Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will likely change the oil in my ML500 over the weekend and be using mobil 0W-40. This would be my 1st time changing the oil so want to make sure I know what I'm doing. From all the reading, I find that there's no dipstick in 06 ML500. Is that true? If so, how can I check the oil level when filling in new oil?
I know I can check it using instrument cluster but I'd like to be able to manually check and not overfill.
Thanks.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Unless you want to go buy a dipstick for a different model year with the same motor, I think you are going to have to live with the situation. I also prefer to have a dipstick and glad my diesel has one. After you use your MityVac all you can do is add the amount specified by the manual which will keep you from over filling and then add when your instruments tells you to.

·
Registered
1999 ML320, 2001 ML320, 1982 380SL, 2006 ML350
55 Posts
The ML500 doesnt come with an oil dipstick. The oil level is checked via the multifunction display in menue 1 "standard display"

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The ML500 doesnt come with an oil dipstick. The oil level is checked via the multifunction display in menue 1 "standard display"
Thanks. Yes, I've used the oil level check in multifunction display. Does that mean, I'll have to keep checking it multiple times when filling new oil to make sure I stay at the correct level? Also, will it tell me if I overfill?
I'm just concerned that I don't want to overfill. I like the traditional dipstick way better!!!

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,102 Posts
If you drain it all out and put in the quantity specified in the owners manual, you won't overfill.

It's REALLY REALLY better to extract oil via the pseudo dipstick tube than it is to drain from underneath. Washers on drain bolts on German vehicles, BTW, are replaced and never reused.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,102 Posts
Unless you want to go buy a dipstick for a different model year with the same motor, I think you are going to have to live with the situation.
Or you can buy the "shop" dipstick from Mercedes. It's not a permanent installation dipstick, but rather a testing tool for shop use. There does exist a tube for this--it has a plastic cap-- and this is the tube also used for vacuum oil extraction.

All of this is explained in the W164 service DVD which ought to be referenced before attempting this or any maintenance/repair procedure. Previous experience with Chevies is irrelevant.

·
Registered
06 ML 500
16 Posts
I will likely change the oil in my ML500 over the weekend and be using mobil 0W-40. This would be my 1st time changing the oil so want to make sure I know what I'm doing. From all the reading, I find that there's no dipstick in 06 ML500. Is that true? If so, how can I check the oil level when filling in new oil?
I know I can check it using instrument cluster but I'd like to be able to manually check and not overfill.
Thanks.
2006 ML500 takes 9.1 Qrts of Mobil 1 0w40 or 5w 40 oil, just put in that much and you don't have to check it, I did it on my 2006 ML 500 a week ago, I took off the shield and draind the oil from the plug, it's no big deal, oil and filter cost $100 stealer wants 350, go ahead DIY and good luck

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2006 ML500 takes 9.1 Qrts of Mobil 1 0w40 or 5w 40 oil, just put in that much and you don't have to check it, I did it on my 2006 ML 500 a week ago, I took off the shield and draind the oil from the plug, it's no big deal, oil and filter cost $100 stealer wants 350, go ahead DIY and good luck
Thanks meghouyerevan. I bought the Mityvac so will try that 1st. If not, draining from the plug is always an option. Did you use 0w40 or 5w40?

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,094 Posts
Thanks meghouyerevan. I bought the Mityvac so will try that 1st. If not, draining from the plug is always an option. Did you use 0w40 or 5w40?
David, check your manual for correct oil quantity. My 05 ML500, which I think has the same engine, uses 8.5 qts of Mobil-1 0W40. I'm not an expert here so I suggest you re-check your manual specifications yourself. meghouyerevan could very well be correct at 9.1 qts. but overfilling to oil can be just as bad as low oil.
Mike

·
Registered
06 ML 500
16 Posts
I used 0w40 but when I went to buy the filter from the dealer I asked also for the oil and they gave me 5w40 and said you can use it too, regarding oil quantity, I think if you use a pump to suck it out you will probably leave some inside that's why 8.5 qrt. will be ok but if you drain it you will take all of it out then you'll need 9.1 qrts.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Use of the MityVac has been over discussed to an extreme length on the W163 forum. There are those that insist that draining the oil from the plug is the best way and removes more oil and others insist that using the dip stick tube for sucking out the oil, as recommended by Mercedes, is the best way. Experiments have been performed by W163 owners and it was found that when the MityVac was used there was no additional oil in the engine when the plug was removed. Also when draining with the plug no additional oil was removed by the MityVac proving that both methods are just as good. It's a matter of personal preference. The dip stick tube is designed to remove all the oil in all the later Mercedes engines. You do not have to insert a small tube all the way down the dip stick tube. All you need to do is connect the appropriate size tube in the flanged top end of the dip stick tube. I usually use one of the MityVac small tubes at the very end of removing all the oil to get the last ounce of oil out but usually get nothing to very little more oil after just using the dipstick tube. I hope this helps. Using the MityVac to change the oil and filter in modern Mercedes engines is one of the simplest and easiest jobs you will do.

W164 owners, I am interested in knowing what your manual states as the Oil Capacity of your ML500.
Mike

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Actually 550 in the W164:
In 2006 there was a W164 ML500 which had the same engine as the 2005 W163 ML500. The ML550 came some time after 2006 and was a completely different engine than the 500. The original post by David was referring to a 2006 ML500 dip stick & oil change.
Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
I purchased an ML500 a few months ago and recently changed the oil via extraction from what looked like a dipstick tube with a plastic cap on the end. If the other ML models have a real dipstick, why wouldn't the ML500...especially since there is a tube there? Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't make much sense.

Rob

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,504 Posts
I purchased an ML500 a few months ago and recently changed the oil via extraction from what looked like a dipstick tube with a plastic cap on the end. If the other ML models have a real dipstick, why wouldn't the ML500...especially since there is a tube there? Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't make much sense.

Rob
Old post, but I hope crtfour realized that the tube with the red cap on it is for transmission fluid and NOT motor oil . The actual oil dipstick on the W163's is on the right side of the block, facing engine, and it should contain a dipstick all the time.
The transmission dipstick is MUCH longer and it is totally removed after checking fluid level and then the ca goes back on......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts