Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing my Christmas present, my Distronic parts for another fun OEM retrofit...

Very nice system on the highway, despite it leaves you wanting more from it, specially when the car in front of you slows down at high deceleration rate/slams on the brake, Distronic cowards out, and instead of slowing you down with more than 20% of the brake torque, it beeps, as if its saying "its your problem now... DEAL WITH IT", (thus they probably came up with Distronic+), I ll make sure my next SL (R231 will have it).

Also, I am thinking maybe my DTR should work a tad better, once I get the head aligned tomorrow with the dealer tool, it will read the traffic more accurately, and find itself in less cases of cars ahead suddenly closing in too quickly...

Anyway, enough with the rant, my question to those with the system already in their cars, does the tracing distance knob in the center console light up?

I am talking about the middle element, in the left button cluster, in the center console; the top and bottom cars figures on that element do light up, but the knob itself is not lit, unlike the vent knobs in the top of the dash for example...

my question, is this by design? or did I get a defective button cluster?

·
Registered
479 Posts
do you mean light up at night with lights on or when in use?

ive only used my distronic about twice as not the biggest fan...........but pretty sure it does not light up..........let me know which and ill check it out for you

·
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am talking about this knob

This is how it looks like in the dark, the frame around it is lit up, but the knob itself is dark..

I am wondering if the knob should light up like the AC ones...

·
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet!

One less thing for me to worry about...

Thanks again...

·
Registered
648 Posts
This is very cool. I was/am under the impression that retro fitting Distronic is a complicated process. Can you give some details on what is involved both in parts and labor? I would also like to ask how much money you had to invest in something like this?

·
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's fairly straight forward...

You need (front to rear):

- Grill
- Sensor
- Mounting kit
- Wiring harness
- Control module (2004 and earlier only)
- Mounting screw set (2004 and earlier only)
- Switch block
- SDS scanner (to code and program the system)
- About 3 hours of install time, and another for programing.
- Dealer 4wheel with Distronic alignment job (the dealer must have the Distronic alignment thingy majigger
- Dealer service advisor, or foreman, who is confident enough to code 209 to the car data card, so potential future service/flashing does not disable Distronic in the hands of unsuspecting mechanic...

cost depends on your hunting skills, for brand new components, you're looking at roughly 5000 dollars, I did mine for $720 with some hunting and dealer discounts.

Anything in between is the good cost... the more you save, the better you are...

I ll post about this in details.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Thanks. As much detail as you have would be great. If you have any part numbers that would be a great help as well. Where did you source the various parts so you arrived at $750? That is a great price.

You mention an SDS scanner, would you net be able to do it with DAS?

·
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DAS and Xentry are the software

SDS is the hardware

·
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since you have a 2007, the wiring bundle you need is 230 540 74 05

Any distronic grill with 3 fins will do

Any distronic sensor (proximity cruise control) that starts with 230 540 xx xx will do

Switch block is 230 905 01 00 7167

Bolt kit is correct 001 540 63 17

the 140 bolts are not needed.

·
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There article is good, contains some uncertainty that I will contact the author to clear, but here is some further explanation on the harness, and how to fish it and connect it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Did you get the dealer to code the datacard for the car? How much did they charge you for that including the sensor alignment?

·
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not yet, I will next time I am in there...

for the time being, working on this during Christmas vacation time, I used some precision tools, levels, laser, and bubbles... I got pitch and roll right, but yaw is probably still a tad off to the right... as its impossible to set without alignment rack and special tool...

I dont pay retail, so my numbers cannot be used as reference...

·
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 52 Posts