Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

(tl;dr at bottom)

Been lurking, banging my head against the desk and many other things to do with a 1997 C240. So long story short, I'm planning on picking up a C240 from someone I know, problem is the car hasn't run in about a year or two and has been laying in a garage.

I've taken it to a garage to get it started up recently, even purchased a new, correct spec battery for it, but the damn thing won't crank.

Now before we get to troubleshooting or such, I'm going to say this car has most likely been scavenged for spares/parts and had stuff swapped out and replaced, FOR SURE. Leaving any vehicle at a garage in this place (Middle East) is going to guarantee that to happen if you don't collect or the car lays for longer than a few months, sometimes quickly. I just wanted some community feedback if anyone can help me know what I'm looking for in the car and such. If anyone wants me to take photos of anything specific so they can see and compare, I'll gladly cooperate and do that.

Here's some examples:
  • The 240's got the newer 3 button key (but a chrome version as opposed to the simple, all plastic old 3 button key in black.
  • The rear view mirror on the windshield has NO red/green LED's as I've read about on the forums whilst trying to diagnose the car not cranking or anything.
  • OBD Port (circle type under the hood, passenger side) is not working, cannot get anything read at all whatsoever.
  • The key won't unlock the car (currently arguing with the old man that him pulling the handle is just budging and unlocking it somehow as used to happen in my E36 but the remote won't unlock/lock the car [most likely why it won't crank]). Unlocking using a metal key.
I just wanted to know, what DOES a 1997 C240 look like..? I've Google'd for the mirrors but my old man argues that this is the 'new type' mirror but he himself also doesn't know. I just wanted to know if someone with a C240 could give certain photos like of the Fusebox diagram/numbering (tried finding it on the net, it's like the information doesn't exist but I've got something but I'm unsure if it's accurate), photos of what their key thing looks like, what their windshield/roof mounted rear view mirror looks like, and such so I can see if this car is worth trying to even fix or just give up on.

The thing is, I've fallen for the car and absolutely love it, I've spend at least a week or two of continuous research and seeing what to fix and what not, but just no avail. I have an E36, 318i 1997 that I've found almost every single thing for it on the internet (EG, Bentley Manual, information, diagrams, etc) and it's like MB's are top secret things. From having blown a fuse and immobilized my E36, I'm taking a wild assumption that the immobilizer is what's preventing the C240 from cranking or doing anything at all. I'm good with cars, having restored my E36 from scrap to running condition from power steering pumps, to head gaskets, fuel pumps, etc, and I've worked on multiple cars, so in that sense, I have the basics and can do a lot of things asked if needed but I have zero knowledge on the W202 line...

Cheers and thanks in advance,
Rick

tl;dr
- Found a 1997 C240, planning on buying it, won't crank, looks scavenged and had things swapped out from laying in a garage for too long. Need advice/photos of what should be inside a 1997+ (1998+ Preferably) W202 car that's close to a C240's specs to identify what's been tampered/messed with. Will take photos if someone requests photos of specific things.

PS @ khomer2 - your w202 99 C230K seems close to what mine does.. ;)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
List some wide view pics and we will tell you.

I say walk away.

If the car has been abandoned and you don't know what's been scavenged you are better off buying this car as a parts car. Unless you want the headache and take it on as a long term project. Make sure you get it for a good price like free or peanuts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi MB-W202,

I don't think it's been scavenged as much as you think but I mean I'm having a feeling an ECU or etc might have been swapped out or etc, or you know, take whatever little thing you can must have happened here and there.

Anything I should specifically take photos of?

I'm planning on removing a bit of the interior to take a look at the immobilizer and etc and see what's up. We're being suggested to find a matching ECU/Computer and see if it manages to get the car to crank but I'm going off topic.

I mean it looks good and the car is relatively clean in the sense of it's care and such, it's had a respectable owner but yeah..

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Hi all,

(tl;dr at bottom)

Been lurking, banging my head against the desk and many other things to do with a 1997 C240. So long story short, I'm planning on picking up a C240 from someone I know, problem is the car hasn't run in about a year or two and has been laying in a garage.

I've taken it to a garage to get it started up recently, even purchased a new, correct spec battery for it, but the damn thing won't crank.

Now before we get to troubleshooting or such, I'm going to say this car has most likely been scavenged for spares/parts and had stuff swapped out and replaced, FOR SURE. Leaving any vehicle at a garage in this place (Middle East) is going to guarantee that to happen if you don't collect or the car lays for longer than a few months, sometimes quickly. I just wanted some community feedback if anyone can help me know what I'm looking for in the car and such. If anyone wants me to take photos of anything specific so they can see and compare, I'll gladly cooperate and do that.

Here's some examples:
  • The 240's got the newer 3 button key (but a chrome version as opposed to the simple, all plastic old 3 button key in black.
  • The rear view mirror on the windshield has NO red/green LED's as I've read about on the forums whilst trying to diagnose the car not cranking or anything.
  • OBD Port (circle type under the hood, passenger side) is not working, cannot get anything read at all whatsoever.
  • The key won't unlock the car (currently arguing with the old man that him pulling the handle is just budging and unlocking it somehow as used to happen in my E36 but the remote won't unlock/lock the car [most likely why it won't crank]). Unlocking using a metal key.
I just wanted to know, what DOES a 1997 C240 look like..? I've Google'd for the mirrors but my old man argues that this is the 'new type' mirror but he himself also doesn't know. I just wanted to know if someone with a C240 could give certain photos like of the Fusebox diagram/numbering (tried finding it on the net, it's like the information doesn't exist but I've got something but I'm unsure if it's accurate), photos of what their key thing looks like, what their windshield/roof mounted rear view mirror looks like, and such so I can see if this car is worth trying to even fix or just give up on.

The thing is, I've fallen for the car and absolutely love it, I've spend at least a week or two of continuous research and seeing what to fix and what not, but just no avail. I have an E36, 318i 1997 that I've found almost every single thing for it on the internet (EG, Bentley Manual, information, diagrams, etc) and it's like MB's are top secret things. From having blown a fuse and immobilized my E36, I'm taking a wild assumption that the immobilizer is what's preventing the C240 from cranking or doing anything at all. I'm good with cars, having restored my E36 from scrap to running condition from power steering pumps, to head gaskets, fuel pumps, etc, and I've worked on multiple cars, so in that sense, I have the basics and can do a lot of things asked if needed but I have zero knowledge on the W202 line...

Cheers and thanks in advance,
Rick

tl;dr
- Found a 1997 C240, planning on buying it, won't crank, looks scavenged and had things swapped out from laying in a garage for too long. Need advice/photos of what should be inside a 1997+ (1998+ Preferably) W202 car that's close to a C240's specs to identify what's been tampered/messed with. Will take photos if someone requests photos of specific things.

PS @ khomer2 - your w202 99 C230K seems close to what mine does.. ;)
vin# ?

our 99 w202 does not have the blinking red/green leds on the rear view mirror.

You've tested both ports? (under the steering column too?)
What scanner are you using ? Also, note, not ALL 38pin obd adapters will work under the hood. Most will not so you need one that works. (example)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WDB2020261F643505

The more you know... I thought all W202's needed it, guess I was wrong and the old man was right (in regards to the rear view mirror).

As for the OBD port near the steering..

Uh, whoops. I assumed it didn't have one having quickly read through and seen stuff about the hood one, and thought that would have been better (the round one) and never actually tried the OBD II by the steering column.. I also mostly assumed that since my '97 E36 didn't have an OBD II port...

I used some large screen, mechanic Equipment that had a serial cable with an adapter and stuff, pretty sure it's more of the expensive kind but could be wrong. Either that or their Computer/Checker was just not working itself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd walk away from it. A nice 202 doesn't cost that much these days. I'm not sure of the availability of them where you are but there are still plenty of nice ones for sale where I am. Spend a bit more and forget the headache of getting it going. When you don't know the history of a car you could be chasing problems for a long time. The car not starting could be as simple as flat batteries in the key, also may be why it won't unlock the car. They key has 2 batteries in it (2025s). Could also be the electronic ignition switch and any other myriad things. I picked up a very nice 1999 C240 wagon last month. A one owner car for 2K last month so I'd look for another one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scavanged might have been a bad word to use, my point being that it was at a garage long enough for people to have been able to swap out things like the ECU and etc; actually the car has everything except the battery in it (but now it does having had us bought one to test and try to start it that time).

Literally everything in the car and everything's there, just can't get it to crank. It very well could be a low battery but that doesn't explain why 1) it doesn't crank along with the following: 2) OBD Port not working (under the hood), 3) Window controls from inside not working at all despite all the fuses being fine from what I checked last.

@khomer2 - Couldn't find the OBD Port under the steering column or there at all. It's a Jap spec car so might not have it like the US Spec ones that do. Anywhere specific to look?

Tried looking at the footwell of the passenger side to find and check if I can bypass the Immobilizer to see if that's the issue (with the key and all) leading to it not starting, but couldn't find the immobilizer..? I've seen the bypass video but have no idea where that guy pulled out the thing from despite me having looked in the same place...

And don't worry, the transmission module is here, in the passenger footwell side, so that's alright in case anyone asks.

PS the car was in absolute perfect condition inside out but wouldn't start, until we took it to the garage and they opened up everything to help find/look for the modules and what not, so technically speaking, everything was there.

If I get this running, it'll be a good ride, yes despite it having it's flaws and problems since I'd be getting it for cheap.

Currently it comes with this key:

And this system:

And the garage guy wants to argue that it's modified and that this 1997 W202 doesn't come with such a key (even the old black one on the manual) but that's what you get for sending the car to someone who doesn't know what they're talking about (not us, the person who had given it to the garage).

Also comes with the other key.

Any ideas what all I'll need to do to test and get the car running up? If I recall correctly, all the fuses are working. Relays? Not sure about those but will have to check those. Any other things I can check or so? PS if anyone can suggest tips for how to find my fuse diagram, that would be great since 1) the diagram/table is not under the fusebox cover and 2) I can't seem to find anything for W202's out in the internet unlike the E36 where I got nearly everything including a Bentley manual. Tried searching the fusebox number 208 545 00 40, but no avail. Also checked the car for an alarm module (as I've read up on, but found none of that either).

@SydneyW202 - Yeah, nah. Tried searching online at the moment, no decent 240's, only a 200 which doesn't tickle my fancy, if anything, I'd pick up an E46 Coupe.

I'm going to be taking this remote module, remote and ECU to a key checking/fixing place where they specialize in this stuff to test if the remote isn't clearing the Immobilizer or whatnot, other than that, any ideas what I'll need to take or such from experience? Most W202 posters and people who've done a lot of the DIY work and etc are pretty much inactive and it's somewhat a dead child board of the forum other than the extremely few people that are still here (on the W202 board).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@khomer2 - VIN's already there above, as for the one under the hood, tried it didn't work/had no power going to it. What are you trying to find/etc? Cause I can also search my VIN, if you can tell me what to find, I can do it myself rather than burden you with that task. :)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
@khomer2 - VIN's already there above, as for the one under the hood, tried it didn't work/had no power going to it. What are you trying to find/etc? Cause I can also search my VIN, if you can tell me what to find, I can do it myself rather than burden you with that task. :)
Sorry, Didnt realize I had already asked for it. That's what happens when one tries to multi-task too much.

Nothing in particular, wanted to see compare the system to our 99 w202 and see if anything massages my thoughts.
Have you checked ALL the fuse boxes? 3 in total I believe. 2 under the hood, 1 in the trunk.

EDIT: check under the accelerator pedal for an odb2 port (16pin)
EDIT2: mind is getting less foggy (after a night cap) - OVP Relay - have you checked that? You need power to the diagnostic module.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi @khomer2,

All good, no worries. My main concern was not to bug/irritate/become a burden to you is all. :)

That's why I asked earlier if there are any particular photos that people wanted me to upload; thing is I can't visit the garage daily and always so I have to plan a time in advance to go there to be able to do/see anything. If you can tell me what photo's you'd like so you can compare just let me know.

PS - Would you mind sending me a photo of your fusebox diagram? My car doesn't have one under the hood so I just want something for reference as I couldn't find anything on the internet; would verify by checking the fuse corresponds to something like pulling out a headlight fuse or something.

All the fuseboxes? Maybe not, but again haven't had enough time to do so myself and the weather is terrible here in the Desert at the moment. Will definitely do so next time I get to visit.

Under the accelerator? Do you mind sending a photo showing where yours is located? Would this be on the dashboard like material/plastic or something else like the footwell (doubt anyone would put a port on the footwell)?

Nope haven't checked the OVP Relay, though a Google search shows some 2 big cables connected together and a separate marked red cable (fuel pump question thread) and that's alright but I will definitely check the above next time I get to go.

Only had it been winters and the car was at my house, could I constantly Google things, run up and down or even take the laptop to the car and work/check stuff..

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Hi @khomer2,

All good, no worries. My main concern was not to bug/irritate/become a burden to you is all. :)

That's why I asked earlier if there are any particular photos that people wanted me to upload; thing is I can't visit the garage daily and always so I have to plan a time in advance to go there to be able to do/see anything. If you can tell me what photo's you'd like so you can compare just let me know.

PS - Would you mind sending me a photo of your fusebox diagram? My car doesn't have one under the hood so I just want something for reference as I couldn't find anything on the internet; would verify by checking the fuse corresponds to something like pulling out a headlight fuse or something.

All the fuseboxes? Maybe not, but again haven't had enough time to do so myself and the weather is terrible here in the Desert at the moment. Will definitely do so next time I get to visit.

Under the accelerator? Do you mind sending a photo showing where yours is located? Would this be on the dashboard like material/plastic or something else like the footwell (doubt anyone would put a port on the footwell)?

Nope haven't checked the OVP Relay, though a Google search shows some 2 big cables connected together and a separate marked red cable (fuel pump question thread) and that's alright but I will definitely check the above next time I get to go.

Only had it been winters and the car was at my house, could I constantly Google things, run up and down or even take the laptop to the car and work/check stuff..
There's no burden, we are all here to help (so long as you can help yourself too) ;)

Photo 2018-08-19, 12 45 45 PM under hood.jpg Photo 2018-08-19, 12 44 28 PM trunk.jpg

It's pissing cats and dogs today so no photos, but here is a generic photo of the obd2 connector location:

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 12.06.32 PM.png

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi @khomer2,

Thanks a million for the images, very much appreciated. What I have noticed, is your Fusebox diagram number beings with 202, whereas my Fusebox number beings with 208... Here's my Fusebox number: 208 545 00 40.

Which I find highly strange/odd, given that when searching up my number, I find a 1998 C43 model listing on E-bay...

As for the OBD Port; definitely DO NOT have that anywhere in any such location, safe to say mine doesn't have the Trapezium shaped OBD port. I'm familiar with an OBD port having used them in my dad Colorado, in a Camry, 350z, and so forth but I can assure you I don't have one; that or I'm just blind and have to look all over the driver side to find it.

I'll be taking the key and that boxy ignition thingymabob to a specialized person tomorrow or someday within the week to test and see if this is the culprit of my ignition problems, if not or so, I either way have to go and test and check all the fuses and relays you've suggested since I've only tested the hood and boot ones.

Wonder where my immobilizer is? I've checked the passenger foot panel but only found my Transmission computer.. Perhaps it's further up or something? Really wish the weather was good and the car was home cause again, could just do so much myself in my spare time.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Hi @khomer2,

Thanks a million for the images, very much appreciated. What I have noticed, is your Fusebox diagram number beings with 202, whereas my Fusebox number beings with 208... Here's my Fusebox number: 208 545 00 40.

Which I find highly strange/odd, given that when searching up my number, I find a 1998 C43 model listing on E-bay...

As for the OBD Port; definitely DO NOT have that anywhere in any such location, safe to say mine doesn't have the Trapezium shaped OBD port. I'm familiar with an OBD port having used them in my dad Colorado, in a Camry, 350z, and so forth but I can assure you I don't have one; that or I'm just blind and have to look all over the driver side to find it.

I'll be taking the key and that boxy ignition thingymabob to a specialized person tomorrow or someday within the week to test and see if this is the culprit of my ignition problems, if not or so, I either way have to go and test and check all the fuses and relays you've suggested since I've only tested the hood and boot ones.

Wonder where my immobilizer is? I've checked the passenger foot panel but only found my Transmission computer.. Perhaps it's further up or something? Really wish the weather was good and the car was home cause again, could just do so much myself in my spare time.

Cheers

Dont rely on ebay listings as a reference. It could very well be a part used in multiple models.
But in general, Fleabay sellers are notorious for mis-information when listing part #s, etc. and even then, they add there 'get-out-of-jail card' clause - buyers are expected to do their own due diligence or verify with the seller.

LHD or RHD?

·
Registered
350 Posts
A 208 or 210 part number is not unusual for the later W202. Just ordered some rear suspension bushes and the original part is now superseded and begins with 220 (S-Class).

I've had a read of the thread and I'm a bit confused. Ideally it would be great if you just listed what's not working.

Also, I'm a bit confused about what's the actual situation with your OBD port. Just to clarify. If your car is Euro or Japanese spec you won't have an OBD port in the modern sense (OBDII). But, you will have a port in the engine bay under a round plastic cover with a 10mm nut in the middle. This port is 38 pin, to use a scanner you need a 38 to 16 pin adapter lead as OBDII scanners are 16 pin.

Now, at bad guess from trying to pick up info from your posts, I'd be leaning towards a faulty electronic ignition switch (E.I.S.) which is not uncommon or a faulty key. As I said that's just a guess, which on it's own is meaningless.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@khomer2, - LHD vehicle

@John Jones Jr., - tl;dr Car went for AC repairs and came back not working from where the original owner gave it. Now it won't crank with no fuel, spark and starter motor. Just wondering what the hell could happen. The Circle diagnostic port under the hood didm't work when connected to am advanced Diagnostics equipment tablet which uses a serial port cable and came with a converter but didn't work so I'm assuming it has no power. Since the car seems immobilized that's why I've yanked the key starting system as it's the only reason I can see why having immobilized my E36 by blowing a fuse.

·
Registered
350 Posts
First thing, I reckon your E36 wiring system is similar to the early non face life W202 C36 for example and not to be confused with the face lifted W202 & the face lifted W210 where the E230, E36 etc were dropped in favor of the E240, E55 etc.

Now, as for your C240. I'd suggest you check the K40 replay which sits beside the engine ECU. It has several fuses, one could be blown or there could dry joints on it's circuit board. Also, there are relays in the fuse box. I'm not too hopeful either of these are the problem (clutching at straws) but if it's any consolation, personally I don't think your problem is a major issue for any good auto electrician or Merc specialist and they should resolve it easily. The bonus points here is that it's one issue - no power and it's not an intermittent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi sorry for the lack of reply haven't had time to do much and things have been a cluster f*** at the moment.

Will most likely pick the car and bring it home for me to do a thorough inspection fuse test and etc as I haven't found a decent Merc person to give the car to yet and also since I need to move it out of the useless garage it currently is at.

Sorry for the anti climatic reply. Will check Kilo 40 and let you know if I find anything. Also sorry for the short reply John Jones Jr but I' ve read what you've written all of it and it makes sense in a few things that have been on my mind.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts