Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
W140 '93 500 SEL
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No matter how tough the car is any major accident is fatal. I have seen plenty of head on crashes.

Cases
1. w123 crash into tanker carrying fuel in malaysia trunk road ---> whole family killed. whole road filled with blood. I had witness this

2. Bus brake fails hits a w123 at check point driver died font left pasenger survives Storey report on straits times

3. I was racing with volvo 850 R turbo in mlaysia when an truck filled full with engine over turns. I slam the brakes went down to the side with gravel and nearly died but managed to get the car out. 850r driver missed car skidded hit the truck and plunged down. I was there. driver died.

4. Pristine mini club man club, head of mini club( malaysia) died after club meeting due to mistake in over taking. Reported on straits times what a waste perfect mini.

5. w210 e200 kompressor. crashes into tree. Saw the car in scrap yard driver dies.( i know because of the insurance claim). i had bought the rear half for a friend.

6. e46 bmw 318 i doctor returning home dies after crashing into tree.

Every car has its limits have not heard much about w126 owners as they are usually old people in singapore that drive slowly. I am probably the youngest owner of a w126.

I have seen personnally a lorry crashed into a w126 from the rear. The lorry driver's head went through his windscreen and died that was really gross a dangling head cut by glass. W126 was was quite badly damaged... went all the way in to the rear glass.

We don't know what may happen next why bother about crashes. If you like the car that's it. A CAR IS JUST A TOY... DO YOU THINK WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO YOUR TOY WHEN YOU ARE HAVE FUN ?

IT IS TOO BAD IF THE TOY GET DAMAGED BUT WE MAY LOSE OUR LIVES. HOW CAN A TOY SAVE YOUR LIVE IF YOU ARE GOING TO DIE.?

I like the w126 not for any thing but i like it no other reason. Why do so many here get so engrossed about crash test, safety etc. That's not the reason we bought a w126. Why not but a merc lorry with air bags you would be safer there.

·
Registered
88,560 SEC & SEL Euros, 06 S-500, 06 SRT8 Magnum
246 Posts
Peter

Sorry if my posting offened you. I sometimes get ticked off myself re: postings on this forum too! specially reading about all the junk and radio crap some guys install on their w126 MBs. Question: I ask for what purpose? all these additions actually depreciate the real value of a true collectors car. Question: why do we have this forum if we can't post w126 interests. I would have thought you would of thanked all of us uphere in North America for sending millions of dollars for your TSUNAMI relief effort. Question: you being one of the select few in banking investments in Singapore what did your investment company contribute to your own relief effort?

MBGary

·
Registered
84 300TD, 2005 CDI, 2006 CLS55
1,041 Posts
There is a w126 here in south florida whose onwers son took the car out without permission. crahsed a a good speed- was on the roof for a bit. Wrapped it around a tree on the drivers side. Not a single body panel was intact. Four teenagers- no one with seat belts on. The windshield was blown out and all four crawled out that way and no serious injuries. Wanna try that in a civic?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
A 240 D/123 was destroyed when it crashed into a tree at high speed and rolled over several times. The car ended up on its roof. The passenger sustained an injury when he fell out of his seat after removing the safety belt. [:0][:I]

·
Registered
W140 '93 500 SEL
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think a benzs are made withstand a certain level of crash how about a head on crash with a trailer at 250 km/h?

That's the reason why i wont want to think further.

So whether honda civic or a benz crashs at that speed it does not make a difference they will die.

I think we should not get obssesed with safety issues just drive carefully and you will be protected.

How about driving in italy. Every body gets hit no matter how carefully you drive. But it's at low speeds.

·
Registered
'90 560SEL
2,551 Posts
Peter, I don't know what started your engine and open this thread, but I know I feel a whole lot safer when driving my old Merc. on the open road than when driving my work vehicle (Mazda E2000 5 door van with tools and paint in the back). The W126 was engineered with some built in protection for occupants - and a band aid available in the back parcel shelf compartment for minor stuff only. You have witnessed some horrible crashes, thank God, to date, that I have not. Safe driving friend.
Dennis.

·
Registered
W140 '93 500 SEL
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes i would agree with feeling a lot safer but i would not want to think about what will happen to a w126 in a major crash.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Yes a 126 is not safe in a major crash such as driving off of a 300 foot cliff or into a truck carrying a thermonuclear device (provided the device detonates) yes, you’ll end up dead.

·
Registered
84 300TD, 2005 CDI, 2006 CLS55
1,041 Posts
Peter- what's your point? driving a tank into a soild object at 250 kph will kill the occupants- and since you think it's pointless to discuss the outcome of a crash, why would you post a thread on it just for the purpose of discussing it?[?]

·
Registered
W140 '93 500 SEL
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cannot understand why everyone is so obsessed about their benz saying it's the safest car. Does that sound ridiculous. I feel a benz is just another car that i don't mind having but would not buy a car for just the crash worthiness of a car...

Even if you have a rolls royce their is no need to keep mentioning of the wood and the interior quality

It's like you have a benz yea it's cheap and safe to drive. Why does everyone get so obsessed and protective in crashes!!!

I hope i would not get involved in a crash.

I think i am rather neutral.

I had a bmw as well and everyone on the bmw board same the same protective stuff i had heard on w126 as well.

·
Registered
280GE 320TE 280SE 3.5 ML500
446 Posts
a 126 down here in NZ got hit in the rear by a bus. it then flew across the road a hit a Chrysler Regal (big ass Aussie car). then flew back into bus. then rolled down a bank .... driver of 126 broken leg. passengers of 126 all fine .... everyone in Regal dead. i guess stories like that are why people talk about the safety of the 126.
sure there's a speed that you reach where it doesn't matter what car your in ... but here in NZ the speed limit is 100kph and being in a Benz can make the difference. just ask the family of the people in the Regal

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
After the crash…

We have cool door handles for the firemen to attach hooks and chains to pull the door off and get is out of a burning car quick while the people with cars with the plastic flipper door things get burned alive. [:0][xx(]

Peter, I’m sure you’re right: it makes no sense to talk about the crashworthiness of a car when one can die in any car at any time – but some of us like to dream our sad little dream that somehow, just somehow, our 126s will save us in a crash, or after. [8)][|)]

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,103 Posts
RE: After the crash…

peter, i'm also a little confused about your point here. what i hear you saying is that in a bad enough crash, not even a mercedes will keep you alive.

okay, that i get.

but then you conclude that because a w126 can't keep you alive under the most extreme situations, it's no safer than any other car. that makes no sense!

all things being equal, a w126 will give you a better shot at survival than your average used car. it's engineered that way. that's just a plain fact. it's not open to debate. that's how it is. period. end of story.

·
Registered
W140 '93 500 SEL
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i think a w140 is a far safer car than w126 so if you were talking of crash worthiness, i would suggest you look for a w140 instead of a w126. Crash worthines is not the strongest point but sheer beauty and reliabilty sholud be more widely mentioned that crash worthiness.

The main point i think we all enjoy our w126, a crash stop this enjoyment of our w126 is that not sad enough to think about? It's really sad to see a smashed up w126 especially when it's a prestine condition example.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,103 Posts
Peter Seow - 3/29/2005 10:04 AM

i think a w140 is a far safer car than w126 so if you were talking of crash worthiness, i would suggest you look for a w140 instead of a w126. Crash worthines is not the strongest point but sheer beauty and reliabilty sholud be more widely mentioned that crash worthiness.

The main point i think we all enjoy our w126, a crash stop this enjoyment of our w126 is that not sad enough to think about? It's really sad to see a smashed up w126 especially when it's a prestine condition example.
i still don't get your point, but after this post i'll let it go. first of all, mercedes cars, in general, are some of the safest cars out there. so, yes, the w140 is a safe car, and the w126 is also a safe car. why does it have to be one or the other? can't they both be safe? second, no one here will argue with you about the w126 being beautiful. again, beauty and safety are not mutually exclusive, so i can't understand why you think we should focus on beauty and not safety. can't we focus on both??? and, lastly, of course it's sad to see a smashed-up w126. hell, it's sad to see *any* car smashed up, especially when it involves death, like the w140 accident in hungary that you posted a link to. i'd even be sad to see a hyundai smashed up, believe it or not. but what does that have to do with the safety of the w126?

so i guess i just don't get your way of thinking. you're saying that it's sad to see a w126 smashed up, w126s are beautiful, and so we shouldn't focus on whether or not they are safe, because there are even safer cars out there. to me, that's like saying apples are fruit, summers are warm, and so we shouldn't eat marshmallows because cotton candy is even sweeter. huh?

·
Registered
1988 560SEL sold:
4,717 Posts
I specifically chose W126 for its reputation for safety.

I am interested in the safety of W126 because it is a feature of paramount importance when I have all the eggs riding in it. For me, W126 is not a toy but a practical means of transportation that is also a pleasure to drive. I have expectations that it will save lives if some errant or drunk driver crosses the line into mine, but I do not expect to survive a collision with a lorry or a crashing flaming plane. W140 might have better chances of surviving crashes but it is a money pit when it comes to maintenance and replacement.

The point is this, I'd rather be driving a car that will save my life 75 out of 100 crashes rather than something that does only 25 out of 100, and a car that is also beautiful, reliable, but not too esoteric as to infringe upon the practical side of owning a car (that rules out Merc/Mack Trucks and Panzers). When I set those criteria, W126 came into picture - I came to appreciate the beauty of W126 more and more after I bought it and I am completely with you on appreciating W126 for its beauty and for what it is.

Different W126 owners have come to own their W126(s) for different reasons - their obsessions may differ from those of yours for that very reason - those differences should be respected. I agree with you that talking about a wrecked W126 in lieu of its beauty is like obsessing over Lady Di's sordid end rather than remebering her for her beauty and courage she gave to others which is something I'd choose to do. However, let us not get trapped in intolerance and narrow-mindedness - there are plenty of politicians and head of states who are quite capable of doing that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts