Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We currently have a '98 accord which we want to replace with 2008 E350 or E550. Checked with few private owners. Getting 2008 E550 with 52k miles, 1 owner and immaculate condition with premium II package for $30K, 2008 E350 with 44K miles for $27K. There were few 2007 E350s we saw with 70K miles apprx. We are not able to decide which one to go with and are in a fix. Also I'm not sure if we are making any deal in this. This is the first time we'll own a mercedes (though have a 323i), so kind of excited about it also little nervous to make the right purchase. Any information will be appreciated.

advitha

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We did our part of the pre-purchase inspection with both the cars. Both are in very good condition with 550 being excellent and always maintained regularly in dealership. Our concern is if we are paying the right price. With 550 warranty expired and 350 almost expiring, we might need to shell out some extra $$ to get the extended warranty as I understand from reading several threads in this forum. We are planning to have a certified MB mechanic inspect the car. Our personal choice was 550 because of the smoothness in ride and the power it offers. At the same time, in bayarea roads where traffic is always there, I think there won't be a need for a V8 (this will be one of our daily commute car, we commute for around 15 miles each way every day).

Are the prices looking fair and better? or are we over-paying for the car?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Get either one but make sure you get the warranty, these cars will will eat your lunch and it's going to cost you much much much more to maintain and repair than your last car. We love ours but it has been in 5 times in the last year and a half for warranty repairs and each visit would have cost us a bundle.

Dan

·
Registered
97 Posts
+1 on the extended warranty. Out of pocket expenses can average $2-3k every year without the warranty coverage. Trust me, I know -- I didn't get the extended warranty. The upside of this is that it forces you to learn how to DIY on your car.

If you're buying from the dealer, there's no harm in playing hardball and trying to get a lower price. I was very firm with my price and even walked from the negotiating table only to receive a call 15 minutes later, when I was already back on the road, asking me to come back and sign papers at the price I asked.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Get the E550. Trust me it comes in handy in city traffic. I live in the DC area where we have some of the county's worst traffic but the extra power available with the E550 is certainly handy when you are driving in city traffic as it gives you an extra degree of security to be able to get away from most situations you don't want to be in.

Also the acceleration on the highway is astounding. It takes you no time to go from 60-80 for passing or merging.

I like the engine of the E550 so much that I would not trade it in for a newer generation E350 (W212) if one was offered to me for exchange...

Does the E550 have 4MATIC? I'd definitely try to get one with 4MATIC if you can.

+ 1 on the warranty. In fact I'd get a certified one and extend the warranty to 7 years.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hi,

We currently have a '98 accord which we want to replace with 2008 E350 or E550. Checked with few private owners. Getting 2008 E550 with 52k miles, 1 owner and immaculate condition with premium II package for $30K, 2008 E350 with 44K miles for $27K. There were few 2007 E350s we saw with 70K miles apprx. We are not able to decide which one to go with and are in a fix. Also I'm not sure if we are making any deal in this. This is the first time we'll own a mercedes (though have a 323i), so kind of excited about it also little nervous to make the right purchase. Any information will be appreciated.
advitha
I have the E350 and find the engine more than powerful enough.
I'd hate to see you put in reg gas when the price goes up and that V8 sucks a lot of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does the E550 have 4MATIC? I'd definitely try to get one with 4MATIC if you can.

+ 1 on the warranty. In fact I'd get a certified one and extend the warranty to 7 years.
It doesnot have 4MATIC, its a RWD. This is from a private owner. We looked at certified too but not many 550s are there in the dealership somehow.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It doesnot have 4MATIC, its a RWD. This is from a private owner. We looked at certified too but not many 550s are there in the dealership somehow.
If you are buying a 550 from a dealer you need to expand your search radius. Only about 5% of the E class cars sold are 550s. Took me 8 months of looking to find a 550 with the options I wanted and I had to drive 3 hours to bring the car home. But was worth it!

Do you get snow where you are at? If you d, you might want to make sure to get 4MATIC.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts