Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently used Lexol leather cleaner on my 1998 CLK. I had good experience with Meguiars (sp?), but my local auto supply store was out.

When I applied the Lexol to my steering wheel, my rag had lots of muck on it. Yuck. Could it have that much build up on it? OK, better clean some more. After a couple more applications, I realized I had just taken the finish off my steering wheel, along with all the grain of the leather. The leather is completely smooth -- instead of grained -- and dull and looks like it will wear through soon. Sort of like a taxi cab steering wheel after too much use.

I am really upset about this. I feel the damage on my hands every time I drive the car. The Lexol also took the finish off the center console. Fortunately, the seats and dash appear to be intact, but lack the same luster as before.

I read one other poster who had a negative experience with Lexol. Has anyone else? Does anyone else use Lexol?

Thanks.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I had a similar experience...

but I realized right away that the color was coming off and not just dirt. It is not just Lexol cleaner, It happened when I was detailing my father's lexus. I guess the leather paint/stain breaks down from perspiration/uv etc. Short of getting a new wheel or getting some leather paint, IDK!:(

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I'm not a big fan of Lexol....in the horse circles Lexol is known to be rather aggressive and can do a number on stitching.

I use Letherique on all my cars w/ great results. Or, if just trying to clean things straight glycerin soap.

Jonathan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sure looks like it was Pine Sol. I mean it is as if I took fine grit sandpaper to the steering wheel and took off the whole top layer. It used to have a sort of a glossy varnish over the textured leather. Now it is bare leather without any grain.

I did use a lot of the Lexol. Based on the labeling, I was not concerned about over-applying. Maybe this stuff is harsh enough that it should be used 1X per year or so.

The center console still has grain, but now feels rough and has no luster. It is dull and feel like it is cheap rubber when you run your hand along it.

I am seriously considering replacing the center console piece. I am afraid the steering wheel would just be too expensive, but I might look into it.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Just some advice but its too late. You should apply gently, because its made to take off dirt build up. If your aggressive what happened will happen. Sorry to hear about that. Not much you can do in for steering wheel, but there are restore products that are cheaper to use then a new wheel, good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts