Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Thank you all for contributing to this thread, after getting an estimate of $2900, picked up my ML430 from the shop, "puttered" home and after couple of hours - runs and drives again like a tank again!!!

Many many thanks!!!

Kind regards,
D

·
Registered
228 Posts
I also need to get a new pump as my fuel gauge is not working properly. I have been putting off this replacement for some time but it has become just too annoying. I know that autohausaz.com sells them but could anyone tell me what else I need to get beside the pump? Here is my VIN number (last 6 digits): 213698

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,756 Posts
Hopefully you will choose the OE pump. You should also get a heat gun to ease the removal of the metal plate.

Dull up a cheap chisel to remove and install the plastic nut. Also make sure it is installed correctly.

Also consider installing a new filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm not sure if my 1999 ML430 has had the upgraded fuel pump and filter.
I would gladly do that mod if it will fix my fuel gauge indication problem.
Is there any correlation?
My gauge sometimes says Empty after fill up.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I'm not sure if my 1999 ML430 has had the upgraded fuel pump and filter.
I would gladly do that mod if it will fix my fuel gauge indication problem.
Is there any correlation?
My gauge sometimes says Empty after fill up.
Fuel gauge empty issue has no correlation with the upgraded fuel filter. Your problem is related to the corrosion of the fuel sender (part of the pump assembly) and the fuel pump upgrade did not address the fuel sender.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I believe he meant to say fuel filter upgrade. The level "sensor" is just a resistive strip (3 strips actually ) and works in the same way a volumee control does. As the float goes up and down the resistance changes and thats what you see in your gauge. The problem is the resistive strips will over time become coated in varnish from gasoline. That usually shows up as an error on the top part of your fuel quantity. The float is always moving away from full so that tends to get coated and not scrubbed back off as a result eventually resulting in our problem.

Replacing the pump will also replace the sensor. You can't find it separately and plenty of peeps have tried lol. So we get stuck with the expensive option of having to replace the pump just to get the gauge to work again. There are cheap pumps ie under $100 but the few people who used them that I talked to ended up replacing them within a year or two. I think I paid $160 for mine and it was one of the reccomended ones. I would have to look it up to tell you the brand as its been a few years now. It fixed my gauge and I noticed improvements in starting and idle. I also replaced the fuel filter at the same time as it is slightly easier for access. The filter also needs three small rubber hoses replaced. My indie did that for me and said that normal band clamps work fine if you didnt have that tool.

Anyway just plan ahead and have all the parts on hand. Take the rear seat out or tilt it and a few hours and everything should be working againq

·
Registered
15 Posts
Where are the install instructions? This plastic ring wont line back up and nothing I found online addresses it...

41 - 49 of 49 Posts