Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML430
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My drivers seat just got burnt by the superior quality heated seat! :eek: It's not so bad, not very noticeable, but burnt indeed. I called the dealer, we are looking at almost 800$ just for the new seat cover. I am curious as to whether I can just remove the heater element from the leather layer on my burnt seat, and put in the heater element from a 99(?) W163. Has anyone ever done that? That part is much cheaper.

Anyways, for the time being I would like to disable the drivers heated seat, - the passenger one still works fine. I think there is a real chance my car could light on fire if someone turns on that seat again! HAHA! But I can't find a fuse? According to this thread: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1411628-seat-heater-wiring-question.html there is a relay in the fuse box, but I can't find it. How can I disable just the drivers heated seat? Thanks!

Also just saw that my 1500$ tires with 3500Km are getting feathering on every tire. Nice job on that alignment fellas. UGH.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
You could unplug the switch in the console or unplug the harness under the seat. Just remember, those heaters aren't defective, they're efficient! ;)

$1500 for tires? Are they made from an endangered penguin hide?

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,836 Posts
#1, It will be easiest to unplug the wire under the seat.

#2, tire wear is not always the fault of a vehicle being out of alignment. A lot of it has to do with driving habits, and the roads you drive on. If you make a lot of turns, if the roads have a "crown" higher in the center. There are many factors that contribute to the tires feathering. How is the tire pressure? At $1500.00 they are probably not the stock tire and are over sized, another factor...

·
Registered
2000 ML430
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right. I will have to find the seat heater wires under the seat. Thanks!

Brought the car in to get checked out today, the alignment is well within spec. They can't figure out what is making the tires feather, its all highway driving and tire pressure/tire size is what the door plate recommends. I got them to put in writing that if the tires become damaged they will be warrantied back by the store. ;)

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,131 Posts
It is the crown of the road. Some tires handle it better than others.

If it is happening more on the front than the rear that is a common issue with AWD vehicles.
I have seen it on Audis, MBs, and BMW X vehicles.

I just rotate them more often and even out the wear pattern that way.
If the rears are feathering badly then checking the rear suspension wear
is worth a look. It may have been in spec on the alignment rack, but the
ball joints could be aggravating the tire issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts