Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
You need different grill, the whole deal. Stick to the year appropriate for your car, facelifted ones will not fit on older models, and vice versa...
What I did for my grille was to buy a CLS grille with the Distronic star and put it on the SL grille. I wasn't able to find a Distronic grille for the SL for a resonable amount of money.

The CLS one fits just fine but you do have to secure the star with some JB Weld or similar. When it all done you cannot see the difference.

·
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
You got lucky, your grill was soft, mine was brittle (as most R230 grills out there, thus broken upper tabs); it cracked during the swap procedure, while I was deremeling it to fit the DTR one...

I ended up buying a new one from the dealer...

Used ones pop every now and then on ebay for $300 average, new ones are about $750...

·
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I ended up with a star being used as an office ornament...

·
Registered
215 Posts
I am in the process of gathering parts for this project.

I have few questions which I would appreciate you guys to give me the best answer for.
I was wondering if my car needs the second unit with the Distronic sensor, my car has the date 04/05 printed on the driver door side.

I noticed also that Distronic sensor (the one that is all inclusive without second unit) has 2 connectors, the cable in the photo early in this thread shows one connector, does the other stay unconnected?

Thanks

Attachments

·
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Nothing goes in the round plug.

Only the 8 pin plug is used in the later generation Distronic.

PS. Dont buy the sensor pictured, because its broken, pins are all bent, and plug will leak water into the internals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe some of you that have coded Distronic yourself with Star Developer can help me out here...

On my 2002 SL500 i have done the DTR (Distronic) coding, but after all the coding i have ESP error C151C
"fault in CAN communication with ecu"

Any of you know if it is nessesary to change the settings in "Explizite Kodierung ME28 F3-Stand" Where the following options are available.
The car is coded as "4" now, but a change to "3" is tempting
1. R230_M113_E50_EU3EU4_NAG_ART_250_km/h_KickPWG_PKK_MRM_1131531279_1131532779_1131533079
2. R230_M113_E50_EU3EU4_NAG_VGB_250_km/h_KickPWG_PKK_MRM_1131531279_1131532779_1131533079
3. R230_M113_E50_EU3EU4_NAG_ART_ABC_250_km/h_KickPWG_PKK_MRM_1131531279_1131532779_1131533079
4. R230_M113_E50_EU3EU4_NAG_VGB_ABC_250_km/h_KickPWG_PKK_MRM_1131531279_1131532779_1131533079

The coding i have done on the car so far is this:

ADDING DTR TO EZS(ZGW) 1
control unit groups
body
EZS
control unit adaptions
read coding and change if....
Distronic (present/ not present)

ADDING DTR TO EZS(ZGW) 2
control unit groups
body
EZS
Development data
control unit adaptions
control unit adaptions (Variant coding)
Varcode_Description
Abstandregeltempomat "vorhanden/nicht vorhanden" (In English: Distronic "present/not present)

UNLOCK ME 2,8 SFI FOR PROGRAMMING
control unit groups
drive
ME 2,8 SFI
development data
actuations
complete index of actuations
steuergerät entriegeln -> confirm (In English: ECU unlock for programming))

ADDING DTR TO ME 2,8 SFI
control unit groups
drive
ME 2,8 SFI
development data
control unit adaption
variant coding
Implizite codierung
"Bandende, ART (Tempomat nicht aktiv)" (In English: Distronic (Cruise control not active))

ADDING DTR TO INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
control unit groups
information and communication
ICM - instrument.....
control unit adaptions
special equipment
Distronic (present/ not present)

RESET DTR MODULE
control unit groups
Drive
DTR distronic
control unit adaptions
Reset

ADDING DTR TO LOWER CONTROL PANEL (LCP)
body
LCP
development data
control unit adaptions
control unit adaptions (download)
programmieren des funktionsverhalten des jeweils verbauten ART-Steuergeräts (In English Type of Distronic: two box early model, or one box late model)
F3 Two box

Anything i am missing to get rid of that ESP error ??

Regards Per

·
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
ESP error is typically because ME is not coded properly...

I dont remember the exact details, but you didn't need to go in that depth into the developer mode lines.

If I am not mistaken, all modules are programed via initialization mode, to add the option.

Also, very important, the engine needs to be running and idling, for ME programming modification to stick and commit.

I might do a video on retrofitting the DTR as far as the coding.

Changing speed limit is not in the options you posted. Please see my video on how to raise the speed limit

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bayhas, Thanks for your answer

Not quite sure i understand what you mean by "initialization mode" can you explain that ?

All coding on the Me was done with running engine

Changing speed limit is not possible on SL500's only 55's and up.

The reason i asked about changing the engine version coding from option 4 to 3 above.
is that 3 contains "ART" (Distronic) in the text string,
mine is coded as 4 which contains a "VGB" and so far nobody knows what "VGB" is !

Read somewhere that option coding can be problematic on very early R230's (Like mine) which uses the EZS as Central gateway.

Regards from Denmark....
Per

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
bayhas,

really hopeful you can help.

I had the intention of adding Distronic to my W209. I got almost all of the parts, but then everything got bogged down with the silliest thing, nobody could help me find part number for the bracket:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-clk-class/1986201-w209-distronic-retrofit-project-game.html

So all of the parts are in a box in the closet. I have a wonderful STAR unit that works well, just need that last part number to get the bracket.

I was told 2096202772

But that is $222 and that seems like a lot for a metal bar.

And did I get the wrong sensor? Maybe I needed the all-in-one?

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
I need to bump this old post because with the availability of many W220's now being written off and wrecked, there are plenty of second hand Distronic Units available, so I took the plunge and ordered the parts needed.

While waiting for them to arrive I have been double checking the coding/adaptation procedure which of course is not well documented so I have many questions.

BTW I know about retrofitting Distronic to post 2004-06-01 cars which need SCN coding. My car is just pre 2004-05-31 so can be coded via an offline SDS, hence this research.

At post #46 BenzWorld member peppe1973 summarised the steps needed to code/adapt Distronic (DTR) to W220 control units.
In summary;
ADDING DTR TO EZS(ZGW) 1
ADDING DTR TO EZS(ZGW) 2
UNLOCK ME 2,8 SFI FOR PROGRAMMING
ADDING DTR TO ME 2,8 SFI
ADDING DTR TO INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
RESET DTR MODULE
ADDING DTR TO LOWER CONTROL PANEL (LCP)

My query is re ADDING DTR TO LOWER CONTROL PANEL (LCP). I cannot find a LCP control unit. Surely this must be the Upper Control Panel?

According to another reference Adaptation Coding of DTR with SDS is required on ME, EZS/ZGW, DTR, KI, EGS/VSG.

The WIS document GF30.30-P-0002-02K Distronic (DTR) input and output signals shows Distronic control module N63/1 connected directly to;
• B29 Distronic radar sensor (DTR)
• K40/7 Right front fuse and relay module (terminal 87 voltage supply)
• X11/4 Data link connector
It is connected via the CAN-C engine compartment bus to the following;
• A1 Instrument cluster (ICM)
• N80 Steering column module (SCM-MRM)
• N73 Electronic ignition switch (EZS/ZGW) control unit
• N15/3 Electronic transmission control (ETC) control unit
• N3/10 Engine management control ME-SFI(ME) control unit
• N47-5 Electronic Stability Program (ESP), Speed Sensitive Power Steering (SPS), Brake Assist (BAS) control units
It is connected to the CAN-B interior bus via gateway N73 which communicates to;
• N72/1 Upper control panel (UCP) control unit and then the S46/8 Switch Block in centre console.
• N10/8 Rear SAM control unit (REAR SAM)
• N28/1 Trailer recognition control unit (special equipment)

My second query is; I cannot find any reference in WIS or elsewhere to W220 control units KI, or EGS/VSG and they do not appear in peppe1973’s list either, so what gives?

Any help much appreciated, Brian

·
Registered
12 Posts
Regarding query 1, yes, the "lower control panel" is really in the upper control panel unit on my 2001 S600. When the potentiometer was not attached, the upper control panel registered an error code about the value from it being impossible.

For query 2, I did not need to touch KI, EGS, etc. I did need to touch ME in two different places, outlined in this post and video:
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/2736970-distronic-scn-coding.html#post17539363

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Sorry to bump this post again and thanks to busterbcook for the last reply. I am still working on my project to retrofit a DTR to my 2003 update W220 S500L.

I might do a video on retrofitting the DTR as far as the coding.
Did bahas ever make a video?

I could really do with some help as I still have several issues re coding. See https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/2993203-retrofitting-distronic-4.html

I was under the impression that I do not need SCN coding which was introduced from 1st June 2004, but I am getting ESP, BAS and Presave errors on the ICM.

If you SDS experts would post any suggestions at the above link it will be much appreciated.

TIA Brian
PS Just rewatched busterbcook's video again and noticed the need to quote download all the adaptation data ... and update the ME ecm endquote. I have never been game to do anything like this. Will someone please explain the steps reuired to update the ecu?

41 - 52 of 52 Posts