Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
so I own the W220 S500 from 2002
i have seen a few on the internet that has electric trunks where you basically just press a butten and it will open/close. mine does not have this, it just has some normal springs, I was wondering if it would be expensive/hard to swap that out with the electric one?

W220 Moderator
S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Easy if you can find a Donor Car with all the parts on, don't forget the Switch in the Drivers Door as IIRC they are different..

You definitely need SDS to Version Code it into the PSE, also may have to change the PSE as not all can be Configured ;)

HTH,

Registered
Too many to list
Not quite that easy , it鈥檚 not just electric it鈥檚 hydraulic system used to open and close and it uses a separate hydraulic pump , lifting ram and numerous other components . The only way to do this is with a parts car since the parts alone would cost thousands

Even the springs are eliminated and gas shocks are used instead , so the hinges may differ too

Registered
Too many to list
Here are just two of the dozens of parts you鈥檒l need , you鈥檒l need wiring , the other side hinge etc . Probably $500+ just in used parts , or $3000+ in new parts

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Not quite that easy , it鈥檚 not just electric it鈥檚 hydraulic system used to open and close and it uses a separate hydraulic pump , lifting ram and numerous other components . The only way to do this is with a parts car since the parts alone would cost thousands

Even the springs are eliminated and gas shocks are used instead , so the hinges may differ too
Thanks for the information, I wasn鈥檛 really planning on doing it as it鈥檚 not a small job, was just thinking 鈥渋f it鈥檚 very easy and cheap鈥 which it鈥檚 clearly isn鈥檛

W220 Moderator

W220 Moderator
Easy ....= Not difficult !!

It took me about 2 hrs, actually took longer to Version Code and Normalise the one I did, (CL 600, exact same job), but I hadn't ever done the job before, and was fairly new to SDS, and the Car did not have a compatible PSE so I had to swap that with one from another Car, too long a story, it's on Benzworld Forum somewhere lol

Do you have SDS ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts