Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
450SLC
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, My dad had a look at my car recently and he seemed to think my dipstick for reading my oil lvl was too short compared to my mothers one in her 1973 350sl o_O my car is a 1973 450slc.

What i would like to know is how long is the dipstick actually ment to be, could someone plz measure theirs and post the full length and min max lengths. ty

·
Premium Member
22,841 Posts
I believe the MB Service CD identifies the correct engine/dipstick combinations by the color of the dipstick handle. I don't have access right now, but there are several combos, a side by side comparison wouldn't be of much help. Dave

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,257 Posts
bluefang said:
What i would like to know is how long is the dipstick actually ment to be, could someone plz measure theirs and post the full length and min max lengths.
isthisdave said:
I don't have access right now, but there are several combos, a side by side comparison wouldn't be of much help.
Must.....not....give.....in...!

·
39,257 Posts
I apologize. Really.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
bluefang said:
could someone plz measure theirs and post the full length and min max lengths. ty
I'll measure mine if you measure yours.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,682 Posts
isthisdave said:
Girth wins...

Mine is short....but it beats the hell out of the sides.

·
39,257 Posts
isthisdave said:
Unwarranted apologies are a sign of weakness....and I KNOW that doesn't apply to Dig!! Apology denied, carry on with your bad self!!!
You'll notice that I rarely use the Smilies. In this case, "Really." = ;)

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
bluefang said:
Hey, My dad had a look at my car recently and he seemed to think my dipstick for reading my oil lvl was too short compared to my mothers one in her 1973 350sl o_O my car is a 1973 450slc.

What i would like to know is how long is the dipstick actually ment to be, could someone plz measure theirs and post the full length and min max lengths. ty
As isthisdave said the oil dipsticks are color coded, unlike the dipsticks in some of the previous posts.
According to my MB CD for a 73 450slc the oil dipstick color code is black.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I had to go look and my dipstick handle is blue. My last oil change they said they used over 9 US quarts. The manual says 8 with filter. Now I'm concerned.
Good question bluefang.
I looked at alot of years and all 81 and newer used a light blue or gray, and 80 and before were black.
Also the manual I have is a US spec so there could be some differences in the engines.
Hopefully some of the other members will help with the correct info.

BTW: This brings back memories of a 76 Chevy 1 ton dually 454ci that burned up one engine, under warranty....
Then about 79 GM sent a recall out that informed the owner to either add a quart of oil or bring it in for a free quart and a new oil dipstick. Duh.

{BT edit}It only held 5 quarts. 6 still wasn't enough. Bad engineering.

·
39,257 Posts
BenzToy said:
As isthisdave said the oil dipsticks are color coded, unlike the dipsticks in some of the previous posts.
According to my MB CD for a 73 450slc the oil dipstick color code is black.

All right. I took my little camera and took pics of the dipstick in the tube and then I used the radiator as a quick reference for the length. The spotty stuff all over the engine parts are from when I opened the system before it completely cooled recently and it got coolant all over the place.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts