Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - some clown has opened their door onto my SLK - it looks like there may be a sporting chance of pushing the dent out - thing is how does the door come apart all suggestions welcome...
Gunddy

·
Registered
858 Posts
:confused:Chances of pushing the dent out from inside the door with acceptable appearance is slim. I'd get a professional to do the job. Sorry for the damage to your car.

·
Registered
966 Posts
-1- is correct. in the states we have paintless dent repair/removal. cost is based on the size of the ding. these guys are amazing.

·
Registered
104 Posts
DIY if you want to try

I have heard good things about this product, but without knowing how bad the dent is it's hard to tell if it would work for you.

http://www.dingking.tv/?source=gg&s_kwcid=car%20dent|746654539&gclid=CMmOwo24vJECFQRvHgoddBGpyQ

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Although I haven't opened the SLK door panel yet, normally they have plastic fasteners at the bottom and a hook rail at the top. You need a trim tool to open the bottom first. The armrest may have three to four hidden screws that you need to find the caps first. Almost all modern doors are made this way.

With that said, using a dent removal service is the best. They can do this without opening the door panel. Removing the trim panel may cause minor rattles etc.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I recently had PDR done on my passenger car door. My passenger had opened the car door all the way and didn't realise there was a metal bench next to the door. Sharp dent results :( Got the PDR guy to come out to have a look at it, and he said from the start that he could minimise the dent, but because metal stretches, it won't be 100%. Fair enough.

He undid some screws on the metal cover just below the door lock pins and just stuck a metal pole in through there and got the dent out that way. Now, there's just a small dint where the dent was, which is not that noticeable unless u look for it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for advice - I thought what the heck and booked it in but Pulp fiction comes to mind...
"VINCENT
I just wish I caught 'em doin' it, ya know? Oh man, I'd give anything to catch 'em doin' it. It' a been worth him doin' it, if I coulda just caught 'em, you know what I mean?..."
Gunndy

·
Registered
24 Posts
For those who live in SF, if unfortunate dents happen to you, there's a guy who works in BMW of San Francisco's parking lot who does what I consider pure magic. (He said the arrangement is that he does it for all BMW new vehicles for free as sometimes they arrive with dents, and in exchange, BMW lets him use the lot.) I had an Audi with a huge dent from a big SUV's sharp door angle, and after PDR, I couldn't find a trace of it. Make sure you go to a PDR technician that's good - as it's really all in the skill of the technician. This guy at BMW SF worked on the dent for about 45 minutes, and with all these reflection-mirror tools, etc. to make sure it's perfect from all angle. He also sprayed on little bit of water to see the flow, etc. It really was amazing to watch the dent disappear completely. The car was as good as brand new after PDR.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts