Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2000 MB S500
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my wife's S500 in the shop three times since having new wheels and tires put on -- 18" AMGs with Bridgestone SO3s, 245/18/45 on the front and 275/18/40 on the rear. Since then, I have had two problems. The car pulls to the right fairly hard -- enough so that you have to keep slightly steering to the left in order to go straight. Also, it feels like at least one wheel is out of balance. After being aligned twice and the wheels being balanced twice, the car still has both problems. The dealer says that:

1. It is a known issue with S class cars that they will pull to the right if you install directionally rotating tires. Supposedly, this is caused by the fact the right rear wheel does most of the "pushing."

2. The service manager was supposed to have driven the car, and he says he finds nothing wrong with the way the car handles and feels no shimmy or handling problems. Of course, when I got the car back, it drove poorly right out of the service drive.

Does anyone have any information about either of these issues? Any idea what the problem(s) could be?

·
Registered
5 Posts
torque steer

Just had my L rear tire replaced yesterday (due to nail penetrating the side wall) on an F355 spider - when I punched it on the freeway, it pulled significantly to the right - the car has directional tires on it & I assumed the correct tire was replaced - then thought it might be dramatic tire pressure difference between new & old tire...think they installed the wrong directional tire.

Too bad you are in Texas, there is actually ONE competent MB service dealership in LA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Steering problems

I had a similar problem with a 2001 S430. Two tires were changed, new parts were put into the steering system and re-alignment was done twice.
The car was still unstable on the highway and very sensitive to cross-winds.
I traded that car for a 2002 BMW745 and all the problems disappeared.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts