Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
clk 230k
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help. Just as I got my car just awesome, my key has failed and I can't turn the ignition. I can open and lock the doors from the key buttons.

My situation. Iw got the car in may 2012. The spare key didn't work when I got the car, on my list of things to do once more important things were done. Just as all the other faults are fixed, just i wanted to go out with the roof down on the hottest day this year in london, my only working key has stopped working.

I have checked the forums and looks like I'm going to have to get a new key programmed by Mercedes.

Anyone know of any quick fixes that might work if the key is actually ok?
Will resetting the computer work? (not sure how to do this)
Fuses?

Or just accept it and bend over at my local Mercedes dealers?

Any help will be appreciated

·
Registered
02 CLK55 AMG
60 Posts
From what I've read this means the car isn't recognizing the key when you put it in the lock. Does the key IR work to lock and unlock ? Search around the forums as I've seen this problem mentioned a few times.

·
Registered
W208 320 Cab
38 Posts
How may keys have you got i have 2 fat ones that unlock the car and start it and a really thin one that won't open the doors remotely but will start it, in the UK we have had our week of sun ; (

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
clk 230k
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How may keys have you got i have 2 fat ones that unlock the car and start it and a really thin one that won't open the doors remotely but will start it, in the UK we have had our week of sun ; (

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AutoGuide App
Hello rsparso and andy111. Thanks for the reply, rsparso- most of the threads and posts seem to use the phrase "get ready to bend over" at the stealership!

Andy111 thanks I will try that in the morning. :thumbsup:Looks like I've missed all the sun and had to drive around in wife's golf all weekend. Gladly she hates keeping cuddly toys on the parcel shelf. Thats just sad seeing a fella in a girls car.

I wondered what that slim key was for. I just assumed it was a tacky looking holder for the metal key inside it.
I'm a bloke... Owners manual? I got bored at the contents page.

·
Registered
clk 230k
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Couldn't wait till the morning.

Tried the skinny key and it WORKED!!

Thanks Andy111 theres a cold beer waiting for you next time you are in London

Now just need to get some spare keys made.

·
Registered
W208 320 Cab
38 Posts
No probs at all just glad its working, I'm also down to 1 full key, how much was a replacement one in the end please, and I assume merc only,

·
Registered
clk 230k
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep. Merc charge £229 for the key. It takes 7-10 days for the key to come and then you take the car over and they program it to the car. Yet to go collect the key. So will feedback the experience when I do.
However there are some Internet guys who do it for £199 -399 with a new key. So many different advice from different companies offering a replacement key service and they all seem to have a specific merc guy who seems to be on holiday for 2weeks. Strange that. Better stick to merc and pay the extra £30.

·
Registered
96 E320(traded), 99 S500, 02 CLK430 Cabriolet, 07 200T(traded), 11 200T
280 Posts
If you got the key from the dealer, there is no programming required.

When the key arrives, just put it into the ignition it will self programmed it for you. It is expensive and cost over CDN$300, it does come with the current style knob with the silver surround and red panic button.

·
Registered
clk 230k
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have to go to the dealer to pick up the key anyway. At least they will check it works ok. I might as well have free tea and biscuits while I wait. At least £229 worth.

·
Registered
W208 320 Cab
38 Posts
Yes I agree for £30 its not worth the risk, I will cover my remaining key in cotton wool, its just an insane price but there's no other real option,

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
I have to go to the dealer to pick up the key anyway. At least they will check it works ok. I might as well have free tea and biscuits while I wait. At least £229 worth.
Did they ask you for proof of ownership & address, etc? How do they know that you are not stealing the car? :)

·
Registered
clk 230k
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
keyhole

they did ask for photo id with my address that matches the car registration document. and i have to take the car to them (in person) so they are not just handing me a key to steal the car at my leisure.:D

Andy111

i get your point about REALLY looking after the keys. i have a car mad petrolhead 2 year old (must be my genes and not the milkmans) who loves playing with car keys. and he knows which ones go with which car. i have read on the forums of keys stopping working after being dropped on the floor. who hasnt ever dropped a key on the floor?:(

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
.... i have read on the forums of keys stopping working after being dropped on the floor. who hasnt ever dropped a key on the floor?:(

I think that you'll find that the MB key is quite robust. I've dropped mine hundreds of times. Once I even left it in overalls pocket and put it through an entire cycle in my washing machine! Worked perfectly even after that!

·
Registered
W208 320 Cab
38 Posts
keyhole

they did ask for photo id with my address that matches the car registration document. and i have to take the car to them (in person) so they are not just handing me a key to steal the car at my leisure.:D

Andy111

i get your point about REALLY looking after the keys. i have a car mad petrolhead 2 year old (must be my genes and not the milkmans) who loves playing with car keys. and he knows which ones go with which car. i have read on the forums of keys stopping working after being dropped on the floor. who hasnt ever dropped a key on the floor?:(
Yes, I think we need a picture of this beauty, and optional pic's of other things you could have bought for your £230 :) crazy how much they cost,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts