Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have looked through all the knowledge base posts and can’t find ( may have missed it ) a post of anyone replacing the timing chain and guides on the V8, have done a couple myself on the old W126 V8’s but would like to see what the job is like on these double overhead cam engines, anyone out there tackled it them selves.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I was wondering the same with my S420 however im told it doesnt have to be touched. By the sound of the engine at cold start I hear no symptoms or anything...just perfect.

As with my old W126 that was another story. Horrible engines back then.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Martin but went through our esteemed German mechanics posts twice ( very entertaining ) but failed to pick up an actual description of a chain replacement, maybe it’s me missing something. As to why I am looking at replacing the timing chain, well I don’t believe anything lasts for ever and have just turned over 200 000 Kilometres and need to make a decision to keep the car or look for something else, if I keep it I will more than likely put another 100 000 on it and want to make sure I cover all the bases so I have piece of mind and I don’t mind getting my hands dirty, replacing the chain and guides on the W126 was easy enough and wondered if the procedure was similar on these engines, as for how good or bad the old W126 engines were, I liked them, had two in succession, little underpowered if strangled by too much emissions crap but Hong Kong cars without all the emissions went like stink, locally here in Australia you can now pay more for a good W126 that you can get a W140 for, I have lost about $ 20 000 in depreciation since I bought the car 4 or 5 years ago hence the turning point, do I keep it or move on, if I do change it will likely be back to W124, W126, or another W140 if I can find a low mileage example, I don’t personally have any time for the newer models, or ( may the Mercedes gods strike me dead ) a BMW, that would be a shame after having owned with pride 9 Mercedes to date.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
If you really want to change the chain I can print it off for the 119

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
Thanks for the offer television, would be much appreciated
Would you please pop up a reminder early next week and I will print off for you

·
7,943 Posts
Valve Guides

Mr. Hoggy,

I appreciate your concern for the devaluation of your W140. Here in the Western USA. These cars are basically "junk" because one basic core component is damaged; The car diminishes to a 50th to 100th of its original selling price, but the nature of this car has more components to do the same task compared to other vehicles, yet the classic lines, and engineering of this car has something for the person who appreciates this which is most people on this forum. To me this an opportunity(to own one of these!)

Now, I do not know what your exchange rate is to the American Dollar? Here in the San Francisco and Los Angele's area a S500 for about $3000 USD to $5000 USD. In the last couple of weeks a few 1995 S500 is going for $1900 USD.

If I had to think out of the box here, I'd think the USA has bargain W140's compared to other countries of the world. In the very early 90's I worked for a school friend of mine from Germany. His background was all of the electronic nature, and had no vehicle service skills of any kind, yet in those years he would ship-out American Classic Cars to Germany to make a $10,000 to $20,000 USD profit on each. This may be something to be entertained providing the valuation of these cars continues high in other countries?

Here is a change of pace! A few links I found.

PeachPartsWiki: Do It Yourself Articles - Mercedes Vehicles

PeachPartsWiki: Replacing Cam Oil Line Fittings (Oil Guides)

05 Engine, Camshaft and Valve Train - M119

E420 M119 Timing Chain- Here's my story - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

E420 (M119) Timing Chain Tensioner - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

Martin

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Martin

Exactly what I was looking for, don't get me wrong I'm not sorry I got the car, it has been great so far, couple of niggly things but nothing that I can't handle, it's just that I can't get my head round how little it's worth compared to run of the mill cars that I would not like to have to drive every day, the up side is if I do go for another W140 in the future it won't cost me a lot, thanks again for the info.

·
7,943 Posts
I just accept these cars as a great labor of love, at the same time these cars will demand continues labor to maintain-very much like owning an airplane.

I bought mine right about the same time you did, and I paid $9000.00, and now it is worth only $3000.00. I've added about $2000 in parts. A total loss, but a complete joy to drive.

Glad the links worked out for you..

Martin

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
Sign of the current oil economy times. No one wants (or rather, just many fewer people can even afford) to run these gas guzzlers. There's just no market for them. And, so down go the prices.

Brett

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Sign of the current oil economy times. No one wants (or rather, just many fewer people can even afford) to run these gas guzzlers. There's just no market for them. And, so down go the prices.

Brett
Yeah Brett, in addition, not many people want an old car. They always ask
"What year is it?"

It's like the guy on the forum who once wrote that he had picked up a nicely fashioned chick at a bar who had seen him drive up in a well maintained black/black'95 S500.

When she got into the car, she asked him what year the car was and he told her it was a '95.

He went on to say that after he told her that she became distant, cold and unenthusiastic and the evening became very boring for him and the conversation became labored. He got nowhere with her which in the final analysis was probably a good thing.
----------
A corollary to Murphy's law:If you have a 50% chance of being right you'll be 90% wrong

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Sign of the current oil economy times. No one wants (or rather, just many fewer people can even afford) to run these gas guzzlers.

Brett
Not true, I have spent the last two months trying to find a 93-99 - 140.057. They are hard to find.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts

Brett
Wrong.

A Chevy cruze give twitter and Facebook updates. A w140 does not. Get your facts straight!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I see the depreciation thing is a hot topic but also agree with “Mercedes Mechanic” not that many W140’s around, at least not here in Perth Australia, which is the way I like it, makes driving it a lot more fun, lets face it a degree exclusivity is half the attraction of Mercedes in the first place, at least it was until they followed the rest of the mass produced box manufacturers, still look forward to the drive to work each day and 99% of the time I won’t see another W140, there must be a fare few here but buggered if I know where they are hiding. Getting back to the original topic, the timing chain, as a daily drive and the fact that I would be hard pressed to replace the care with a Mercedes model I like is good enough reason for me to spend some time and a bit of money on the old girl even if in theory the chain may be good for a while yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts