Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2000 AMG E55
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out that Discovery Channel will be doing a special on our motorcycle club and be following us to our shop 'Godspeed!' during the first week of May. We'll be dynoing our turbo/supercharged/nitrous bikes and HPS is sending me a system next friday to feature on our E55. So if anyone wants to join the fun let me know ASAP.

·
Registered
2002 W210
11 Posts
E55RAT - 4/8/2005 2:25 PM
Just found out that Discovery Channel will be doing a special on our motorcycle club and be following us to our shop 'Godspeed!' during the first week of May. We'll be dynoing our turbo/supercharged/nitrous bikes and HPS is sending me a system next friday to feature on our E55. So if anyone wants to join the fun let me know ASAP.
Count me in, I'll email you at the shop to request the details. My HPS kit should be in soon also, maybe in time for the filming. Congrats!

·
Registered
2000 E55 / 2003 G500 / 2011 BMW M3
776 Posts
Let us know if it runs "right" too - unlike all the problems that FAST55 has documented on this site.

·
Registered
2002 W210
11 Posts
I will post my numbers, before and after - If I get it in time. I can't wait, kinda wish I still had my first generation HPS kit for before and after. There were many cars HPS tested as prototypes other than Fast55's car and they all passed with flying colors. I was one of the first to get the old kit and it never had any trouble. I could only wish that all my pre-production hiccups could be alleviated with a rerouted vacuum line and a non-prototype blower. I was surprised that there wasn't more to iron out. And I am also glad I was able to get mine sooner than expected due to those balking. Thanks!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Frank - You are right, and I'm definately one of those who are "balking".

Can you blame me ? There are very few (if any) satisfied customer testimonials that I can find pertaining to the 2nd Gen system. HPS has done a piss poor job of updating their website, and taking care of the one (much ballyhooed) installation that has been publicized on this site.

"Heard" of a G500 installation, and their own CLK installation - buy no real satisfied customer testimonials that I can find.

HPS - get it together and spread the word. I like the looks and (yes) the price of your system, but - show us the confirmed results and satisfied customers please.

·
Registered
2006 E55, 2005 SLK55, a few others
986 Posts
Actually, it was a G55, and I'm "told" it's still running fine. I would believe it only if I saw it/drove it myself. HPS has been evasive and totally unresponsive to my problems. Today (finally after 3+ weeks AGAIN), my car is supposed to be returned to me. Regardless of how it runs, this is the last HPS system I will own.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Sorry to hear your frustration with them - that sucks for a lot of us who "were" very interesed in their 2nd generation system. It was very promising, but in the end, "results" are what really matter - bottom line.

HPS will have to do some fast and serious damage control at this point to get many of us back onboard.

In my mind, that will start with FAST55 being a completely satisfied customer, followed by many more positive documented product testimonials.

Otherwise - it will be Kleemann for me.

·
Registered
986 Posts
First it was Friday, then today, now tomorrow, for delivery. It dyno'd today at 421 RWHP as before according to the dyno chart sent to me. I can still be satisfied if it works as promised AND all the other things that have been promised in the way of documentation, warranty, etc. are delivered as well. I just did not bargain for this much time away from my car, or the time lost on dealing with it. This would have been a disaster for anyone if the car had been a daily driver. The end result may be a great deal for everyone else now that (hopefully), all the possible quirks are ironed out. Sorry for the OT.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Sorry to continue this OT posting. I didn't mean to vent my frustration. Once again folks, if this is now "fixed" on my car, then I'll be happy with the setup, just not the amount of time it's taken to get it right. James has never posted a dyno showing RWHP that I know of. He's no longer running the basic blower setup from Kleemann, but the S-8? that includes cams, exhaust, etc. so I'm sure he's making much more power than my car. However, this represents a total investment of almost 30K! Even the "base" system is over 15K out the door. This is so much money, that I'm seriously considering a SL55 and leaving the E stock if it isn't "there". $hit happens when you start modifying things.

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
Is that the dyno chart after the most recent repairs? Can you post one that is by rpm? Isn't that air/fuel ratio dangerously rich? Are you worried that the fuel will wash the cylinder walls?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Is that the dyno chart after the most recent repairs? Can you post one that is by rpm? Isn't that air/fuel ratio dangerously rich? Are you worried that the fuel will wash the cylinder walls?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Not at all. How lean is your A/F? I like 12:1 in a SC car while it's at max boost. It's just as lean as always at part throttle.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Mine is around 13.2 to 13.5:1 at cruising speeds. I can't measure mine past around 6 psi because the methanol injection will fool an O2 sensor into reading leaner than actual. Ideal for making hp is around 12.5 to 13.2. However, some will argue that range should be a little richer to make more power at 11.5 to 12.5:1. Anything richer than 12.5:1 is going to cause your engine to have unburned fuel. That unburned fuel serves as a cooling agent in the combustion process but it also can wash the cylinder walls of needed lubricant. I'd be worried that your catalytic converters will have a short life on the, judging by the air fuel curve, 11.0:1 you are seeing on your dyno graph. With that said, some O2 sensors are not that accurate so what may look to be a rich condition on a not so accurate O2 sensor may be just right for your engine.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0402_tune/

Here is a good exerpt explaining air fuel ratios: http://www.autospeed.com/A_1595/cms/article.html

"Before a programmable management system can be effectively tuned, the air/fuel ratio needs to be measured. As described below, the air/fuel ratio will need to vary in different conditions, and so the meter needs to be accurate across a wide range of ratios. While the oxygen sensor found in the factory management systems of all cars can determine rich/lean scenarios, it is not accurate enough to be used in the tuning of programmable management.

Air/fuel ratios are typically measured using a so-called "wideband' air/fuel ratio sensor. This is usually just a normal oxygen sensor that is a little more linear in its behaviour away from the 14.7:1 'switchover' point (where the sensor output voltage suddenly changes from high to low) than a typical oxy sensor. More sophisticated sensors use UEGO or oxygen pump designs, but in tuning workshops these are still almost unheard of.

In addition to this high speed measurement, some workshops use a slower speed gas analyser, logging its results during dyno power runs so that they can compare those readings with the oxygen sensor system. The disadvantage of gas analysers is that they are too slow to get the instant results which are needed when tuning real-time. But for setting the steady-state light-load cruise mixtures, for example, a gas analyser is fine.

Most workshops have high-speed air/fuel ratio metres than read too rich at the rich end. All meters will be able to read around 14.7:1 mixtures in light-load, closed loop cruise - but that same meter may read a full ratio too rich at 10:1 air/fuel ratios. Meters typically read too rich because the exhaust gas temperature compensation is poor. Mixtures around 9-10:1 (ie ultra rich) will cause the car to blow black smoke, but even when workshop meters are displaying that figure, smoke is rarely seen. However, a meter reading richer than reality is in many ways a safe meter - the tuner won't set up the car dangerously lean. But a key question to ask of tuners is: how long since you replaced your air/fuel ratio sensor?

Ratio Requirements
A well-tuned engine used in normal road conditions has an air/fuel ratio that is constantly varying. At light loads, lean air/fuel ratios are used, while when the engine is required to develop substantial power, richer (ie lower number) air/fuel ratios are used.

Bosch state that most spark ignition engines develop their maximum power at air/fuel ratios of 12.5:1 - 14:1, maximum fuel economy at 16.2:1 - 17.6:1, and good load transitions from about 11:1 - 12.5:1. However, in practical applications, engine air/fuel ratios at maximum power are often richer than the quoted 12.5:1, especially in forced induction engines where the excess fuel is used to cool combustion and so prevent detonation.

There is no one air/fuel ratio where all emissions are minimised. At an air/fuel ratio of 14.7:1 oxides of nitrogen peak, while hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide (CO) increase substantially as the air/fuel ratio richens."

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
E55RAT - 4/9/2005 7:25 PM

Remember to smile for the cameras!![:D][:D][:D]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts