SLK, Subaru...
648 Posts
Never heard of anyone getting an error message. Why would they? All you are doing is pulling 2 connectors and playing with 2 ribbons. Pretty simple fix, if it is the ribbons.

On mine, the temp was fixed, but the gear select has pixel problems, so it is going to get shipped out for repair.
I have duff displays in the E430: do I deduce that taking the cluster out won't fix the pixellation weirdness in the shift display? I fixed the Forester's clock (which is a tiny surface-mount resistor you have to re-solder) so I'm fairly good with bits - is there a similar DIY for pixel repairs?

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic
173 Posts
I have duff displays in the E430: do I deduce that taking the cluster out won't fix the pixellation weirdness in the shift display? I fixed the Forester's clock (which is a tiny surface-mount resistor you have to re-solder) so I'm fairly good with bits - is there a similar DIY for pixel repairs?
DUFF displays??????????????

The only way to tell if you can repair it is to take the dash out, split the front and rear cover off, plug the board back in and press the ribbons to see if you get the correct display. If it still pixelates or you get no readings, you need to send it out. If your display comes back when pressed, take the board back out, use the foam method or whatever you can figure out to press the ribbon down on the printed board.

Also for a great tool to remove the dash. Go to a body supply place and get a body pull rod/pick for a few bucks. Hardened steel and works like a charm.

Looks like this.........Pull Rod Set (STC20000)

You can buy them seperately and you just need the one with a straight arm and an "L" shaped end.

·
Registered
2002 e320
344 Posts
help, i am stuck

i got the cluster out very easily using the tools from ohlord.
the pixels are better now, not perfect.
however when i replace the cluster, the 2 corner triangular pieces that have the check engine message etc are misaligned. they also just fell out when i opened the cluster. how can i get them to stay in place and aligned. glue?

thanks for any help
paul

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Line them up

and a drop of super glue,just a drop in case you need to pry it off and get it perfect if not perfect the first time.
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
2002 e320
344 Posts
thanks ohlord. you always help.
i used very thin strips of scotch tape and it worked. super glue would not have allowed any adjustment but the scotch tape did.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
thanks ohlord. you always help.
i used very thin strips of scotch tape and it worked. super glue would not have allowed any adjustment but the scotch tape did.
Just a thought here... if you noticed, each of the triangles have a tiny round hole on the bottom... and the cluster housing has a notch (looks like a "pimple") so that when you snap in the the housings together, the hole on the triangle should be placed right on top of that "pimple"... this is what holds the triangle in place... properly :)

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic
173 Posts
Just a thought here... if you noticed, each of the triangles have a tiny round hole on the bottom... and the cluster housing has a notch (looks like a "pimple") so that when you snap in the the housings together, the hole on the triangle should be placed right on top of that "pimple"... this is what holds the triangle in place... properly :)
Actually the hole in the bottom of the color strips are there for a reason. You have to put the panels together but do not snap them down. Then you take the strips and if you look at the dash, you will see a slot that they push up into. Do one side at a time. Push the strip in, play with it for a second until the hole goes over the pin. Snap that side of the dash together. Repeat for the other one.

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic sedan, 68K miles (purchased Jan 2017)
853 Posts
if doing all this doesn't fix the issue, do you just buy a new part? jh, you've mentioned sending it out, can the part be repaired, or do you mean sending the car out to have this issue fixed? i'm sure I can get in there and replace the part if it needs replacing; i'm having this issue too and will try the DIY first though. kinda worried that if I'm not able to get it back together I won't be able to drive it though...

·
Registered
2000-E320, 2012 Buick Enclave, 2004 Ford Ranger, 1973 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow
194 Posts
BBA Remanufacturing repairs them, they charge $225.00 plus $20 shipping. They are in Taunton, MA.

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic sedan, 68K miles (purchased Jan 2017)
853 Posts
i'm hoping they have a bay and take appointments as i can't send the part out and go without the car for a few days...$225, that doesn't get you a new part?? :)

thanks for the info i may have to go that route!

on the diy, does anyone have a particular foam block part that works better than another? not sure which to buy.

·
Registered
2000-E320, 2012 Buick Enclave, 2004 Ford Ranger, 1973 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow
194 Posts
No, $225 wouldn't even touch it! The list price is about $1,000.00. You right in that you wouldn't be able to drive it. Turn around for me was about a week.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Dear everyone, I am unable to view the pdf file on page one, it seems the file is corrupted, could someone email the file to me please? I have a 2000 E320 multihand badly needed to be fixed. Thank you so much.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts