Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E430 220K mi. Obsidian Black metallic, Ash/Orion Grey interior
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver's side sun visor had become very stiff to lower or raise and I was contemplating paying $180 at the dealer to buy a new one. But I thought I should try and see if I could get some oil inside and free up the internal hinge.

So first I removed the visor from the car. Then, I got a can of lubricant with a flexible straw tube applicator and worked the straw between the shaft of the visor and the cloth covering. I pushed it in about an inch or so along the shaft until I could feel it touch the hinge then connected it to the can of lubricant and carefully applied a few drops of oil. Then I pulled out the straw tube and inserted it 180 degrees around on the other side of the shaft then carefully applied another drop or two of oil Then I turned the shaft back and forth a few times until it started to turn more easily.

Then I let the visor stand on end for a couple of hours so any excess oil would drip down the shaft instead of soaking out through and staining the fabric covering.

I put the visor back in the car and it is as good as new! Just like the other side and it didn't cost me a dime! :thumbsup:

Fred

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Thanks, I've got the same problem on mine. I'll try your method as well. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2000 4Matic Estate E320S4 210.282
824 Posts
fosmith,

that sounds like a great job! :thumbsup:

I did the same thing to mine a few weeks back with the opposite result: it got so stiff that it will hardly move now. :confused:

I used a Canadian made spray lubricant called JIG-A-LOO, that won't drip or stain.

What kind of oil did you use; was it in spray form?

MTIA

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used a product called "One Lube" made by Slick 50. It's not a spray but a pump applicator in what looks like slender aerosol can. It has nozzle just like spray lubes that the little plastic tube snaps into to direct the lube just where you need it. But I would think WD40 would work as well if you were very careful to only use just a little. I can't imagine how applying any lube to a hinge would make it stiffer??? :confused:
Fred
that sounds like a great job! :thumbsup:

I did the same thing to mine a few weeks back with the opposite result: it got so stiff that it will hardly move now. :confused:

I used a Canadian made spray lubricant called JIG-A-LOO, that won't drip or stain.

What kind of oil did you use; was it in spray form?

MTIA

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I don't have access to a digital camera or camcorder right now. If I can get my camera back from my son, I will post a photo. :D
Fred

>>DIY - I repaired my sun visor!

Pictures? Video?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
One lube is good stuff.

I'd be hesitant to use WD-40 as it is so runny, plus it's hard to find in a "drip" dispenser as it is usually aerosol (which would blast way too much in there).

Good job, Fred. That's one more thing I hope I don't have to do. :D That said, next on my list is the heater element in the driver's seatback. (Ugh...I hate upholstery work, but I'm going to see if there are some shortcuts I can discover.)

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes Benz 230 SLK
12 Posts
DIY - I Repaired My Sunvisor Too (a different method) 2005 E-320 My drivers side was hanging down about 2 inches and wouldn't stay up and was so stiff to put down. So, I tried something a little different. I undid the visor from the plastic snap, like you would if you were going to turn it towards the drivers side door. With the door open, I pulled (and it was difficult) the visor out to extend it so you could see the metal arm that was inside. The metal arm was covered in a gunk like substance. No wonder it was so stiff. So I put some acetone on a clean rag and wiped down the arm to remove the crud. I then pushed the visor back onto the arm and pulled it back out. More crud! Used some more acetone and clean part of the rag. Pushed the visor back on, but this time twisted the visor back and forth around the metal arm and pulled it back out again. More crud, and removed it. I kept doing that until I couldn't see any more of the gunk-crud like substance. (it took about 10 minutes). You apply the acetone to the rag so there's no staining the fabric and the acetone evaporates quickly. Finally, when I got as much of the crud as I could off, I applied some WD-40 to a clean rag and wiped it on the metal arm. Then I pushed the visor back onto the metal arm and pushed and pulled in and out. I applied more WD-40 as necessary because in reality that visor should easily slide off to extend. Also, when the visor was back on the metal arm I twisted it back and forth. What a difference it made! I was able to get it in an upright position against the roof and then attach it back. Maybe not a perfect repair, but it got rid of the annoyance of it hitting me in the head all the time! So, I don't think it had to be a $200 replacement. You can repair this yourself. Thanks to all the other posters for their ideas too. (This picture is just an example)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never knew that the visor pulled out in this way... Thanks for posting this.

Fred

·
Registered
W204 & W211
2,717 Posts
fred, can u post pic of "flexible straw tube applicator" u used?
or a link to where u bought them?
i applied lubricator on the shaft only and that didn't work...

My driver's side sun visor had become very stiff to lower or raise and I was contemplating paying $180 at the dealer to buy a new one. But I thought I should try and see if I could get some oil inside and free up the internal hinge.

So first I removed the visor from the car. Then, I got a can of lubricant with a flexible straw tube applicator and worked the straw between the shaft of the visor and the cloth covering. I pushed it in about an inch or so along the shaft until I could feel it touch the hinge then connected it to the can of lubricant and carefully applied a few drops of oil. Then I pulled out the straw tube and inserted it 180 degrees around on the other side of the shaft then carefully applied another drop or two of oil Then I turned the shaft back and forth a few times until it started to turn more easily.

Then I let the visor stand on end for a couple of hours so any excess oil would drip down the shaft instead of soaking out through and staining the fabric covering.

I put the visor back in the car and it is as good as new! Just like the other side and it didn't cost me a dime! :thumbsup:

Fred

·
Registered
2000 E430 4matic
58 Posts
fred, can u post pic of "flexible straw tube applicator" u used?
or a link to where u bought them?
i applied lubricator on the shaft only and that didn't work...
I imagine he's talking about the red straw that comes with most cans of any type of lube or lot of other aerosols. WD-40, or Liquid Wrench, Gumout, even those keyboard duster cans.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I imagine he's talking about the red straw that comes with most cans of any type of lube or lot of other aerosols. WD-40, or Liquid Wrench, Gumout, even those keyboard duster cans.
That's exactly what I was talking about. I don't remember the kind of lube I used but you have to work the straw into the opening where the shaft comes out of the visor. Use only a little as you don't want it to drip inside and stain the visor. Then work the visor up and down. It probably helps if you pull out the visor on the shaft. When I did it I didn't know it even pulled out like that.

Fred

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
Hi Fred,

Thank you for this solution as I am also dealing with similar problem on passenger side. I will definitely give it a try as this problem was really bothering me.

Thanks again,
TJ.

·
Registered
2002 e320 4matic Wagon
868 Posts
I would never use WD-40 as anything more than a temporary lubricant. It evaporates quickly. Use silicone or or mineral based oil.

·
Registered
2005 S500
1 Posts
Great discussion and I thank everyone for sharing their experiences. I have a 2005 S500 with a very sticky driver visor. It would creak when you tried to adjust it and many times would come out of the right-hand support when trying to adjust it. I did try the clean and lube to no avail. I saw you crud on the bar that I thought I might see. I took it off the bar by pointing it rearward and tapping my palm to push it entirely of the bar. I then found a chainsaw file and wrapped some paper towel around it and pushed it into the visor. It cleaned some matter out but not beyond what I'd expect. I then used the file to clean out/file the opening (this is a fine file btw). My thought was that the path may be slightly bent and that the file may open it up for movement. I feel I have little to lose at this point. Well, it works 90% better. No groans and pivots with about 20% of what it took before. I plan to use it for a bit and possible give it another dose of the file if it seems warranted. With this in mind, caution should be considered as not to take too much off - by go without saying... I used white lithium grease afterwards.

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,775 Posts
I'd like to thank Fred from his post 7 years ago - the sun visor on our E430 was stiff and no longer smooth - did his trick of putting a few drops of TriFlow (I use it for my guns - has Teflon and it was almost miraculous.

I was wondering if there was any plastic down there where the oil goes and naturally putting a petroleum based lubricant will eat at the plastic, but regardless it beat buying a new visor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts