Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Dimming rearview mirror

2822 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  coco southwood
Anyone know if a dimming rearview mirror ca be baought and installed in a S320 which has not got the option. If so anyone know how much they are selling for?

Cheers

Yohan
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
BMW E36, MB W140
179 Posts
the dimming mirror is self-contained unit, the sensors are in the mirror. Just get one ...

the dimming mirror is self-contained unit, the sensors are in the mirror. Just get one from another W140 and give it 12v power.

you could also buy one of those universal dimming mirror (like the ones for Gentex or Donelly? , some of which have built-in compass)... though i don't know what you would do with the IR Remote sensor that is below the MB mirror.

cheers

· Registered
86 560SEL
1,334 Posts
I have one of those in my 560SEL, Donnelly, I think. Cost me abit over $200.00 for the mi...

I have one of those in my 560SEL, Donnelly, I think. Cost me abit over $200.00 for the mirror and $80 to install. It came with a wire to hook up the outside temp and it's mounted right behind the license plate would be. Now I have a reading in F and a reading in C. Replaced the car one because the LCD went bad, and it's from a European car.
BTW, isn't your W140 came with one too?

· Registered
BMW E36, MB W140
179 Posts
my w140 has dimming rear-view mirror...

but what bugs me is that the side mirrors a...

but what bugs me is that the side mirrors are not dimmming, so i still get glare on those (from SUVs and stuff)... anyone know if there were ever dimming mirrors for the side mirrors?

· Registered
86 560SEL
1,334 Posts
I just aim mine a bit lower so not reflecting the headlights directly but bright enough to...

I just aim mine a bit lower so not reflecting the headlights directly but bright enough to see a car next to me.

· Registered
2001 S500
44 Posts
Re: my w140 has dimming rear-view mirror...but what bugs me is that the side mirrors a

but what bugs me is that the side mirrors are not dimmming, so i still get glare on those (from SUVs and stuff)... anyone know if there were ever dimming mirrors for the side mirrors?
In 98 the w140 came with auto dimming driver side mirror.

· Registered
93 300SE, 07 BMW 328i Coupe, 01 GSX-R1000
940 Posts
Rear-view mirror

I am absolutely amazed with the rear-view mirrors in these cars!

I cannot figure out how they make bright lights a dim green . . .

When I first got the car, I thought that the sensor would cause the mirror to tilt down for you; however, the mirror does not tilt at all. It seems, like magic, to tint the mirror depending on how much bright light there is behind you.

My friends think that it works on the same principle as tinted eyeglasses, but I don't believe this is how they operate. Otherwise, why would there be a light sensor?

Can anyone enlighten me as to how the mirror actually dims the light? I am just amazed by it and would like to know how it actually works . . .

Regards,
Bryan

· Registered
S600 LWB
36 Posts
RE: Rear-view mirror

They are 'photochromatic' dimming mirrors. There is a thin liquid like film in the mirror glass, and when the sensor detects glare, the mirror dims, using some sort of reaction (chemical/electrical), but i'm not sure how it works exactly. It's definitely not the same way as the sun glasses though!

· Registered
76 Posts
im not sure haw the mirror works but when it comes to instaling a new rw mirror i seen this cool gadet on speedvision cople of weeks ago it has four sensers in evry each tiers and sends the signal to the mirror which has a electronic readout and it show's u the exact psi's at evry tire at evry time i think thats pretty neet propoble wood comein handy if u constently change the terain u drive in or u r chep and got some old ass tiers with some air leeks so u know what and whean has to be takein care of

· Registered
211 Posts
i bought one off ebay (UK) for 30 or 35 quid... - whats that 50 bucks?

perfect nick - in MB box.

has one socket - abot 1/2" diameter D ish sghaped, 7 wires

colors (colours?? ;) )
(on one 'loom' / harness)
grey with blue stripe
brown

on the other
red
white
purple (? im colour blind... might be blue...)
green
black

i gess the brown is earth, the grey / blue is power for self dip

the others are for the alarm...

any info anyone?

G

·
brought a self dimming mirror off ebay to replace the naf blue shaded one on the passenger side,but the originalblue onehas two wiresin ( heated )the new
one has four( one for heati guess) is the other two for a supply to autodim,it does not seem to haveas many as the someone else mentioned ( 7 ), can any one give an answer, please. [V]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.