Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 E320
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

The oil pan of my 98 E320 is leaking pretty bad. I could see the oil came out all over around the oil pan. Is this a good DIY job? I didn't see the DIY posted on the sticky.

Does E320 use the oil pan gasket or it's using the sealant?

It seems to me that there is no part in the way of the oil pan and shouldn't be too hard to replace the gasket.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,261 Posts
My workshop book got a page on "oil sump removal and installation" for 1993-2000 W210.
The picture on the page shows a gasket. The steps start with "The oil sump can be removed with the engine fitted to the vehicle, but the engine must be lifted out of its mounting in order to lower the sump." then the steps went on "... disconnect the linkage from the stabilizer bar ... remove steering linkage ... disconnect exhaust pipe from the manifold ... lift the engine high enough ..."

IMO, it's not something that you want DIY. At Pep Boys, I saw some adhesive spray that can seal the leak on the outside since it's not a high pressure system. Oil gasket leak is not a big leak, it's localized. Locate the leak, clean the area thoroughly, then spray the adhesive as instructed on the can. My cousin had done it and it worked for him on an older MB. Maybe tightening a bolt or two can fix the leak.

·
Registered
98 E320
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

I got the work shop manual you mentioned too. It's strange that the oil pan for my E320 looks completely different from the work shop manual. Mine is the rectangular shape and huge and I observed very closely that it has like 20 bolts surrounding the pan. I am pretty sure if I loosen all the bolts and the pan will drop right out. There is nothing in the way at all.

May be there is the different version? I also noticed that 3 bolts were missing.
I might not have other choice but replacing the gasket.

Steve

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
Hi,

I got the work shop manual you mentioned too. It's strange that the oil pan for my E320 looks completely different from the work shop manual. Mine is the rectangular shape and huge and I observed very closely that it has like 20 bolts surrounding the pan. I am pretty sure if I loosen all the bolts and the pan will drop right out. There is nothing in the way at all.
in that case should be pretty easy. make sure you clean the pan pretty good and that you use the right sealant, you can ask the dealer what they use. you should probably replace the 3 bolts that are missing. also i would let it dry overnight before starting the car, and don't reuse the old oil:D

·
Registered
96 E-320, 91 190E, various and sundry Euro and American vehicles
12,141 Posts
One quick thought is to replace missing bolts but also check torque and see if any are loose. It may turn out just a slight snugging of the bolts will solve your problem, but don't overtorque. Many times this works and other times you compress the old gasket and possibly cause it to crack, causing worse leaks, thus meaning the gasket needs done.

But..

What could be the harm? You've already decided you are going to replace the gasket anyways. It may or may not stop the problem.

aardvark

·
Registered
98 E320
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went to Mercedes dealer today. There is no gasket for the oil pan. They told me to just use the sealant to seal the oil pan. Very interesting. I ordered the bolts since they didn't have in stock and will install them when I get them. I will try to re-seal the pan by using the spray sealant recommended here. I hope this will stop the leak. Thanks.

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts