Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you get a dipstick to check the oil rather than just the central computer? Is the black plug behind the intake cover, is that where techs use one to check the oil? 02 320, TIA!:bowdown:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Who sells dipsticks for that?
I thoguht it was only for oil changes too, never thought there were 3rd party dipsticks available.

·
Registered
4 Posts
quick question why do you want a dipstick?
you can check you engine oil level inside the car on the dashmounted computer

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
I don't believe there's a specific dipstick for your car. The MB service dipstick you buy at the dealer is a really long general purpose dipstick that measures from the bottom of the pan up and you'll need the spec for your car to check the level, otherwise. Once you master the skill of checking your oil, you can move on to other uses for this dipstick like checking your transmission fluid. I'm guessing you can buy a general purpose dipstick at an auto supply store and use that but you'll have to scratch the markings in yourself once you have the specs.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I don't believe there's a specific dipstick for your car. The MB service dipstick you buy at the dealer is a really long general purpose dipstick that measures from the bottom of the pan up and you'll need the spec for your car to check the level, otherwise. Once you master the skill of checking your oil, you can move on to other uses for this dipstick like checking your transmission fluid. I'm guessing you can buy a general purpose dipstick at an auto supply store and use that but you'll have to scratch the markings in yourself once you have the specs.
I am too lazy to look...but wasnt there a post before with dipstick part number? from that post i was under impression that MBD's sell a specific to the car dipstick...
Why not just use CPU to check it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Guess for me I am just old skool.
Sometimes I dont trust computers 100% when it comes to things mechanical, sensors can go bad, computers can give false positives, etc... Relying on a stick that I can get a visual on makes me more comfortable inside, or what I am used to.
I think its the same reasoning as why some people change the oil earlier than the 10k mark.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yea, it's a universal dipstick that you can get at the MB dealer for approx.$25 but it doesn't fit to where you can leave it in like a factory part. It's too long and you will end up removing it until next check. But for that matter any universal dip stick will work. You will just need to measure depth of the oil in the pan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll pick one up too. I'm old school a bit, I'll trust the sensors on the coolant but I like to check the oil, even if just for verification.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Can you get a dipstick to check the oil rather than just the central computer? Is the black plug behind the intake cover, is that where techs use one to check the oil? 02 320, TIA!:bowdown:
The black plug at the rear of the intake cover is for the transmission. The engine oil dipstick tube is located in front of the engine to the left of the right air intake tube.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
The black plug at the rear of the intake cover is for the transmission. The engine oil dipstick tube is located in front of the engine to the left of the right air intake tube.
Not for 320...the 320 plug is black and is to the right of the battery. I do my own oil changes and thats where it is. Maybe its different for the 240.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
You can put the car into Dyno mode and get the actual oil level on the readout. I do that when changing the oil, it's quite handy for the last little bit of top up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts