Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 MB
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Distillation is the boiling of water and getting h20 out of the steam. Is rain water considered distilled h2o ? :bowdown:

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,019 Posts
hmm, my initial reaction would be that i wouldn't think so. given envionmental
realities, depending on where you live and the industries surrounding, it would
not take much of a stretch to think that rain can be easily contaminated with
impurities, acid, particulates, etc.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Plus one, rain is almost never pure H2O...

·
Registered
02 e320
89 Posts
If you have a non-self defrosting refrigerator or freezer, the frost is the same as distilled water as is the water from a dehumidifier.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Please note bottled distilled water is both distilled and filtered, whereas refridgerator/dehumidifier water is condensation and unfiltered.

The reason behind "distilled" water in coolant is to assure the water it is both ph neutral and free from dissolved minerals/solids.

Not-so-much a problem at all in North America, whereas in Middle East, African, and Asia tap water ph can be really-really whacked out, and dissolved mineral content can be very-very high, both dependent on area, and yet still be be considered "tap" water for that area. Ask the Aussie's or Saudi's who have to replace thermostats and even replace radiators at a rate that would be unacceptable in North America.

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
RO filtered water is almost as good, and I substitute it for distilled water if necessary; we have a RO filter that supplies a drinking water tap on the sink, the ice maker, and the furnace humidifier.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Frost condensate is one thing, but water from a dehumidifier is not potable because it carries pollutants and contaminants from the air. The same things that make it not potable mitigate its use in batteries and the cooling system.

Distilled water is cheap, a gallon every few years for coolant and battery, why all the fuss? Don't buy a cup of coffee one day out of three years and that buys 2 gallons of distilled water -- and that's if you don't get a foo-foo drink. ;)

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
2002 E430 4-Matic
1,332 Posts
Yikes - don't drink the de-humidifier/air conditioning water. It is probably the dirtest water in the house including the dogs bowl. Think fungus, spores, dust mites, bacteria, and legionnaires disease.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Ditto to some of the others. MB says to use potable water as a diluent for their antifreeze. A tech told me to use distilled and that's what he did. I have never added anything to my battery, but hopefully the guy added distilled on the last B service.

·
Registered
'98 E320 Wagon (non 4matic)
6,663 Posts
If you have any questions as to whether or not Rain water is distilled, take a sip and see if you taste anything. Not too big of a sip, you don't want to get sick now.

·
Registered
E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
1,906 Posts
RO filtered water is almost as good, and I substitute it for distilled water if necessary; we have a RO filter that supplies a drinking water tap on the sink, the ice maker, and the furnace humidifier.
RO water is as good as it gets, only one thing to check before you use it in your cooling system. In the RO process the PH of the product water will be reduced. PH is an indicator of the acid or alkaline condition of water. The pH scale ranges from 0-14; 7 indicates the theoretical neutral point. Water with a pH value less than 7 indicates acidity and tends to be corrosive water.
So get your test strips and neutralize your coolant water with soda before you mix it with coolant. And never go stronger than 50/50 antifreeze / water mix.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts