Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my right rear window refused to close. It seems that it fell inside the door out of its place. I can hear the motor working but no lift. I remember 2 years ago seeing a DIY on how to take out the door panel. Anyone knows where to find this link?

W140 S 1996

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1996 S320 (Kuro) 1998 S600 (Weiss)
2,886 Posts
Don't know the link - but off the top of my head; there is a screw cover inside the arm rest - remove that and take out the screw, the small wooden panel on the door needs to come off (it has no bolts just a small clip behind it so you can just pry it off - be careful not to damage the finish), you'll find 2 bolt's in there - remove them. There is a also a screw where the door lock mechanism is (you'll need to remove that and the plastic part it's securing) then around the bottom and sides of the panel there are plastic clips securing it to the door frame, pull the panel away from the door slightly and 'feel' the location of the plastic clips - then putting a hand either side of a clip, pull the panel away from the door (you'll hear the snapping sound of it coming out of it's hole). Once you can freely pull the bottom and sides of the panel away from the door - you'll need to use a little force to push it straight 'up' as it rest's in a groove along-side the window.

The cables for the electric windows etc aren't very long so don't move the panel too far away from the door - once it's free you'll need to reach behind the panel and unplug them all.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is there something similar to get at the back window of the coupe?

My S600 SEC has the problem, stuck at the "front door opening and closing" postion.

Would be thrilled just to get it up and leave it up in position.A lot of wind noise and tough to wash!!!

Thanks CK

·
Premium Member
1996 S320 (Kuro) 1998 S600 (Weiss)
2,886 Posts

·
Registered
'93 300 SE
14 Posts
i have a 1993 300 SE and the pictures of the rear doors in both the PDF's and the provided links don't look like my doors. I do not have a map compartment in the rear doors, and i do not have a screw above the latch guard to remove.
I suspect there is some screw inside the armrest, but am unsure how to get to it.

any ideas why my doors are different, and how to get inside the armrest?

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,641 Posts
i have a 1993 300 SE and the pictures of the rear doors in both the PDF's and the provided links don't look like my doors. I do not have a map compartment in the rear doors, and i do not have a screw above the latch guard to remove.
I suspect there is some screw inside the armrest, but am unsure how to get to it.

any ideas why my doors are different, and how to get inside the armrest?
Going by the year model it is a w140 that you have , maybe a late 93 that has the rear updated doors in it if so check underneat the armrest for 2 holes ,if there are then there are 2 philips head screws in there,are you sure it dosnt open like flip to the side,if it does there are 2 small black dots in it that you remove with a simple finger nail klipper or small screwdriver (very smal) behind that you find the 2 screws that hold the armrest,another one ,bigger screw ,is found on the inner side of the armrest,near the window lift button's & armrest handle .
Check the pdf below ,even that it is for the front door of a later model 140 ,the rear is almost the same procedure,i dont have the rear door pdf for the later model 140's .

Attachments

·
Registered
94 s420 250kmiles
827 Posts
93 swb should be 2 10mm bolts and 3 phillips screws, you need to use a small pick to pry the plastic covers off he screws inside the cubby.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts