Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
W220- 2000 S320 German Import | W221 2008 S350 German |
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Early this morning (8am southern africa time) I took my S350 out for some spirited driving. I went out about 80km on a windy road and coming back I had my distronic set to 160km/h :) The car was handling superbly until I came through an S bend and right after the last portion of the curve I could see some movement. My distronic had a panic attack, flashed the red warning light and started beeping...I felt the full breaking force provided by distronic. On the speedometer I saw my speed range indicator go all the way to 20km/h. This condition lasted about three or so seconds and then the warning went away and all resumed as usual with the car accelerating back to 160 as I drove by I noticed it was a cyclist. It happened a second time with my distronic set at 100km/h. Is it usual for distronic to pick up cyclists? I am curious. Granted the cyclist should not have been riding in a main road but to me this was a great warning with regards to the cyclist and it gave me time to think with a clear mind as to how I wanted to avoid him (or her)

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,428 Posts
Of course it is supposed to pick up a cyclist. Or do you usually run over them in South Africa or the US? :eek: But I find it odd if you can find a cyclist on a road that you drive 160, probably speeding? ;)

We have cyclists on roads (not on the lane but close to) on roads where 100 km/h is allowed. You have to leave a good space for the cyclist in order to avoid Distronic intervening. If the road is binding, you might be better switching Disctronic off.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the limit was 120km/h and I am currently in SA right now...will not be back in the US for a while. Cyclists are pretty much allowed to go anywhere they want really, no laws like in the US about riding a bicycle on the interstate. The cyclist was riding in the road, over the 'yellow line' I think the S bend got me the first time and the second time well i probably could have turned off distronic. I have gotten so used to using it, that most places I go now I have it on. Was just shocked that it picks up cyclists, would have thought the footprint was too small... now all we need is distronic that jams police radar :)

That said, distronic has to be the best thing I added on my spec sheet, it really does wonders once you start to trust that it will slow down in time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I to have noticed that Distronic seems to have an exaggerated reaction to cyclists on the side of the road. Not complaining, just seems that there is some programming that kicks in. Pedestrians don't get nearly the attention. Must be the metal frame of the bike.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I to have noticed that Distronic seems to have an exaggerated reaction to cyclists on the side of the road. Not complaining, just seems that there is some programming that kicks in. Pedestrians don't get nearly the attention. Must be the metal frame of the bike.
Well pretty curious about my new discovery, I took the 350 out again this afternoon for a little afternoon drive, I tried to pick roads with lots of activity and cyclists. My conclusion, the cyclist thing actually is not exactly too bad once you know it can happen, its just the first time it happens if you are un aware its a little discomforting and the owners manual makes no mention.. because the car thinks that you wont stop in time and every time it freaks out. It would be nice if Distronic had different detection settings like cyclist, motorcycle and cars. That way at least you could tell it to ignore the cyclist.

Still I am not complaining either:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts