Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CLK 500 Previously: 2001 CLK 430
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it was finally that time at 12 years old (the car, not me) I needed to change one of the HID Xenon headlight bulbs.

I did of course change both.

The local parts store had them for $100 each bulb. I found a pair for only about $50 taxes and shipping included.

CLK Class 320 500 55 03 04 05 06 07 HID Xenon D2S Replacement Bulb OEM Plug N Pl | eBay

Here is some pics to help out. I took them each step as you will be doing this almost blind. You can sort of get your head in to see but it is a challenge.

The cover, you will need to unscrew it CCW.
IMG_3026.jpg

Here is the ballast, same as the cover a little twist CCW then pull.
IMG_3028.jpg

There is the bulb which rather than just screwing in has these 2 wire pressure clips. you can see them near the colored wires.
IMG_3031.jpg

You will need to push the ends of these clips in then they will pop out and to the side.
IMG_3032.jpg

Pull the bulb straight out so you know how the new one should go in.
IMG_3034.jpg

I had a challenge getting the pressure clips back on the first one. You will need to hold the bulb steady with one hand then get your other hand in there to play with the clip. I finally used needle nose pliers to get the ******* to take. The second one was a breeze.

The new one are so crisp with a hint of blue, they look sexy again. I'm glad last week I restored the lenses as well.

Total time it should take is less than 10 minutes, for me about 15 minutes on the first side, a cigarette, and 8-9 F bombs. The 2nd side about 2 minutes.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
Nice photos..:) Another fine DIY post for the C209 Sticky thread, please mods....

Do you have to keep your fingers off the bulb glass?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice photos..:) Another fine DIY post for the C209 Sticky thread, please mods....

Do you have to keep your fingers off the bulb glass?
i used latex gloves to be safe, but really i had no issues that needed even getting close, i held the base and put it in the hole, once there the hole held it while i reclipped it in.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i used latex gloves to be safe, but really i had no issues that needed even getting close, i held the base and put it in the hole, once there the hole held it while i reclipped it in.
Wow this post reads a little......NSFW lol

·
BenzWorld Elitist
Mercedes-Benz
11,490 Posts
Another fine DIY post for the C209 Sticky thread, please mods....
It is done.. and everyone please PM me whenever you have suggestions, as I cannot read every thread in every forum.
Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts