Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 slk230
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys is it true that having the wrong directional tyres on the car can knock out the ABS/ASR??? Was also told another factor is I have 17" alloys instead of the stock 16"s please shed some light, as this sounds like Codswollop!! Oh yeah Dealers told me this by the way!!

·
Registered
SLK 320, C350 CDI
311 Posts
Yep codswallop as long as there is not a difference between front and rear like
17" front and 16" rear it will not upset the ASR

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Nothing to do with rim size. as long as overall diameter of tyre is within about about 6mm there should be no probs.
Rims can be any size or mix.

Sport models came with 17". I have 18", others on here have even 19".

Its about the difference in wheel speed caused by different rolling diameters.

Bazzle

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Check your tire sizes here.............

This web site will give you a good idea if your tires are close to the same outside diameter or not:
http://www.powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi
You need to keep the O.D. within 3% (front to rear) in order NOT to run into problems with the ASR/ESP. Naturally the closer to 0% difference, the better. :)
The outside diameter (O.D.) is all that counts. You can actually run different rim sizes and still not run into problems, although I wouldn't recommend that you do that. :eek:

·
Registered
99 slk230
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Abs/ASR?

Any suggestions what could cause this problem also could the problem with the ABS light put my car in LIMP MODE?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts