Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

Still sorting out my wife's 81 380sl and came across a video to install the shifter bushing on some of the older MB models by dropping the transmission and even having to purchase a special bushing tool.

I noticed the shifter is really sloppy so without the benefit of sticking my head up underneath the car, I have to assume the bushings are either shot or completely gone. Has anyone on here had success in replacing these bushings without needing a special long handled tool or having to drop the transmission down? I will crawl under the car this weekend to see just how much room is under there, but any suggestions from those members who have done this repair would be great.

Thanks and I will post some photos if I end up doing this repair over the weekend.

Ted

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
My local gas station mechanic did the job in about 10 minutes without special tools or cuss words. I bought the bushings but decided to use him and his lift rather than crawl under the car myself.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
My local gas station mechanic did the job in about 10 minutes without special tools or cuss words. I bought the bushings but decided to use him and his lift rather than crawl under the car myself.

Where did you purchase the shifter bushings?
Part numbers?

If not too difficult, I would like to do my 560SL.

Thanks

Carl

·
Registered
406 Posts
I replaced my shifter bushings while laying on my back with the car on jack stands.

It was a pain in the butt, but I later learned that there is a special pair of pliers that eases the job. I'll have a pair of them if I ever have to do the job again.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts

·
Registered
6,598 Posts

·
Registered
6,598 Posts

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
I replaced my shifter bushings while laying on my back with the car on jack stands.

It was a pain in the butt, but I later learned that there is a special pair of pliers that eases the job. I'll have a pair of them if I ever have to do the job again.
There is...here's a pic

Ebay has quite a few listed...search for "mercedes transmission bushing tool"

·
Registered
116 Posts
i had mine replaced this spring at a MB dealership because they quoted me a price of $ 8.00 each ( two req. ) and $ 42.00 labor couldn't pass that up. 115-992-03-10 that number was good for our 1976 107

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,457 Posts
i had mine replaced this spring at a MB dealership because they quoted me a price of $ 8.00 each ( two req. ) and $ 42.00 labor couldn't pass that up. 115-992-03-10 that number was good for our 1976 107
They only gouged you a little. Mercedes MSRP is $4.00 each. Just a hint to beware next time they quote you a price on parts.

·
Registered
21,739 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you don't mind crawling under the car, the labor savings will pay for one of these tools sets:
https://mercedessource.com/store/automatic-transmission-shift-rod-bushing-replacement-tool-kit-new-bushings-included

Take note of that little piece of wire that is used for the clips. Until you use one, it will be hard to understand how that little tool can make everything so much easier regarding the clip.

View attachment 1501409

You got it -- that's the special tool I was talking about. I've watched a ton of videos by that guy Kent and he seems like he knows his stuff. I went ahead and ordered the tool from that site and it comes with the shifter clip removal "pipe cleaner" and two new bushings as well. I know there was a thread on here about listing specialty tools for sale or renting them out so after I am done with my install I will post this tool on there for others to use and return on the honor system. I cannot image I will have much use for this tool after I install these bushings since I don't see them wearing out for as long as my wife own the car.

Hopefully I don't have to remove the driveshaft and drop the rear of the transmission down just to get my hand in there. I will post what I fidn and snap a few photos if I can get my phone in there close enough.

Thanks guys and gals!!

Ted

·
Registered
21,739 Posts
I don't think I have any use for the bio pliers bushing too as te only car I need to do bushings on is my stick shift that has different bushings. The clips are the same though. I was thinking of getting a foot or so if some heavy gauge house wire and grinding two opposing sides flat to see if I could make one of Kent's clip tools.

I may need the whole shibang for my 1973 280se 4.5 though. It has a column shift, but I think that most of the bushings are the same.

There's a w114 enthusiast down the road from me that had the tool though. So I can easily grab it from him.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
18 Participants
RLT61
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing