Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 300TDT WAGON , 82 300DT SEDAN, 84 300TDT WAGON(retired),
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
81 300TD.
I took off the whole rear end to fix the brake lines and SLS systems.
cleaned and rust painted the trailing arm, sub-frame. Also
I replaced the 4 trailing arm bushings(BOGE,$11/EACH).

When I remove them from sub-frame, it came off quite easy after unbolted.
Today, I put trailing arms back to sub-frame, I found it's not easy, it is very tight to assemble them back.

Is this normal ?

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
IIRC there are two types of bushings, one is to offset certain suspension geometries. I'm not 100% sure of what the differences are but did you get the correct (original) bushings?

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
I think it is pretty difficult to buy the eccentric bushings - so my guess is that it probably won't be that.

With new bushings in place in the trailing arms there seems to be a little bit more meat on them compared with the old ones (which is good!). Even so make sure that the bushings are seated correctly.

It takes a little bit more effort to pop them into place. If you have trouble put a little bit of KY jelly on the sides of the bushings to help with the awkward penetration...

Only use water based lubrication products as oil based products can damage rubber. Don't go over the top and get too enthusiastic about it. You only need a small amount of lubricant in this situation.

Installing trailing arms is best done on a flat surface with the ends of the subframe sitting up a bit - stick them on wooden blocks. With a bit of trailing arm wiggling you might realise that the trailing arms can be put in a sweet spot that will help them slide on in there. If you are struggling with a moving sub frame whilst trying to fit the trailing arm you'll find that you end up with a geometric lock situation. So pay attention to the gaps between the mounting points and the trailing arm.

When you come to tighten the bolts on the trailing arms - make sure you've got the relative heights of the trailing arms and the sub frame correct - see FSM for that bit.

Good luck.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IIRC there are two types of bushings, one is to offset certain suspension geometries. I'm not 100% sure of what the differences are but did you get the correct (original) bushings?
I think they are , the parts number is 1263520165.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it is pretty difficult to buy the eccentric bushings - so my guess is that it probably won't be that.

When you come to tighten the bolts on the trailing arms - make sure you've got the relative heights of the trailing arms and the sub frame correct - see FSM for that bit.

Good luck.
Which section of the Fsm?

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts