Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which is best? just using plain distilled water or distilled water "plus" an original MB coolant with anti-freeze? they say that using coolants has pros and cons. some say that when you use coolants, the tendency is that, it can solidify in the radiator and cause some sort of blockage hence diminishing water flow thereby increasing the working engine temp. however coolants were designed to protect the radiator from rusts and corrosion. Some people say, "just use distilled water and you're good to go". the only downside in using plain distilled water is that the radiator easily heats up and even reaches a hundred degrees C. which is which guys?

·
Registered
1993 300E 2.8
27 Posts
I would vote for distilled water plus MB coolant in a 50/50 mix. The anti-corrosion properties of the MB coolant are well documented, but don't forget that the BM coolant also has a lubricating function which is easier on your waterpump. The thing to remember is to make sure and change the coolant every 2 years, and flush the system whenever you do. Best of luck!
Will

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
A lot of your post doesn't make sense to me.

For starters, coolant is a mix of antifreeze and water.

Ford has paid me good money to study the damage people have done to their engines by running pure water in the cooling systems. You're implying that there is something wrong with using antifreeze in your cooling system. Just the opposite is true. Using just water is not good for a number of reasons. Namely, water freezes at 32°F, boils at 212°F, and can corrode the cooling system.

A proper 50-50 mix will freeze at -25°F, boil at a temperature higher than 212 (250°F?), and has corrosion-inhibiting properties. The boiling protection balances out any loss in thermal transfer properties from this mix because there's not a lot of thermal transfer when water starts boiling. In other words, boiling is bad for the cooling system. So why would you consider using just water in your cooling system?

If you're talking coolant for top-off, replenish with a 50-50 mix. Use pure water only in emergencies. And yes, use distilled water whenever possible.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I researched this subject high and low. There are many opinions on this subject and I say this to you...
Why not buy Mercedes original Antifreeze (as opposed to some other cheaper products that have harmful silicates and such) and some distilled water when it is only a couple dollars more. So the whole thing costs you $10 more and if it doesn't do you any good, it definitely won't do you any harm. I used the following products when I did my last change:

Red Line Watter Watter $10.49 from Canadian Tire
Prestone Super Flush $3.99 from Canadian Tire (instead of MB Citric Acid $24.00)
Distilled Water $2.97 from Wal Mart

Mercedes Benz Thermostat $23.04 - preventative maintenance

Mercedes Benz Antifreeze Yellow/Orange

*All prices in Canadian dollars.

When I did the flush with the Prestone cleaner, my coolant came out clean - I was happy about that. It wasn't really necessary to do it, but I didn't mind. I flushed the entire system with water and the cleaner and then once again with just water and finally with filled up with a 50/50 mix of MB antifeeze and distilled water.

·
Registered
61 Posts
By the way, I encountered a problem a while ago with my cooling system. Thought I'd share. I actually had a coolant explosion and I thought I was going to have to buy a new radiator. For some of you out there, you may have encountered this problem:

The neck breaks and you need a new radiator.

As fortune would have it, I only needed a small part. Here is the part and what happened to mine:

The removal and replacement:

New Part #:

New Part:

Old part and new part - side by side: lower one is broken

I used the Vise grips to remove the fitting:

The new fitting slides in smooth and fits like a glove:

Ready to be put back in the radiator top:

Good as new:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts