Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any body have a link to this?
I have a 1999 ML430 and the AC is not working, summer is right around the corner so I want to be ready for the summer heat in California.

Thanks In Advance

·
Registered
703 Posts
Does any body have a link to this?
I have a 1999 ML430 and the AC is not working, summer is right around the corner so I want to be ready for the summer heat in California.

Thanks In Advance
I would have an indy do it and add the die so you can find out where its leaking and fix it next time around.

·
Premium Member
16,774 Posts
I agree also that it should be done by an independant. This way any future problems, depending on his guarantee period, will be his.

·
Registered
35,800 Posts
You can buy refill bottle of freon with gauge and hose for about $15.
I did it last season on E. It was easier there, since E has AC pressure display on the climate console, but adding single bottle is not going to harm anything. If that doesn't work, than you take it to the shop.
Amazing thing, that freon on my E drained to absolute 0, but after refilling it hold for the rest of the season. Evidently something opened and closed on its own. Time to check it for this summer.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everyone.

I will try the REFIL first and if that fails I will go to the Indie and have hime do the full full service recap and refill on the freon.

·
Premium Member
16,774 Posts
thanks everyone.

I will try the REFIL first and if that fails I will go to the Indie and have hime do the full full service recap and refill on the freon.
Have you ever done this before? Make sure there is no refrigerant in the system before you start.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I agree, you may want to evacuate the system in order to remove all the impurities that affect the AC performnace. Since you will be evacuating the system, you will need to add some oil, too. It makes a huge performance difference having a system with no water/impurities in it. It cools very fast and gets as cold as the system can..

You will need to take it to some AC place where they have the machine to do it.

AC

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what is the typical price on this job?

I have gotten 2 price quotes so far: PEPBOYS want $180, MBZ MOTORS wants $80

·
Registered
259 Posts
r132 evac and refill should not cost more than $100. Bring it to a MB independent service center. They usually have the right tools and specs to go by.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
r132 evac and refill should not cost more than $100. Bring it to a MB independent service center. They usually have the right tools and specs to go by.
Believe its R134, not 132 as you stated. If in fact his system needs lots of gas then he must have it leak checked or he may be back in the same situation shortly. Gas leaks are not normal and any system that needs a refill should be leak checked. To correctly evacuate the system specific equipment is required and the drier should also be changed as it may be full of moisture and impurities.

·
Registered
35,800 Posts
The reason for vacuuming empty system is to suck all the moisture from it. Dryer is in the system to catch all the impurities and unless you recharged oil several times, there is no reason for replacing it.
The only definite reason for replacing dryer is when you convert old R12 system to R134. The oils are not comparable and flushing is not too efficient.
Couple decades ago I was working at AC shop. We dumped all freon into the atmosphere, vacuumed and refiled with fresh one as standard seasonal routine. The freon cost was below $2 a pound. Than somebody found holes in ozone and the whole situation started.
Now nobody will evacuate freon from the system that still hold some pressure. Finding small leak sometimes is impossible. Especially like in my car something opens and close on its own with no leaks between. With $6 a can for R134 I just add a can or two a season.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts