Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a E320 1997 (Inline 6). Here winter is cold and even if my engine temp is normal, inside the cabin, the temp is not hot (not cold but just mild). I beleive that it is my coolant thermostat that need to be changed. Can you please provide me with a DIY (Do it yourself...) to change it?

Once I'll changed it, if ever the temp stays unchanged, do you have any hint to help me out?

Thanks in advance,

Uncle Benz

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Hi,

I have a E320 1997 (Inline 6). Here winter is cold and even if my engine temp is normal, inside the cabin, the temp is not hot (not cold but just mild). I beleive that it is my coolant thermostat that need to be changed. Can you please provide me with a DIY (Do it yourself...) to change it?

Once I'll changed it, if ever the temp stays unchanged, do you have any hint to help me out?

Thanks in advance,

Uncle Benz
Hey, Uncle. Does your coolant temperature gauge go up into the normal zone? If so then it's not your thermostat, when it fails then the temp gauge won't move very much when it's really cold.

If the temp gauge is acting normally but you're not getting warm air through the vents, then it may be that your duovalve is sticking or broken. Here is link (noted in our DIY sticky) on how to disassemble, inspect and clean it, if you find it is broken there is another DIY on an inexpensive repair. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1350793-duovalve-removal-cleaning.html

Hope that helps!

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, Uncle. Does your coolant temperature gauge go up into the normal zone? If so then it's not your thermostat, when it fails then the temp gauge won't move very much when it's really cold.

If the temp gauge is acting normally but you're not getting warm air through the vents, then it may be that your duovalve is sticking or broken. Here is link (noted in our DIY sticky) on how to disassemble, inspect and clean it, if you find it is broken there is another DIY on an inexpensive repair. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1350793-duovalve-removal-cleaning.html

Hope that helps!

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg
Hi Greg,

Thanks so much for your information. Instead of buying a new thermostat, I will try to clean myself the duovalve. It doesn't seem too difficult to do.

My only problem is the outside temperature here to do it. Presently it is -17C (1.4F)

Thanks again,

Uncle Benz

·
Registered
35,767 Posts
I wouldn't start replacing parts without testing them. Right now infra red thermometers sell for $10 and with one you can test lot of things, including thermostat and duo-valve.
Bad news is, that at -17C the car might never get a chance to get warm. Even in CA weather starting at about +10 C I need like 3 miles to start getting some serious heat.
New generation, economical engines don't produce much heat. I heard that the super economical cars in Europe get gasoline, or diesel burners for comfort heat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts