Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Have 2000 CLK320 soft top,W210s replaced with rare'11 Turbo 9-5NG (only 500 imported) , '07 9-7x.
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The following are steps it took to install Ipod aux input on factory Becker Mercedes head unit (used 1996 - 1998 model year) for free. I believe this is called a tape deck hack since a blank tape has to be put in for the input to work. This method will give you crystal clear digital sound WITHOUT FM modulator interference and you get to keep stock look that no one wants to steal. This hack it very easy and can be done in 10 minutes all you need is and auxillary cord with male end and a soldering iron to solder 3 wires Red (right) White (left) and black or exposed (ground)

**Please proceed at your own risk and make sure you have an extra head unit handy if you don't know what you are doing. If you are familar with mercedes radios, this can be done in less than 10 mins from start to finish.

This head unit is actually in 1998 w210 wagon.

1) pry off top of unit.

2) Three very easy solders - Solder points are clearly marked L & R for Left and Right channels on the top of the tape deck circut board(can be see immediately after prying lid). Solider auxillary line wires to these points and put the ground wire under screw or solder it to ground bare metal in radio. If your aux cable has exposed ground wire, make sure its cover up so it doesn't bump against circuit board.

3) Snap top back onto radio. Your done!

4) Blank cassette tape with all its guts removed must be used and inserted to activate tape player. Problems could occur if you do not use a gutted out tape.
6) Play empty tape and enjoy crystal clear high quality digital music. I have done this to two of my mercedes that still have factory radios and now I almost never listen to my FM radio.

And YES the tape player still works if you happen to care. Good luck.

If you have a 1999 - 2002 benz radio see my other post:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1591438-diy-ipod-auxillary-input-2000-2002-a.html

You Tube video link below:

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 C320 W203 Black on Black. 1997 E320 W210 Silver (RIP). 1995 E320 W124 Pearl Black.
595 Posts
Hi John.
The CD changer should be in the trunk on the left side if your car equipped, if not the prewire should be down the goove in case you found some CD changer to add on. But I think it's easier and cheaper to add the aux input like OP.
Hope this help

·
Registered
90 420SEL 240,000 miles strong
557 Posts
Very happy to know about this. Using the tape adapter really ruins the quality of the sound.

·
Registered
2008 E350 110k, 2000 E320 143k, 1983 380SEC 240k
918 Posts
Nice! My girlfriend thanks you.

I found a male-to-male audio connector and snipped off one end to strip and solder the wires. She has the eyeglass compartment beneath the audio, so I drilled a hole in the back and pulled the plug on the opposite end through.

·
Registered
300CE24'92, E220CDI'02, 500SEL'84
15 Posts
Hi, this works on several Blaupunkt models too. today i did this to Dealer-mounted W124 Blaupunkt Verona RCR 45.

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes-Benz C280
1 Posts
Hi jc-place, just wanted to thank you for posting this. I tried it on my 95 W202 with Becker head unit and it worked great. I have been searching for weeks for a solution and it was so easy, I could hardly believe it. Greatly appreciated! Cheers from Ontario, CANADA.

·
Registered
1996 E300D
4 Posts
I just did this for my 1996 E-Class, has anyone had a problem with it overdriving the input ? I have an iPod cable with a line out instead using the headphone jack so I am not sure if that is the problem .

·
Registered
'91 M1A1 Abram's Tank
2,538 Posts
I just did this for my 1996 E-Class, has anyone had a problem with it overdriving the input ? I have an iPod cable with a line out instead using the headphone jack so I am not sure if that is the problem .
Does the bass sound over driven?

I set my iPod to 80% volume and then turned on "bass Reducer " in the EQ settings. The non bose stock speakers are terrible.

·
Registered
1996 E300D
4 Posts
Yes the bass seems pretty high, using the line out instead of the headphone jack on the ipod though the volume control doesn't adjust the level. I went with a line out cable that plugs into the dock connector for the better sound quality. I am guessing the pre-amp for the tape heads need a different impedance .

·
Registered
'91 M1A1 Abram's Tank
2,538 Posts
Yes the bass seems pretty high, using the line out instead of the headphone jack on the ipod though the volume control doesn't adjust the level. I went with a line out cable that plugs into the dock connector for the better sound quality. I am guessing the pre-amp for the tape heads need a different impedance .

Try the head phone jack instead. I thought about putting a resister in line into the tape input, but even with the ipod's volume on minimal you get that "over driven" sound.

Does anyone know the output voltage on the ipod or the what the stock deck looks for on the tape input?

I would think the tape deck would be in the milli amp range, like a phono input.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Doesn't tape drive motor run? What about cell phone input?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have to place an empty (gutted) cassette in the deck to use this mod, doesn't that mean the tape drive motor is constantly running when you're using the aux input? And doesn't that generate undesirable noise and heat?

Is it possible to feed an aux signal in through the RJ-45 jack used by the factory cell phone? I'd like to keep the factory CD changer functional, but I could care less about the cell phone. Seems like that should be possible, since the phone, when in use, overrides whatever else is playing on the radio.

Cheers,
Paul
1996 E300D
(Becker 1692 head unit; factory phone, amplifier, CD changer)

·
Registered
1997 e320
3 Posts
Thanks for this post. I just tried this out with an auxiliary cable, I only wish that i had a soldering gun with a smaller tip, that would of made it much easier. This was quick and easy.

One warning, i didn't know about the CODE message. unfortunately i bought a car used and the codes were not provided. If you are going to try this, get your codes first, i'm anxious to hear how it worked out.

·
Registered
1998 SL 500 Silver over Black - Sold. 2003 SL500 Red over Charcoal
24 Posts
Just did this mod this morning, works very well as advertised.

As a side note, my radio was the CD2936 from Alpine and my car is a 98 SL500. Looks identical on the outside to the OP's radio. Inside, the board is printed differently, but the pin-outs seem to be the same as it works perfectly and the balance is correct as well. I soldered the ground to the same spot as the OP, but in my Alpine radio there is a ground strap already going to that point. I was able to wrap my bare ground wire around that and solder it on.

As others have said, the board is very small so take your time and be sure not to let any of the wires touch. I was able to route the cable through the back of the unit in front of the heat sink and through a small gap near the plastic connector for the wiring harness.

Thanks to the OP and this board for a great DIY!!:bowdown:

·
Registered
W123 200 ('84); E300 Diesel ('96 W210); C270 CDi ('03)
31 Posts
Hi... Great topic, with very clear step-by-step instructions. WELL DONE!! I have very limited wiring experience, and even i could do this (hehehe). I would like to maybe just add a few pointers (and questions) if i may.

When i saw this topic, i was very excited, since i love the stock look of my head unit, yet would like the functionality of mp3 playback. I also saw some other potential with this modification (pluggin in your GPS so that the instructions are played over the cars speaker, for when conditions are such that one cant hear the commands clearly over the GPS speaker, or for a handsfree kit, as described here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1602500-easy-add-bluetooth-your-added-aux.html .... on a side note, one doesnt really need to have such an elaborate setup for a handsfree setup-just plug the phone straight into the aux jack, and put the phone on loud speaker when a call comes through-aloot less wires that way)...

anyway, i soldered my first aux wire, which consisted of 3 separate wires (L-channel, R-channel, and earth). This worked great, except that as a handsfree kit it didnt work out fantastic, since the aux wire now acts as an aerial as well, with ALLOT of EMI interference (the same sound you get when you hold a cell phone in front of a speaker)

Round number 2, and i got a new shielded Aux wire, where the earth isnt a separate wire, but rather copper strands AROUND the isolated left and right channels. Desolder and Resolder... this improved the EMI a little, but still audible to the extent where its irritating.. Wheter the phone is plugged in directly into the aux cable, or done via a bluetooth adapter as described above, the EMI is still there, and i dont notice that the one method is worse than the other.

Then onto the net for some research, and i found this:

Some more research, and a phone call to a friend, and i realize this isnt as simple as just snapping it on the Aux input, these little magnets comes in different ratings, and one needs allot of tech-savvy to know which to purchase, how many to purchase, how far down the line they must be snapped on etc etc. Plus i read that it STILL wouldn't be a guaranteed fix.

There are better shielded cable out there, but where i live those are hard to come by, and ill need to wait until im in the city again. for that matter, im going to have to wait for my city trip anyway to buy these ferrite chokes.

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone else had similar problems?

Let me just state once again that the Aux input works great, and does exactly what it was intended for, my problems comes from trying to add some more functionality to a great hack/modification

1 - 20 of 39 Posts